ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ says oops

53 Clio's & counting
I'v got another one :eek:

2012-08-14101738.jpg

2012-08-14101748.jpg

2012-08-14101753.jpg

2012-08-14102441.jpg

Now the eagle eyed CS members may recognise it, and that is because I have owned it before lol, see below:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?594445-Russ-s-very-exclusive-Exclusive

So, how come I have it back? Well the long and the short of it was I got it for a very good price, and managed to sort out delivery cheap, meaning it owes me £550.

Some of you may have noticed the silly exhaust angle, that is because it has no exhaust manifold on it. And in turn that is because it has no head on it lol.

I purchased it from Riley off here (Who by the way is a bloody great bloke, and a pleasure to deal with, if anyone ever wants to purchase anything from him, you will have no problems at all, thanks again mate!) who originally thought it may have jumped a tooth and done some valve damage due to the loud tapping it was making, but as soon as I popped the bonnet I could see what I think has happened:

2012-08-14101714.jpg

2012-08-14101720.jpg

2012-08-14101915.jpg

Looks like a chunk of piston has broken off, and from the marks on the head it looks to have been rattling around in the cylinder. Plus the head gasket is split, though im not sure if that was done when removing the head.

I have not had the chance to have more than a quick look once it was off the transporter, so it's off into my lockup and il have a better look over the next few days or so.

The only parts that are missing from when I sold it are the Schrick cams and KW's, the rest of the car is complete, and I sold it on 86k and it's only on 90k now.

The rest of it is pretty much the same as when I sold it, the bodywork I would describe as ok - a little tatty in places, where as the interior (Including the steering wheel) is like new

2012-08-14101801.jpg

2012-08-14101810.jpg

And the pile of parts in the boot lol

2012-08-14101829.jpg

So what am I planning on doing with it?

Well i'm in two minds, to fix it, the cheapest way would be a new engine, which could require belts, which will stick what it owes me up above a grand or so, unless I can find another super cheap one.

The other option is to break it. I really don't want to, as I do like the car, and loved it when I owned it, it just falls down to if I can get it running cheaply enough.

It would be handy to have some exclusive spares, plus im sure all the parts will sell easy enough - im not sure

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
when I fitted the new engine to mine I paid £300 for the car and £600 for a new engine with manifolds, gearbox and starter. coupled with shifting the good bits from the knackered engine (cams, dephaser, etc etc) the whole project came out owning me £550 with 12 months MOT and 6 months tax on it. So if your shrewd, you should be able to make some cash off the left over bits and bobs as I did, it can come to more than you think. plus I didn't sell the second box, that was an added bonus I kept and its on the mk1 turbo to this day (nearly 2 years back I did this)

53 Clio's & counting
The more I look at the pictures, the more I think the head gasket has gone - it looks to have some blow marks there, and I'm wondering if the poor map that was on it when I had it may have been the cause of the issues

I clicked this expecting it to be the thread from a few weeks ago. But no. You've got another one.

You're like a cat lady. You just get more and more.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
head gaskets clearly gone, can see where its popped and burnt through in the pics, no way that occurred when head was removed, that's gone pop! that's what the loud tapping was as well, text book blow by into the other cylinder, sounds like a rattle.

Phase 2 172 Sport
Ha ha ha wasn't expecting this when I opened up the thread !! Lol

1st dibs on the F!'s if you split it bud :D !!

53 Clio's & counting
Those back seats look virginal. They need christening....

D.

I think they have probably been sat in a handfull of times lol

I clicked this expecting it to be the thread from a few weeks ago. But no. You've got another one.

You're like a cat lady. You just get more and more.

I'm like the RSPCA but for Clio's, I see a poorly one and I can't help it :eek:

Get that engine with GT cams etc in the For Sale section? Believe it's £650 with belts done!

Id love that engine mate but between buying this, my roll cage and wheels for my other Exclusive, my monaco Ph2, and a few other odds and sods it's just out my price range :(

head gaskets clearly gone, can see where its popped and burnt through in the pics, no way that occurred when head was removed, that's gone pop! that's what the loud tapping was as well, text book blow by into the other cylinder, sounds like a rattle.

Yeah I literally opened the bonnet and took the picture, now Iv looked back at it, I can see it's gone. Odd though as F4R gaskets going are like one in a million, I knew it had a poor map on it when I had it, I think that was the killer.

Bloody hell, not another lmao

:eek:

Ha ha ha wasn't expecting this when I opened up the thread !! Lol

1st dibs on the F!'s if you split it bud :D !!

Iv had about a million offers on those F1's lol, they are near mint mind

What where they thinking when they made the interior?

Looks decent though!

Yeah it is a bit marmite, but it's probably the best condition one around! lol

Now all I need is for you to PM me with a great price on your engine ;)

172 cup
Thanks for acknowledging the smooth transaction, Echo that back to you. Easiest/smoothest transaction in history

As for head gasket going, didn't even notice that myself but I just took the head off and looked at valves to be honest. But dont forget the last owner that fitted the cams had the head off when he did that so could be why its gone. I.e the heads been off since it left the factory

An orange one
That interior looks factory fresh!! Genuine no sags in the leather or anything, I've seen audi's with 3k on the clock and the seats look more worn than that!

53 Clio's & counting
The interior is seriously the cleanest newest looking in any clio I have seen, the rear has barely been sat in, and the front seat only has a tiny tiny mark on it, door cards are clean, carpets like near new :)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Why not make an absolute minter by using all the best bits from both, then flogging off all the rest?

53 Clio's & counting
Why not make an absolute minter by using all the best bits from both, then flogging off all the rest?

My track car is too far gone for me to put back to standard mate, and the one above is ok, but one rear arch isn't rusty ,but the paint has a gone a bit funny, there is bad paint along the roof ( I think the bonnet may have hit it at some point) and a few normal marks here and there, so there is nothing really i could take off one to make the other better.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Got your pm.

On phone so will keep short.

Imho It's detted it's tits off (bad map most likely reason) that's done the pistons in and started the gasket on its way.
Gasket is a symptom not the cause.

But if the other pistons are mint its more likely an injector than the map.

53 Clio's & counting
il give them a clean off and have a good look mate, I used to det under load under 3k anyway, the map was not great

53 Clio's & counting
true mate, I have not checked properly, I'm off over my lockup on Friday afternoon, so will know then :)

May be just a brilliant bit of casting by Renault on that piston again lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its possible I guess, piston breaks away due to casting imperfection (which they certainly like a bit of) and then as a result extra oil enters the combustion chamber as the rings dont seal properly without the piston there, this lowers octane rating which then introduces det.

Quite hard to tell TBH unless you start doing things like flowtesting the injectors.

CLEARLY its had an issue with det, but as to what introduced it, thats harder to say.

53 Clio's & counting
I can only assume it may have been the map, only because of how much it det'd when I had it, but still it can't be re-used as it is so it will be coming out anyway lol

53 Clio's & counting
lol I have tended to loose track of how many iv had - I actally forgot I still have the ph2 172 until I popped down Dads the other night :S

53 Clio's & counting
No problem fella, if you need anything else, you know where I am <3

I got offered another one today, another ph2, trying.....to............not............to............buy..............