ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scirocco Bluemotion

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Just something popped up on Evo, didn't actually know it existed. Of course I would spend this money on a car but I love the idea of that looks with such a frugal well made car. Really appeals to me. Show over go for me.

Specced to 26k with the Kit etc...

DC6DD330-F400-615E-2420AF715B3E9664.jpg

DC291F0C-A086-C853-0FFB135A9F0AB77A.jpg

Would you buy a diesel performance car? It’s a genre that’s growing by the month, with turbodiesels even powering cars with BMW M and Audi S badges nowadays.

Being honest, I’ve never championed diesel cars. Unless you cover monster miles every year, many are a false economy. And I’ve driven none that are as fun, involving or emotional as their petrol-powered equivalents.

There’s one diesel car that has impressed me in recent years, though: the Volkswagen Scirocco BlueMotion. The VW group makes some of the best small diesel engines out there, and the Scirocco’s sharp looks and polished dynamics are a great home for one capable of a real-world 50mpg.

Still, taking a car home for the night and covering less than 100 miles might be enough to conjure up some Twitter-length opinions or over-exposed Instagram snaps (if you follow me on either medium, you’ll know I over-use both) but it’s not enough to really suss something out. And so I twisted VW’s arm into giving me a diesel ‘Rocco for the Christmas break…

My 138bhp BlueMotion R-line may have been specced to bursting point (check out its Scirocco R-inspired bodykit and sizeable 19in alloys) but it was a relevant car to borrow: in 2012 VW sold nearly 5200 Sciroccos in the UK, and out of the 11 possible engine and gearbox combinations, a staggering 46 per cent of them were six-speed manual BlueMotions like this (with diesels accounting for nearly three quarters of sales overall). The next most popular model, the entry-level 120bhp petrol TSI, accounted for a much titchier 12 per cent slice.

This Scirocco isn’t a full-strength BlueMotion model, so forgoes low-rolling-resistance tyres and any aero tweaks, but its 2-litre TDI engine is helped to a claimed 62.8mpg by stop/start and energy recuperation under braking. I didn’t get close to that figure, but an indicated 49.9mpg still hugely impressed: my 1019 miles were a mix of urban driving, ‘typical’ motorway cruising speeds and the odd cross-country blat, while at least half of them were with several passengers or a boot filled with festive paraphernalia.

But is it a performance car? Well, it surrenders to understeer far earlier than if a lighter 2-litre TSI petrol sat up front and the exceedingly narrow band of maximum torque (236lb ft @ 1750-2500rpm) will curb your enthusiasm somewhat. Like all Sciroccos, though, it possesses slick, precise controls and is a satisfying car to hustle along an interesting road. Put some thought into your gears (the involving upside of spurning DSG) and it’s easy enough to stay near its peak power and make respectably quick progress.

This well-trimmed R-line model costs £26,485. An equivalent 2-litre TSI petrol is nearly a grand pricier and, over 12,000 miles, will use nearly £600 more in fuel. And away from undulating B-roads, the diesel will barely be any less fun to drive.

But… as accomplished, frugal and all-round talented my Christmas chariot was, I fear I’m too much of a car enthusiast to be able to own one as my only car. I’d need something sportier and – crucially – petrol-powered to satisfy my need for a truly thrilling drive or trackday every now and then.

Scour the price lists and a similarly stylish Renaultsport Megane starts at £24k and is 123bhp more powerful, not to mention more dynamically able. The saving made against the Scirocco’s steeper RRP would pay for a couple of years of extra fuel and higher tax bills. Hugely likeable the Scirocco may have been, but unless my annual mileage was sky-high, I couldn’t ignore that comparison.

It poses some interesting questions, though. Would you drive a diesel performance car? And perhaps more debatably, can you call something TDI-powered a performance car?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
My dad has the 170 TDI. Not a bluemotion, just a GT. Can see 50mpg, and is lovely to drive. I can see why people who need a diesel go for them. Great looking cars.

Red
I love them only thing I don't like is trying to see out the rear window. With people in the back I reckon it had the same visibility as a countach.

Renault Clio RS182
My dad had one as a company car for a while. The Bluemotion is the 140 tdi right? Coming from a french car, i couldn't believe how much quality it oozed and how well it was put together. On the few occassions that i drove it, i found it hidiously boring and uninspiring though. As a car it really doesn't make any sense what so ever. I mean it does look good, but a 3dr Golf of equivalent spec would be more practical in terms of space in the rear and boot, and £2-3k cheaper to buy in the first place, which is why you'd be buying a bluemotion version in the first place isn't it? Economy/practicality/sensible :)

Red
Not really designed for go though are they? Every dirty bint I want to dip my Wick into loves them.

Not every car was designed to make your drive to tesco feel like the winning lap of an F1 championship.

Titanium 182
Looks nice but if you're worried about how much fuel you use you don't spend 26k on a car. Generally!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've always thought the industry missed the spot buy not creating a good looking, well handling, economic car. i can cope with something that is slow, providing you can enjoy driving it. so far I've never found it.

People claim that the VAG have done it but I don't agree, all the GT / FR etc models that they have released over the years have always lacked that involvement. I do appreciate however is that they keep trying more than most.

Anyone hear much now about the Megane RS diesel, or the GT 175? I agree with quite alot of what he evo quote was getting at there. I thought I could cope selling the 182 and running a Golf TDI, I couldn't and have now bought a motorbike

I think the UK are self manifesting the death of petrol. Diesel is a false economy to all but a very small minority of them, but with the squeeze being felt at the wallets speccing a diesel to £26000 to save 30 quid a month on fuel seems like the right thing to do.

As a result of this mentality being passed on, the D's hold their value better on the 3-5 year used car market making them better residually for the 1st owner.

It's a vicious circle.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The MK6 GT Tdi is a cracking car and remap city but a good embodiment of it is the Mk2 TT Tdi. Not sure if you can get a Tdi S-Line though. Now that would win.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A powerband of 750 rpm! Wow, that must be great fun to drive...

s**t car for s**t people only out to impress their neighbours. c***s.

If you want a cheap diesel, but a cheap diesel car. Don't make out you're ''on the edge'' with your sporty looking number. Really makes my s**t itch. Fcuk off.

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
A powerband of 750 rpm! Wow, that must be great fun to drive...

s**t car for s**t people only out to impress their neighbours. c**ts.

If you want a cheap diesel, but a cheap diesel car. Don't make out you're ''on the edge'' with your sporty looking number. Really makes my s**t itch. Fcuk off.

I agree, but with less swearing LOL.

106 Diesel.....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Swearing enables me to get my point across of just how much I detest people that buy 'sporty' diesels. There is no point to them. Or the cars! lol.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe they want a diesel that quite stylish or good looking?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Maybe they want a diesel that quite stylish or good looking?

So buy a golf.

The only reason you'd buy a scirocco is to make people think you're fun/funky/sporty/don't give a fcuk. If you bought a 2.0T FSI i'd agree because they are that sort of car, and I like them a lot! (In 2.0T guise!)

But buying an aggressive looking coupe in bluemotion format is a fcuking c***s trick and proves you care none for driving and just want people to think you're cool.

Honestly, all of these people can fcuk off.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
So buy a golf.

The only reason you'd buy a scirocco is to make people think you're fun/funky/sporty/don't give a fcuk. If you bought a 2.0T FSI i'd agree because they are that sort of car, and I like them a lot! (In 2.0T guise!)

But buying an aggressive looking coupe in bluemotion format is a fcuking c**ts trick and proves you care none for driving and just want people to think you're cool.

Couldn't agree more!

I always laugh when I see people in Audi TT diesels!

Nissan 350z
So buy a golf.

But buying an aggressive looking coupe in bluemotion format is a fcuking c**ts trick and proves you care none for driving and just want people to think you're cool.

Couldn't agree more. You really hit the nail on the head there.