ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running in a new engine

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Having a new engine built but im unsure how the engine should start its life. Its not a cheap engine so i need to make sure everything is right when it comes to starting it and running it for the first time. I have a few possibilities in terms of how the engine should be ran initially.

1) Fit the engine to the car and do the standard new engine sequence and after run it around on different roads, giving it different loads/rpm etc. Problem is that the current map is designed for a standard engine with bodies and the new engine is totally different so will run badly. Paul has recommended a wideband sensor to help with this.

2) Similar to 1) but instead of running it on a road, run it on a rolling road and have someone adjust the map to suit. Then drive the car for a few hundred miles then take it back for real mapping.

3) Pay the money and get the engine hooked up to an engine dyno and get someone else to run the engine in, in a controlled environment.

any other suggestions?

thanks
carl

Megane 2 GT 165
I guess it all depends on how different the engine is, and how much money you spend on it already.

1 & 2 have a bit of risk in it.
3 you pay the money as you said, however it will most likely good controlled while running in. (+ it isn't yet build in your car. + you get actual power figures)

BTW how much more is option 3, then option 1 or 2 just for my info.

172 5HED
What spec is it?? If its a decent spec and not tuned to within an ounce of its life then it should be ok surely?

clio 172 luna speedl
been talkin to a clio cup race team about this today.

and they was tellin me that they dont run them in they just race them flat out after all the checks are made.

and the engine run 2 seasons with no work. and there much faster motors

Lionel Richie
millers do a specific running in oil from memory

i'd whack a mineral in, give it some "how's your father", drain it and whack in some decent stuff

Qashcow
please dont slate me for saying this anyone, but i know some of the GTR tuners both in the UK and abroad argue endlessly one 2 options, some say pussy foot it around for 1000 miles etc so options 1 and 2 kinda of thing. the other tuners are off the idea, nail the f**k out of it from new and run everything in initially the way its going to be driven its whole life.

these arent race teams or anything, or race cars, but are highly tuned none the less. my 2p at least :s

R26
please dont slate me for saying this anyone, but i know some of the GTR tuners both in the UK and abroad argue endlessly one 2 options, some say pussy foot it around for 1000 miles etc so options 1 and 2 kinda of thing. the other tuners are off the idea, nail the f**k out of it from new and run everything in initially the way its going to be driven its whole life.

these arent race teams or anything, or race cars, but are highly tuned none the less. my 2p at least :s

Thats what i did with my 133RS.... Its gone now :)