ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scuffing tapping noise

182 cup
Hi - please help if you can this is doing my head in!

I have a tapping scuffing noise coming from the engine after the engine's warmed up fully. Pretty constant with slightly irregular timing. Unlike previous thread doesn't seem to follow revs.

Belts and water pump changed one month ago. Taken back to garage where the work was done and told steering pump is making noise as fluid is black and may be damaged - however I'm sceptical that this is the problem. Had a mechanic friend look at it who wasn't convinced. The fluid doesn't look as bad as the garage made out and the noise doesn't seem to follow operating the steering. Any thoughts? Cheers.

182 cup
Yeah I know - this subjects been done a lot already, I just read most of it!

Seems like best shout is the charcoal canister or possibly lifters for mine. Some people seem to be saying charcoal canister sounds louder in the car than outside which isn't the case for me though but that wouldn't rule it out would it?

182 cup
Nudge nudge ahem...

If it's the solenoid that makes the noise on the charcoal canister, can this be replaced itself or adjusted? Don't think i want to remove the canister.

53 Clio's & counting
Get a vid mate so we can here it, its so hard trying to diagnose anthing over the internet

Clio 182
my engine management lights on because of this canister valve (carbon canister, charcoal canister - all the same thing?) is your light on?

182 cup
Yep - the engine management light comes on sometimes when i give it the beans. Not managed to get the warning code read as yet. I'm 90% sure it's the charcoal cannister, tomorrow i plan to open up the wheel arch to check that's where the noise is coming from.

BG 182 FF
Just removed the carbon canister ( charcoal filter) from my 182 as I was experiencing this ticking noise, I originally thought it was the dephaser pulley but after replacing that (It needed replacing anyway) I discovered it was the carbon canister.

The rattle was not from the canister itself it was the connection that the cable plugs into... The problem I'm having now is engine management light (emissions???) is on. Anyone got round this?

Cheers