ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scottish Run - including a fair bit of blatant Clio pic wh0rage...;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
As a follow on from my thread from months ago.....

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?546727-Road-trip-help-amp-suggestions-please-from-the-Scottish-Lot!&highlight=scottish

My m8 and I (StevieGreenstuff off here) finally made the epic trip northwards last Thursday morning. Up early and packed from the night before, I gave the 'ol girl a quick wash at about 6.30am - lol....

Washingmomo.jpg

We then did the compulsory pre-trip 'must do's' - a Macca's breakfast, together with filling both cars to the brim at Tescos...

DSCN4507.jpg

Go-go gadget Clio! ;)

GadgetClio.jpg

First real hike in the car - driving north up through the Lake District on the M6....

NorthboundthroughtheLakes.jpg

Arriving at Loch Lomond after we managed to blitz past Glasgow.

DSCN4511.jpg

Increasingly finding the roads more deserted, which suited us both fine - gave us the chance to stretch the legs of the little Frenchies a bit! :)

Glencoe4.jpg

That said, sometimes the traffic did get a bit of a squeeze!

Trafficjam.jpg

Not long after - we entered the region around Glencoe, which I found truly awesome....

Glencoe6.jpg

Glencoe1.jpg

Glencoe2.jpg

Glencoe5.jpg

GlencoeSte.jpg

DSCN4537.jpg

DSCN4524.jpg

DSCN4523.jpg

Out the other side of Glencoe, came the first petrol stop. Filled to the brim again, it was pretty damn impressive how close our cars/driving styles were matched. :)

My fill-up...

PetrolMe.jpg

....and Ste's fill-up...

PetrolSte.jpg

After the first night's stay just south of Fort William (including a rather mild chicken vindaloo from a local curry house - bah!) - we continued north. The famous Commando Monument was in spitting distance of Fort William and on our route anyway, so a few pics were taken....

CommandoMemorial1.jpg

CommandoMemorial2.jpg

CommandoMemorial3.jpg

DSCN4565.jpg

Ben Nevis was under cloud cover in the distance....

CommandoMemorial4.jpg

Next on the map was a quick stop at the Glen Shiel site - location of a battle dating from 1719...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Shiel

GlenShiel4.jpg

Loved the addition to the road sign! :cool:

DSCN4570.jpg

GlenShiel2.jpg

GlenShiel3.jpg

About three of four trainer planes kept buzzing through the valleys too. Picture Fail at not having a decent zoom - lol...

GlenShiel5.jpg

Next stop was Eilean Donan Castle...

EileanDonan1.jpg

EileanDonan2.jpg

....then after that was a THE epicness that was the 'Pass of the Cattle' blat over towards Applecross....

Applecross3-1.jpg

Applecross6.jpg

Applecross7.jpg

Applecross11.jpg

Applecross9.jpg

Applecross2-1.jpg

Applecross1-1.jpg

The run over got my brakes a 'stinkin, but despite that, the 182 handled brilliantly. And there was so little traffic too!

After there, we made the run to Ullapool and stayed overnight there - witnessing quite expensive beer prices and quite ludicrous fish & chips too - £8.30 for one large portion. :eek:

Ullapool1.jpg

Ullapool2.jpg

The following morning - the journey continued north. About half a mile from the B&B we stayed at, I noticed a 172 Cup coming the other way and we let on to each other. :approve:

The traffic by now was getting really scarce indeed - making pulling over to take pics of the scenery ever more easier...

NorthofUllapool.jpg

The downside of which, presumably made the logistics of transporting petrol to the pumps, all that more difficult. The prices in some rural areas was jaw-droppingly bad... :(

Petrolprices.jpg

We made a detour off the A838 and headed towards the dead-end of Sheigra - basically to see what was there...

Sheigrabeach2.jpg

Sheigrabeach1.jpg

Sheigrabeach4.jpg

The hamlet of Sheigra itself... our cars just about visible in the fore-ground.

Sheigrabeach5.jpg

Eventually, The Parph peninsula was in reach - along with Cape Wrath, which was initially our main goal to get to. Unfortunately, neither the ferry nor the minibus (a loosely applied term to what is actually a Land Rover) start running until May. We could have hiked it there by foot, but at nearly 12 miles each way and the fact that it was bloody freezing, kind of put paid to that.

NearCapeWrath.jpg

The nearby deserted Balnakiel Bay and its beaches more than made up for it though. I couldn't believe that this was on the northern edge of Scotland?!

BalnakeilBeach3.jpg

BalnakeilBeach4.jpg

BalnakeilBeach5.jpg

From there, we headed east, via Tongue and then southwards towards Lairg. The scenery through this section of Scotland was truly inspiring - almost like something from a backdrop off Lord of the Rings. Again, literally zero traffic, this picture summed-up the sweeping roads that made this trip such a joy to drive...

TonguetoLairg.jpg

Stopping at another chippy in Lairg (my cholesterol must be through the roof at the minute!) - we debated about finding a B&B there. However, Ste suggested that we push on to Dornoch and we found a great B&B called the Bank House....

BankHouseBBDornoch.jpg

The following morning, Paul (the owner) gave us a guided tour of the house, but not before we had a full breakfast while watching the final stages of the F1 race from Shanghai. Pretty good start to a Sunday, by all accounts. :)

Leaving Dornoch, we headed southwards and came across the Glenmorangie distillery which was unfortunately closed at the time.

GlenmorangieDistillery.jpg

...so we continued on and naturally had to do the whistle-stop visit to Loch Ness via Urquhart Castle.

UrquhartCastle1.jpg

UrquhartCastle3.jpg

Job descriptions sounded so much more appealing in the old days. Where are such career prospects now? ;)

UrquhartCastle2.jpg

Even LY would have found her perfect occupation in winding the clock back several centuries....:clown:

LYjob.jpg

And proof (as if needed) that the French are bloody awkward, could be seen on the following sign - provided in English, Italian, German and Spanish. Can you guess the French part? ;)

UrquhartCastle4.jpg

The typical touristy places were visited too, along with the purchase of some much needed souvenirs - mainly in the form of whisky by me.

LochNess1.jpg

The cars both received a much needed jet-wash while we were here too. The amount of insect-kill on the front really was beginning to build up.

We then looped back north slightly via Inverness to pickup the A9. As the CS people had advised us on the other thread, the A9 for the most part is quite boring and dull after the decent roads of further north. In saying that though, views like those arriving towards Aviemore reminded me a LOT of Canada....

Aviemore2.jpg

Finally we made our last stop in Blair Atholl, having stopped briefly in Pitlochry first. We stayed in the Atholl Arms Hotel on Sunday night, before heading off through Crieff and Dunblane on Monday morning. After that, we continued southwards, past Glasgow, Carlisle, through Dumfries & Galloway and onto the Lake District again. A quick detour took us through the Kirkstone Pass again - but given what we'd seen over the past few days, it was a bit of an anti-climax tbh...

KirkstonePass.jpg

The five days on the road simply flew by. Over 1,200 miles of the clock - slightly too much spent on petrol, but it was definitely worth it. Having never been deeper into Scotland than Dunfermline before, this trip opened my eyes to an area of the UK that's merely several hours and a tank of juice away.

I'd long held Canada in the highest regard. That to me was the benchmark that defined openess, scenery and a chance to chill out away from the daily grind. Scotland to me initially felt like a 'baby Canada' - but in the end, it actually surpassed it in many ways - especially from a driving perspective. Some of the roads in Canada are world class in terms of driver involvement - but they are mainly spread out over truly vast distances. A great section of sweeping bends might then be interjected with 10-15 miles of arrow straight highway.

Scotland was much more close-knit and rewarding to drive. Sure, parts of the A9 were a bit mundane, but they were means to an end in my mind. The combination of clear roads and MUCH better tarmac than what we have generally in Lancashire made exploiting the 182 so much fun and a great time all round.

I'll definitely be heading back soon. I've merely glimpsed at what's on offer up there. And I need to get back... :cool:

D.

Last edited:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Ashame you never gave some of us a bit of notice and we could have hooked up for a shoot/run out... :(

Either way, awesome trip sir, glad people are sampling our roads....! :D

Epic roads. Part of my plan for the summer is to do a similar roadtrip.

Any chance you can make up a google map of the route you have taken?

astra gsi/cliosport 172
what a good run and write up !

shame the scotland cs mob didnt know you where heading up as danny_172 said we could have got a run and photo shoot give a heads up the nxt time tho !

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Epic scenery Darren and a top road trip mate.

Always wanted to do Scotland but never had the chance.

Great read. I went to Fort Bill/Mallaig couple years back and was a brilliant drive there and back. Although on the way home at 2am my friend decided to tell me there was a massacre in glencoe once upon a time, and I was pretty scared by that. Next thing we knew we were inches of hitting a dear crossing the road. Truly worring being out there in the middle of no where!

Great journey though!

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
I like this a lot, makes me realise whats on my doorstep! You drove past my work when you were on the loch lomond road, there are some cracking little roads around there!

M16a
I like this a lot, makes me realise whats on my doorstep! You drove past my work when you were on the loch lomond road, there are some cracking little roads around there!

And mine, (Helensburgh)
I stop at Duck Bay to eat my lunch almost every day,.

Cracking write up. We've the best scenery in our "Big Little Country"

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Lol yeah i know what your saying mate, but i am looking at another sporty clio at the weekend mate ;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Superb Darren! Great write up and definitely something to remember.

Picked some good roads, Applecross looked a linttle single lane dangerous to me!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Awesome pics mate! Glad you's had a good time! The roads and views in Scotland are hard to beat....Anywhere!!!

Flame Red Delight
Great pics, great run, Scotland will not dissapoint when it comes to scenery that's for sure :)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Awesome pics. Me the wife did something very similar to this last month. Applecross is truely awesome.

200 FF Storm Grey
Love it mate, really fancy doing a scotland road trip (over a few days) next year.

Great read, and interesting to what you say about canada, not been far into scotland but i love the scenery of canada so to think you can drive a few hours up the motorway and you're basically in another world is pretty amazing.

If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much money did you get through?

ph1 172... Sold:(
Hi Guys,

Not been on here in a while. TBH the flamer has been a bit of a pain in the @r5e in the past and over the past 18 months or so has not seen much 'proper' action. That said...

This trip was ace. And so was the car; I said to Daz, more than once I think, that she just kept getting better and better as the miles went on. My only problem was the brakes lacked a little initial 'bite', I think fresh fronts and fluid will be in order. On the flipside, I'd just had a set of V12 front tyres fitted about 1000 miles ago, and while a bit sqidgey, they were bang on.

A few of you have said we should have had a bit of a meet-up on the way. Whilst that would have been great, Daz and I had a bit of a 'Thelma & Louise' thang going on, 2 old buddies against the world. Although neither of us got rattled by Brad Pitt. Thankfully. Or, just as thankfully, went off the side of a cliff. Speaking of which;

These were some of the safest 'fast' roads I've driven. Even the singletracks. Most are well sighted, and the surfaces were generally good. You wouldn't want to go full rally attack speed all the time, and it could be vastly different if the weather was bad, but there were plenty of chances to string together 2nd gear bends using all of 3rd;). Lots of tripodding potential;). Also, generally speaking, the other drivers we encountered were brilliant, some making shockingly good progress in mini-mpv's and the like, whilst being much more midful and courteous to faster traffic. Heck, there are even roadsigns encouraging safe overtaking practices.

So thanks to Daz for having me along, although his mum did tell me she was glad I was going cuz' she'd have been worried if he'd have been on his own;):eek:.

Oh and if you're ever in Dornoch I thouroughly reccommend The Bank House B&B/Guest House.

Steve.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great stuff guys, I'd love to do a trip up there at some point. The roads look fantastic!

Black Sheep
Great stuff. I found an epic road a few years back done it last summer to. It goes from aviemore to ballater via the lecht ski centre. It's great pure mountain roads through the cairngorms popping ears from the assents and decents with woodland streches thrown in to at some points you really are in the middle of no where so fill up:approve:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Great thread mate, I should have more photos like that but always, always get caught up in the driving and dont stop! Love it up there, only a couple of hours for me really to get to some of it. Did you eat in the Applecross Inn? It wasnt my brakes that reeked going there but I could smell the oil was hot!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Lol yeah i know what your saying mate, but i am looking at another sporty clio at the weekend mate ;)

Another one?! You must have had to bribe Carmen with some serious offers of shopping to get another car! :) Which one are you looking at getting?

Awesome pics. Me the wife did something very similar to this last month. Applecross is truely awesome.

Yes m8 - your pic of the AG200 was the basis of me trying similar pics. Looked great in yours!

Love it mate, really fancy doing a scotland road trip (over a few days) next year.

Great read, and interesting to what you say about canada, not been far into scotland but i love the scenery of canada so to think you can drive a few hours up the motorway and you're basically in another world is pretty amazing.

If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much money did you get through?

Roughly £400 in five days - the biggest chunk of that being petrol in all fairness. The B&B's were typically £40 or so ahead, though the first we got for £45 for a twin room. However, I'd say that the prices were kind of cheap due to it being pre-season. And there were a lot of vacancies at around this time so we had a fair few to choose from for the most part.

Hi Guys,

Not been on here in a while. TBH the flamer has been a bit of a pain in the @r5e in the past and over the past 18 months or so has not seen much 'proper' action. That said...

This trip was ace. And so was the car; I said to Daz, more than once I think, that she just kept getting better and better as the miles went on. My only problem was the brakes lacked a little initial 'bite', I think fresh fronts and fluid will be in order. On the flipside, I'd just had a set of V12 front tyres fitted about 1000 miles ago, and while a bit sqidgey, they were bang on.

A few of you have said we should have had a bit of a meet-up on the way. Whilst that would have been great, Daz and I had a bit of a 'Thelma & Louise' thang going on, 2 old buddies against the world. Although neither of us got rattled by Brad Pitt. Thankfully. Or, just as thankfully, went off the side of a cliff. Speaking of which;

These were some of the safest 'fast' roads I've driven. Even the singletracks. Most are well sighted, and the surfaces were generally good. You wouldn't want to go full rally attack speed all the time, and it could be vastly different if the weather was bad, but there were plenty of chances to string together 2nd gear bends using all of 3rd;). Lots of tripodding potential;). Also, generally speaking, the other drivers we encountered were brilliant, some making shockingly good progress in mini-mpv's and the like, whilst being much more midful and courteous to faster traffic. Heck, there are even roadsigns encouraging safe overtaking practices.

So thanks to Daz for having me along, although his mum did tell me she was glad I was going cuz' she'd have been worried if he'd have been on his own;):eek:.

Oh and if you're ever in Dornoch I thouroughly reccommend The Bank House B&B/Guest House.

Steve.

What really does concern me about that comment is the fact that it probably carries a lot of truth with it!!! ;)

No worries - I'll try and get one done over the weekend for you. :)

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Sorry for the delay m8 - got here eventually!

A general overview first.....

Mapoverview1.jpg

....and a bit more close up of the Scotland part itself.

Mapoverview2.jpg

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent thread!

I must get myself up into Scotland (never crossed the border) and get onto those roads; they look amazing!

You really should m8 - the roads are brilliant!

That said, your front splitter would be DEEE-STROOOYYYY-EEEDDD within a matter of miles, if you took the 911 Tubby. I didn't bottom-out the 182 at all on the trip, but I must have been bloody close on a few occasions!

D.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Epic! I missed the original post :(

Looking at them pics, your car looks spot on! Actually makes me miss my BG. Think it looks ace with the black wheels :)...... better than 2118's and Turinis imo ;)

pimp mobile Zafira
Just read this after being directed from another thread. Epic trip and Definatly worth looking into. Free 1 year bump!