ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

screw stuck that holds the disc on

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
ello peeps,

tried to change my front disc's this afternoon. couldn't get one of the screws off that holds the disc on the front passenger side. ended up threading it, tried to drill it out, no luck yet, are them screws re-inforced :(

Anyone got any other tips.

Else i will be down to quickfit to see if they can rip it off. how much will it cost, is it worth me getting them to fit the new discs and pads at the same time.

Damn Renault newbury did it, they changed the bearing in that wheel last year, and must have tightenned the damn screw thing up too much.
:S mutha truckers :quiet:

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
humm, well i didn't tightening it that tight !! i tried drilling it, for ages, drill bit just ended up smoking and getting very hot. so dont' want it snapping n ripping my eyes out, lol
so rather go to a garage to do it for me, :( would rather sort it myself though :)

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
what is it ? looks liek some sort of slide hammer, i had my drill on hammer setting as well, but was still not doing much.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
An impact driver is a hand tool that delivers a strong, sudden torque after being struck by a hammer. In conjunction with toughened socket sets, they are often used by mechanics to loosen larger bolts and nuts that are frozen or over-torqued in place.

An impact driver with screwdriver bits and adapters

Impact drivers consist of a heavy outer sleeve that surrounds an inner core that is splined to it. When the user strikes the outer sleeve, its downward force works on the spline to turn the core about 90 degrees and any socket or work bit attached to it. The tool translates the heavy rotational inertia of the sleeve to the lighter core to generate large amounts of torque.

If the tool is powered by a motor instead of by manual striking, it is called an impact wrench instead, and greatly increases the versatility of this type of tool.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver"

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Its a spring loaded cam inside a tube (the handle) which when struck with a club hammer transfers the impact into the screwdriver style blades held at the tip.

It will get you out of all sorts of trouble,

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
will try punchign it arond tomorrow, thing i drilled it too much for the center punch to work :( but give it a go thanks guys

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Seriously.. go with the impact driver.. I changed my disks a few years back on an old 205 GTI and this thing was welded on.. couple whacks with the impact driver and it was off no probs !

Mondeo TDCI 130
surely if he has been trying to drill it out there is going to be nothing to use the impact driver on?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
^^^^ this is true. but worth using if the other side get stuck. the one i managed to unscrew almost threaded. it didn't have any copper grease on it, so no wonder they are stuck. Still think Renault Newbury did it on purpose. Thanks for all your input

Lionel Richie
get a new titanium drill bit (one of the gold ones)

you'll get it off then!!

the screws aren't really needed as the wheel bolts hold the disc onto the hub

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
are them titanium one really that good. my normal ones are quite old, and it was just smoking, and drilling off small flakes. mmm, are titanium ones from the market ok ? or should i pay proper price from halfrauds ? also whats the best setting in the drill - normal drilling / hammer drill ?

RenaultSport clio 182 CUP
normal drilling dont use the hammer action for drilling metal it ll f**k your drill bit.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
Them titanium drills worked a treat ate through the metal like it was cheese, well impressed with them, going to buy another set for spares. So brakes are changed, i had 1 bit of an issue, done about 10 miles and noticed the driver side disc have developed a score already, could this be a stone on the pad ? is it worth me taking the caliper off again and checking the pad ?

T

thecremeegg

On mine got a flat screwdriver and hammered around the edge.....just fell out then

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
cleanned the pads, scratch seems to have gone now, think it was just a new wearing in scratch. rears to fit this weekend