ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running In

GW Clio 200

Running in

I have read various articles in magazines and on the net, trying to find the best solution to running in a car. I have been told that the best thing to do is to run it hard and seal the piston rings within the first 20 miles. After that, take it for an immediate oil change to wash out any bits of sh!t left due to the boring of the engine. Replace the oil with semi sythetic and run hard again for the first thousand.

I have heard also the exact opposite

Also, do you guys and girls use shell Optimax and if you didnt use it and then started to, did you see a significant performance increase to warrant using it continuously

MOST people on here will tell u to follow the manufacturers guids ! eg stay below 3500RPM for 600 miles etc ! and optimax is a funny topic some peeps say its the dogs danglies and others say its as good as supermarket petrol ! The choice is up to u ! Whether ur wallet will allow it ! If i had the money i wud ( I use BP ultimate ) .

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Do about 850 miles of steady driving and then after that you can thrash its ass off.Ive tried optimax but didnt notice any difference to using normal petrol.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Moderately thrash it from new and get the oil replaced with decent synthetic stuff after 1000 miles.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

I try to use optimax most of the time and I find my car ticks over better when cold and feels more responsive.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by .:xTreme:. on 15 November 2003

Running in

I have read various articles in magazines and on the net, trying to find the best solution to running in a car. I have been told that the best thing to do is to run it hard and seal the piston rings within the first 20 miles. After that, take it for an immediate oil change to wash out any bits of sh!t left due to the boring of the engine. Replace the oil with semi sythetic and run hard again for the first thousand.

I have heard also the exact opposite

Also, do you guys and girls use shell Optimax and if you didnt use it and then started to, did you see a significant performance increase to warrant using it continuously
I ran mine in properly mate and with only 2700 miles on the clock it ran a 14.5secs 1/4 mile with only a Viper, so taking it easy aint done mine any harm!

In fact, thats bl00dy quick for basically standard! ;)

Yet my mate mailto:r@ped">r@ped his from day one and its not as quick as other 172s plus sounds like a feckin diesel on cold startup!

Lee

BMW M2C

I ran mine in as recommended by the manual and have run it on Optimax from day one. Its only had 3 tanks of none Optimax in 12k miles. Why would people want to use anything other than Optimax anyway, Renault recommend 98 ron fuel for optimal running, so that leaves you with no other choice.

172 Cup

All I can add is that I followed the guide lines strickly with my 172 but ragged it from day 1 with my Cup. The Cup sounds better and doesnt feel as rough.

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 21 November 2003

Why would people want to use anything other than Optimax anyway, Renault recommend 98 ron fuel for optimal running, so that leaves you with no other choice.
Well thats cleared that up, looks like ill be coming to a shell station near me soon !!!!

Lee

BMW M2C

I think theres a little chart in the manul too which states that normal unleaded is fine for but optimal running 98 ron is recommended. Stops the engine pinking apparently.

How long have you go left to wait?

Lee

BMW M2C

I take it you have booked the day off work. :D I hope the roads are dry for you too mate, everytime Ive had a new car its chucked it down. :(

172, Tiguan

:eek: stalking, LOL!! IMO running the car in is essential mate. Just take it easy. Less than 4k for 650 miles etc etc. Its well worth it.

<

Lee

BMW M2C

He beat me by 0.010 of a second mate. You can just make the times out on the boards I think.

Ive been driving normally. Not thrashing it but not pottering about either. Ive gone over 4000rpm a few times. Its still quicker than most cars without trying.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 21 November 2003

thought the cup had a knock sensor and therefore it wouldnt pink?
It does and it shouldnt

The 172 and Cup have a knock sensor but maybe it isnt working or isnt reacting fast enough to stop the pinging.

EDD