ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seat belt eye bolts

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
Is there any reason why I can't remove one of the 4 bolts from my rollcage and replace it with an eye bolt for the lap strap on my harness? It all needs to be MSA compliant.

Clio 182
Whilst reason says yes ... I had issues with the Scrutineer at Snett last sat who was very keen to see independent fixings with plates top and bottom.
Connect the Scrutineer in advance, they'll give you a quick yes / no on this.

Is it much harder to add an additional hole and plate? I think it would be my preferred option. In a crash you would have extra load through the bolt from the harness, but it would probably be fine. I'd be more concerned that if the cage did punch through the floor or something it would take the lap strap with it. I wouldn't want roof crush loads going through my pelvis. Or in a side impact the mounting point might come inboard if the cage moved and loosen your belt. I'm just thinking out loud here, I could be completely wrong! But I imagine the scrutineer would probably rather see it done by the book for the sake of drilling a hole.

Clio 182
I had 9mins from leaving the Scrutineering garage to my practice session ... It's not harder to fit an extra hole and plating

The blue book will be for the where's and why fors ... Personally save the agro and conversation an mount a separate hole plate .. Nearside i mounted on the "tunnel" and offside where I could get the drill between the door bar and seat and inline with the Nearside . Pop a loop through a spacer / washer to a plate with a welded nut and nip up.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Do you have to weld the mounting plate or is it sufficient just to just use it to clamp to the shell with the eye bolt?
Iv been looking into this lately and seems to be fine either way. Some weld it to hold it in place as well as just having it sandwiched through, more somif you plan on unbolting the eyelet so that you dont need a 2nd pair of hands below the car
Some just weld the plate itself into the car on the inside and has passed numerous msa scrutineering for sprints and hillclimbs

Depending on the quality of welding, it could weaken the metal

Thanks for that. A little plug weld through the little hole should keep it in place so its easier to bolt and unbolt the eye bolt.
Taking all these tips in ready for my build.