ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Safe Wheel Cleaners

Skoda Fabia vRS
just wondering what wheel cleaners everyone uses ?

ive just got a sample of the autobrite acid free cleaner and thats pretty good

how safe is megs apc as ive got loads of that

i have a bare metal edge lip on my newly refurbished white wheels so i want something good but totally safe to use regularly, as you can guess they need cleaning a lot

106 GTi
When I had a polished edge finish on my 309 GTi I tried only to use soap and water, and at worst AG Engine and Machine Cleaner, though these days I would go for the APC.

On well maintained wheels I can't see you needing anything other than car shampoo and water to be honest. I found myself polishing that outer lip every week with metal polish and it still pitted in places though.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
4:1 APC for me...The soloution is less harsh than the likes of Virosol or Bilberry...

But naturally if there in a state then you may not have a choice.

Mito Sportiva 135
On my own or protected wheels just a shampoo solution, although you can add a bit of Fairy sometimes which increases the cleaning power but removes the protection. A squirt of AG E&M Cleaner is good too.

On filthy wheels I use Megs Wheel Brightener, but then I protect them so can do the above afterwards. Using a wheel cleaner like this once in a blue moon is fine, just not every week like some people do! I remember when I was working at the dealers though, we used to leave it soaking on the wheels on service customer cars after coming back from the service test drive when the brakes were still boiling, and the fumes from the acid cleaners were intoxicating, and turned the wheels white. In the summer it used to dry on straight away...so another reason to make sure you never let anyone clean your car at a dealers!!!

Skoda Fabia vRS
4:1 APC for me...The soloution is less harsh than the likes of Virosol or Bilberry...

really ?.........why ?

im very interested in this, as if APC is safer than the acid free wheel cleaners thats what ill be using

im gonna try my best to stick to shampoo but at the moment ive not got my method perfected on these wheels so at the moment i dont have the correct tools to just use shampoo

106 GTi
Remember APC diluted weakly is meant interiors etc, all it is is akin to a strong shampoo.

Correct tools in what way ?, cut up some sponges to allow you to get inside them easily soap and water and jobs a good un !

Mito Sportiva 135
Brun, I normally use the clean bucket off shampoo and water left over from the car and topped up as required, and a MF wash mitt I don't use on the car itself. Job done!

Skoda Fabia vRS
thats what i was missing Rich, a sponge lol, ive not owned one since going to wash mitts about 5 years ago

picked up a grout sponge at B&Q earlier so im gonna cut that up for wheel cleaning duties

i bought a wheel schmitt but its proving to be a bit big for my little 15" wheels, ive got a long vikan brush which is absolutely fantastic at cleaning through the spokes to the inner wheel surface, its brilliant, and im gonna get a new Auto Glym wheel brush aswell, wrecked my current one last week

Mito Sportiva 135
My inner wheels are gross right now, need to take them off really but will have to wait to Easter now :(

106 GTi
I have a Mitt for the wheels, Some cut up sponges for the inners, and a couple of Halfords wheels brushes. Apart from the spoke backs nothing gives to much trouble.

Mito Sportiva 135
My inner wheels just haven't been cleaned properly for months and its baked on now...althoug if I leave them for much longer they will be black and I can just leave them for a nice contrast...:cool: