ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

running without backbox, damage my engine?

RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup
My standard backbox fell off on the M25 yesterday, and have ordered a replacement stealth system from ktec, but until it arrives and is fitted, i still need to use my car.

the noise is stupid loud, but I really can't do without my car!

my question is, will it damage my engine?

172 mk2...with clima
visa_king said:
My standard backbox fell off on the M25 yesterday, and have ordered a replacement stealth system from ktec, but until it arrives and is fitted, i still need to use my car.

the noise is stupid loud, but I really can't do without my car!

my question is, will it damage my engine?

yes, it will be running weak. That is not good. Running rich is not dreadful but running weak leads to the engine running too hot and you may burn out valves or burn holes in the tops of pistons.

Not recommended.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
:rofl: at this thread. If you get damage from not having the backbox on then I will eat a bicycle.

172 mk2...with clima
White16valver said:
er, how will it run lean??

I don't understand! :S lol

lack of back pressure; an engine breathing more will always tend towards leanness - but do correct me if i am wrong Polarbert

after you've picked yourself up off the floor, obviously ;)

last time the backbox fell off a vehicle of mine (lovely works van it was) you could feel the lack of power

it will hardly explode going down the shops but extended use would not be recommended, or that's what i would think...

106 GTi
Had to drive my 306 15 miles to get a backbox after it fell of, it's only a 1.4 and feels slow at the best of times, without a back box it was shockingly slow!

RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup
it definately feels slower, and i am going to get it fixed asap, thanks for all the comments!
getting up and starting it at 6.30 am is not going down too well with the neighbours i imagine...

BMW E46 330i Touring
I had to drive about 100 miles on the motorway without my backbox in my 172 (well, I had the backbox.. in the boot) and it was a couple days later before it was fixed. Lost power but Mr. AA man said no damage would come of running the car like it for a little while, just keep the windows wound up!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Mine has just dropped off and is definately slower. Doesn't use anymore fuel though and nothing has lit up yet.