ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Safety in Motorsport

PB172
Okay guys,

So my FYP for my University course on Motorsport Technology is to do with the current safety precautions in Motorsport and how they can be better advertised to the market, spectators, teams and drivers.

What do you guys think about the current state of safety in motorsport in general hobbies situations and also at cup level.

What I mean is do you think there should be higher levels of safety being pushed towards all levels of motorsport or do you think that it is at a sturdy stage of safety.

I am mostly looking into advertising it in a new light making it more user friendly at understanding how a roll cage can really save your life if things take a turn for the worse in a race or track session and general maintenance such as tyre pressures and fluid levels being kept correct.

All of your views would be majorly appreciated and helpful!

Thanks for the read!

Personally I think the levels of safety in motorsport are adequate. In some cases they are too stringent for club level competitors, leading to un-necessary expense for people who compete on an infrequent basis. Seat and harness dating being a case in point.

PB172
Thats also a point I am going to bring up being the checks of equipment due to being 'out of date'...

Does that apply to track days or can you have any old bucket eat fixed in and run in on a RWYB kind of event?

I'm guessing you've never been to a RWYB event, lol. I've seen numerous cars that I'd question being MOT worthy let alone an increased safety or condition of the average road going car.

Black Clio GT
unless your competing the seats and harnesses dont have to be in date, can only guess the circuit must have different insurances for race and rwyb days....

imo saftey is fine as it is in terms of they guys out on track, its scruteneering for things like track days that worry me the most, i dont think they are thorough enough from some of the circuits ive been to in the past but guess thats more down to human complacency and time/staff to carry it out as many track day cars actually lap faster than some club sport cars do yet the clubsports must have specific roll cage design ect

PB172
Haha, no I've never been due to the fact I've never owned anything track worthy before the RS.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean mat-nos and that's probably going to be my anchor on the whole "Safety could be improved" side of the assignment and debate. The club scene mostly have rules to make it more 'fair' to every competitor therefor set regulations are laid out for everyone to abide by.

Have you ever read the blue book?

I'm pretty sure safety regulations in any organized motorsport is far and above adequate. Adherence to the rules is another matter.

PB172
Yeah I've got the Blue Book out to reference but I wanted peoples opinions on what you think actually goes on and if there's enough promotion to advertise safety devices such as cages etc.

chumpmobile
everything that is done is to protect the human life. imo there is no price that isn't worth paying to prevent death.