ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

running power cable next to rca’s

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

is it ok to run all the wires down one side ?

will it cause any probs with sound at all?

trying to make a custon mount to put an amp in the rear quarter.

[Edited by mr sheep on 09 February 2005 at 12:21am]

Polo + Micra

do it. ive never had a problem.

and unless someone can prove that it does interfere i will keep saying it

VaVa

Should be. try it and see what its like. You may get inteference, you may not. Screening tha power cable in any way will help.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Dink on 09 February 2005

do it. ive never had a problem.

and unless someone can prove that it does interfere i will keep saying it
The theory behind the interference is simple, but high quality screened cable should prevent it from happening. Or even un shielded twisted pair. It doesnt stop the interference but splits it equally across the two channels thus cancelling it out.

ive never bothered about it before - always saved me from pulling trim apart on both sides of the car - lol.

im a interior removale person when it comes to wiring :oops:

just feel more comforatble with the wires having their own specific channel

the theory is correct with cheap quality wiring kits, but i still prefer to negate the risk

Clio 197

On my first ever install, I ran them both down the same side, and luckily got away with it (I didnt know better anyway).

On my last two installs, I have kept them separate, just like I was told to.

VaVa

could you explain please lagerlout cos i would like to know?
The power cable has a (varying) electro-magnetic field. Believe it or not the voltage travelling down your power wire to your amp when your is engine running is a far from pure DC voltage, thus it can interfere with a sinusoidal signal.

This field is picked up by the signal cable, amplified, and can thus be heard out of the speaker as a buzz or a hum.

However, the shielding around the RCA cable prevents the magnetic field from affecting the signal carried by the cores.

Usually inteference in a car audio system is picked up elsewhere and not via crosstalk between cables.

Sorry if it doesnt make sense. Ill have to get me college notes out again. lol.

BMW 320d Sport

lagerlout pretty much said it. Its a good 10 years since I did electronics at uni, but basically any wires running alongside each other can induce a current in each other i.e. as if by magic, they can create current in the other wire. Thats how transformers work.

So if you ran a big power cable alongside an RCA pair which conduct a very low level signal, it is quite likely that the RCAs would pick up interference from the power cable because as Lagerlout said, its not direct current but is actually varying slightly. Not enough to knacker your amps, but enough to be picked up. This problem can be solved by running shielded RCA cable which most decent ones are anyway.

you could be lucky and get away with it. People probably dont bother, because its almost as much hassle to run cable down one side as it is to do both, so its not worth the bother of finding out youve got interference once the carpet it all back in again. If you do want to run the cables down the same side, make sure youre running shielded RCA cable, and try to keep them spaced apart. If youve got no choice about runnign them close, try to zig-zag the cables a bit so theyre not totally parallel.

Polo + Micra

yes but you induce and equal amount on each rca. due to the fact the rca cables are together?

yes its from ripple free dc but it only cotains little amounts of ac that may cause a problem.

VaVa

yes but you induce and equal amount on each rca. due to the fact the rca cables are together?

yes its from ripple free dc but it only cotains little amounts of ac that may cause a problem.
Granted the ripple may be small . Im with you on this one mate, the effect, if any is negligble. Ive certainly never had a problem. I just thought you wanted to know the theory behind it!! Obviously you already knew!!

You do induce an equal amount on each RCA but this will not cancel out ( the average value of two indentical sine waves 90 degrees out of phase is zero, thus they cancel out) unless the RCA cores are in a twisted pair. Which they wouldnt be, as modern screened cable like co-ax is far more adept at keeping the interference at bay than a UTP is at cancelling it out!

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 09 February 2005 at 10:36pm]