ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Search for a 182

Peug 205 clio 182
Hi chaps. I've been looking for a 182 for a few weeks now. I'm going to look at a low mileage example tomorrow. This particular one has some lights on the dashboard. But the owner assures me the car drives spot on and that the lights have only appeared after its been stood a while. Now normally this would be alarm bells to me and I would run a mile, but I know from previous French cars that electrics are not there strong point. What do you guys think? Anyone have any tips for me to look for or be aware of? The car is in immaculate condition from the photo's.
Cheers Giner.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
If you're looking for a car to use don't be restricting yourself to low mileage examples. Always buy on condition. Two cars the same age but on 50 or 100k miles I'd wager the 100k one has more fresh parts in the suspension and drive train and the 50k one will probably need those parts refreshing!
As for the one you're viewing whuch lights are on the dash? Eml? Abs? Srs? Not all are as easily extinguished come mot time.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep. Brain says that mileage in priority No.1 - but in reality condition is far more important.

Mileage for me would be a factor if I was looking at a car just one or two years old. However, even the youngest 182s are 17-years-old this year, so overall condition is much more crucial than the distance clocked up.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Thing about mileage (which I do get regards mechanics) is that it’s well related to corrosion.

Being an MOT tester I can tell you a low mileage 20 year old car can look really good underneath. An average mileage example of the same car will look a mess of rust.

I’d love a mint low mile RB 182, I’d take one with a blown engine/gearbox rather than a squashed sill’d rusty shell with a ‘good’ engine.

Peug 205 clio 182
Saw the car today it was a great example. A few tiny blemishes but nothing really. Dashboard lights was service light which is nothing. I made a fair offer but owner wouldn't budge. So I walked away and told him to let me know if he changed his mind. The search continues.

Peug 205 clio 182
Very nice. Shows you have far prices have gone up when people are getting £6,000 for Silver ones.
I had a budget OF £5K. Had to raise it to get the car. Coloured one's are rare and more expensive. I would never let a cars colour be the deciding factor on buying unless it was sumat gay like bright pink

Peug 205 clio 182
IMG_20210902_174614.jpg
had to sell my pride and joy to fund the 182. Check out this absolute mental machine. I will miss it but it was only ever going to kill me. Honda Cr500 for those who aren't familiar with 2 wheels.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
This is one of those lads that sells loads of clios on Evay and Facebook…basically a part time trader. Always seems to remove the centre caps. That’s very strong money for a car without cup packs in silver. But then I love silver, so congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the club

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I had a budget OF £5K. Had to raise it to get the car. Coloured one's are rare and more expensive. I would never let a cars colour be the deciding factor on buying unless it was sumat gay like bright pink
I like silver, very underrated in my opinion and for that reason they’re generally undervalued. But as I said it shows how that’s changing.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
This is one of those lads that sells loads of clios on Evay and Facebook…basically a part time trader. Always seems to remove the centre caps. That’s very strong money for a car without cup packs in silver. But then I love silver, so congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the club
Powder coats the wheels in Birmingham I suspect. The plastic centre caps can't be done, so doesn't bother with them.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, it’s his signature move.

Every 172/182 you see on the FB sales groups without caps, you know the score. He gets stick for it on FB and think it just motivates him now to keep doing it lol

He used to throw them away (or so he said) so at least the buyer got them.

Shame as a nice car like that deserves a set re-done in cup anthracite (with its caps) to compliment the silver.

Peug 205 clio 182
Yep, it’s his signature move.

Every 172/182 you see on the FB sales groups without caps, you know the score. He gets stick for it on FB and think it just motivates him now to keep doing it lol

He used to throw them away (or so he said) so at least the buyer got them.

Shame as a nice car like that deserves a set re-done in cup anthracite (with its caps) to compliment the silver.
Good idea I may look into the anthracite wheel colour. 👍

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
The silver cars look a lot better with anthracite wheels. Unmatched silver car and wheels is just as bad as matched silver car and wheels😂.

Car looks nice.

SERV light could be nothing but it could also be something....Not sure I'd buy a Clio for 6k with lights on the dash. Hopefully will be an inexpesive fix but you really need someone with CLIP to properly diagnose. Dont waste your time with a generic code reader or you will be chasing shadows.

Peug 205 clio 182
Car looks nice.

SERV light could be nothing but it could also be something....Not sure I'd buy a Clio for 6k with lights on the dash. Hopefully will be an inexpesive fix but you really need someone with CLIP to properly diagnose. Dont waste your time with a generic code reader or you will be chasing shadows.
I work just round corner from ddc so I will pop in after work today and see if they can have a look at it. I picked the car up yesterday. Not happy at all. The idle is all over place. Petrol and temp gauge not working. I think just about every single light on the dash came on. On the drive home. Temp went to the max although the car wasn't overheating. Definitely some electrical gremlins to find. I'm absolutely gutted, although the car drives spot on I can't help but feel I've been turned over. I will let you know what happens when I've had it looked at.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I work just round corner from ddc so I will pop in after work today and see if they can have a look at it. I picked the car up yesterday. Not happy at all. The idle is all over place. Petrol and temp gauge not working. I think just about every single light on the dash came on. On the drive home. Temp went to the max although the car wasn't overheating. Definitely some electrical gremlins to find. I'm absolutely gutted, although the car drives spot on I can't help but feel I've been turned over. I will let you know what happens when I've had it looked at.
Sorry to hear that. Is this guy a trader then?
If he is he's still liable as the law says a car sold must be ‘as described’. If he's a private seller then Caveat Emptor applies, but as a trader if he misleads a buyer or mis-sells a car, he could end up in court.

Peug 205 clio 182
Sorry to hear that. Is this guy a trader then?
If he is he's still liable as the law says a car sold must be ‘as described’. If he's a private seller then Caveat Emptor applies, but as a trader if he misleads a buyer or mis-sells a car, he could end up in court.
I didn't know he was a trader he certainly didn't mention it. Some guys on here said he was.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't know he was a trader he certainly didn't mention it. Some guys on here said he was.
Yeah it was mentioned above that he was. I'd find out if i was you. Make him repair it if he is or get your money back. Proper cars are hard to come by and generally stay with their owners for long periods of time. They do pop up from time to time and not all good ones cost the earth either.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Jon,
I’m guessing it’s a FB trader, who isn’t paying any tax on the profit as such is hiding behind being a private sale…. I mean it’s bull s**t that this poor chap has spent this much money on a car with issues. However maybe the chap will put them right? I’ll bet it’s only a white plug of doom issue anyway. Cars been for sale for months, so probably been jet washed under the bonnet and left.

hope you get it sorted at minimal cost OP

Peug 205 clio 182
Jon,
I’m guessing it’s a FB trader, who isn’t paying any tax on the profit as such is hiding behind being a private sale…. I mean it’s bull s**t that this poor chap has spent this much money on a car with issues. However maybe the chap will put them right? I’ll bet it’s only a white plug of doom issue anyway. Cars been for sale for months, so probably been jet washed under the bonnet and left.

hope you get it sorted at minimal cost OP
Cheers mate. I have spoken to him and he insists that the car is good and that the issue is maybe a bad earth or something simple. I haven't got a clue when it comes to electrics. My old pug 205 doesn't have these issues and is a doddle to work on.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate. I have spoken to him and he insists that the car is good and that the issue is maybe a bad earth or something simple. I haven't got a clue when it comes to electrics. My old pug 205 doesn't have these issues and is a doddle to work on.
Well he can take it back and fix it then I guess. You paid super strong money for that car mate it needs to be right. Under the fuse/relay box in the engine bay is a big white electrical connector and is the cause of most of the electrical issues you hear of with clios. The plug need properly cleaning (all the points) with some contact cleaner or light sand paper. Then blowing out with an airline before dielectric grease applying and being refitted. I’ll bet it’s been jet washed under the bonnet then the car sat outside over winter and it’s a bloody mess. Alternatively the earth’s could be s**t, but he should’ve checked that.

personally I’d be asking him for my money back or repairing it

Peug 205 clio 182
Well he can take it back and fix it then I guess. You paid super strong money for that car mate it needs to be right. Under the fuse/relay box in the engine bay is a big white electrical connector and is the cause of most of the electrical issues you hear of with clios. The plug need properly cleaning (all the points) with some contact cleaner or light sand paper. Then blowing out with an airline before dielectric grease applying and being refitted. I’ll bet it’s been jet washed under the bonnet then the car sat outside over winter and it’s a bloody mess. Alternatively the earth’s could be s**t, but he should’ve checked that.

personally I’d be asking him for my money back or repairing it
Thanks for the tip I will check the connector when I finish work later.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
*IF* it’s the guy I’m thinking of he seemingly trades them as I’ve seen a fair few on eBay and Facebook all with the centre caps removed because he “can’t match the powder coat” done on all the cars. As I say the FB posts normally descend into people slating him for it etc (why it sticks in my mind)

I do vaguely remember a FB post of him finding the car to sell on and posting about it which is a bit odd in itself as prob best to keep shut up and just flog it.

Obviously it might not be him and this could of come via him as the powder coat & lack of caps is his signature.

But there’s so many on FB trading clios and you’ll see one for sale Monday and it’ll be at one of the traders Wednesday for a load more. I get that it’s the nature of the trade but does seem a bit odd to me buying direct from the pages and reselling to the same pages at inflated prices, just asking for grief. (and I’ve been in the motor trade most of my adult life)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Well that's a kick in the bolloks isn't it! DDC will sort it out no problem but you really should be chasing the seller for some compensation. Good luck with it.

Peug 205 clio 182
IMG_20220323_170754.jpg
car is booked in to dds for Monday. Here is a picture of the current lights on the dashboard. Also just discovered the heater fan doesn't work either. Had a good drive in it today. Have to say now it's got some coolant in, it drives bang on. The idle isn't great and definitely smells like it's running rich. Put optimax in but I run my bikes on it and realise there is a distingtive smell when using it but it's really strong.