ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

running problem :(

Focus RS, 182 gone
Iv got a clio 1.4 rt 1994 i use as a runabout to keep the miles off my main car. Its recently developed a starting problem as in it takes about 5 attempts to start and flatspots like mad for the 1st half a mile or so. After this its runs ok but the tick over is really lumpy.

Iv changed the plugs, leads, distributor cap, rotor arm and still no joy. The problem 1st occured after i changed the spark plugs, but iv since changed them again and its still the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Clio 182
hiya mate check the condition of the coil pack. Also check that the map sensor rubber pipe isn't split. the sencor sits rite beside the coolant bottle.

Focus RS, 182 gone
i checked the coil pack it looks ok and the map sensor rubber pipe isnt split, im confused as to why its started ticking over at 600/700 revs and there seems no way to adjust it as im assuming its single point injection. It doesnt missfire when im driving it. Do you know if there is a sensor on the coolant for the ecu? as i cant think of anything else to try now.

Thanks

Clio 182
There is a sencor in the cylinder head behind the therostat housing. i ave that them rot out due 2 poor coolant try there n let my know. sorry 4 latness of reply been proper busy,,,,,

Focus RS, 182 gone
i still have this problem, iv cjanged the coil pack and its exactly the same. what job does the map sensor do as i have a spare one of these, could it be that causing the problem?

clio 1.4RT
To be honest ive no idea what it does but its got something to do with the changed of air pressure in the air inlet manifold i think.

let me know how you get on cos im in the same boat

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Map sensors calculates the amount of air going into the engine from what i remember, the idle could be the Map sensor is dodgey, try and replace it if you can

Focus RS, 182 gone
im starting to think its definitely a sensor. I was going to buy a another car to run about in but after looking iv realised id need to spend at least a grand so it may be more cost effective to repair the clio, im thinking of sticking the replacement starter on because that died on me yesterday due to the 30 secs + a day it takes to start it up, then having it on a diagnostic machine for £40. will that tell me where the problem is? do the ecu's on a clio that old log faults?

also i forgot to add that it runs jerky for most of my jorney now aswell, it really doesnt run well at all. the plugs etc. dizzy cap and leads, coil pack have all been changed so it must be a sensor.