ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sat Nav Install

Volvo S60 D5

(Yes I know this probably ought to go in the Interior forum, but Ive tried there already and no worthwhile responses so far...)

I would like to add Sat Nav to my Clio. I dont want to go silly and spend £2k on an install, but have around £650 to spend on it. (Please no useless comments about spending a fiver on an AA map!)

So far I have two options, either a full dedicated install, such as the VDO Dayton system, which I could get for around 600 sheets second hand, or a PDA based system (PDA, TomTom 3 software and GPS reciever), either a wired or bluetooth version. This is where I get confused... there are so many PDAs around and so many combined packages Im at a bit of a loss! A full package starts at around £400 (inc Del + VAT) and rises to about £650 for a better specced PDA.

Someone here must have a PDA based Sat Nav system, or at least know something about them! Help!

Scruffy blue 182

I use an HP iPaq 5450 with the pukker HP navigation system. Works a treat although its an expensive option just to use as GPS.

Id suggest using something like a Dell Axim with TomTom GPS as the Dell handheld is cheap and reliable, bust doesnt have all of the addons that the HP has like Bluetooth etc. Have a look on eBay!

Volvo S60 D5

What sort of PDA is needed to run a GPS system like TomTom? Im gonna go for an iPaq, but not sure what sort of system I need - How much RAM, Processor Speed etc?

Scruffy blue 182

Most of the iPaq range have 400Mhz processors, but as the saying goes...the faster the better. As for RAM - the more the better. This type of software is heavy on memory and CPU on pocket PCs

Bear in mind that the 172/182 have heat reflecting windscreens - unless you want to hang out of the window to get a signal, youll need and external antenna - just pop it on the back shelf.

one of the guys I work with has tomtom on an Ipaq, we used it in my 172 the other week, put the gps in the tray above the clock and it worked fine.

have a look http://www.eurocommobiles.co.uk/here for package deals

i have the HP ipaq 4150 pda which is a high spec model with the tom tom 2 navigator software and a 512mb SD memcard

this cost me just under £600 but u can get a HP 2210 in a package deal for around £300 then all u have to do is buy a S/D memory cardwhich vary from £50 up to £140 for the 512 mb

it is a good set up and can be moved between cars if u need abd u can also use the bipaq for other things rather than just sat nav

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by PeteB on 12 April 2004
Most of the iPaq range have 400Mhz processors, but as the saying goes...the faster the better. As for RAM - the more the better. This type of software is heavy on memory and CPU on pocket PCsBear in mind that the 172/182 have heat reflecting windscreens - unless you want to hang out of the window to get a signal, youll need and external antenna - just pop it on the back shelf.

I used a gps up the front and it works fine, dont matter if you put it next to the front window.. GPS works just fine.

Hello,

I use a Garmin Ique 3600. I found this to be the best to use when I first looked into this.

However I had to purchase a re radiating aerial for both my Road Angel and Ique as the Clio has a Heat reflective screen.