ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

seatbelt help anybody

clio 182
the pretensioner has gone off in the rear on the passengers's side an locked the seatbelt up, a little birdie tell's me that is a way you can unlock the seatbelt somehow, is this true and if so how can it be done.

There a place in spane who can reset the airag computer apparently (its the same as the pretention) do a searhc on ebay I think otherwise a new unit from Renault is £300 or so plus fitment and accoring to Renault thats the only fix.
There no other fix. You still need to buy a new pretentioner though.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
THIS IS NOT A PERMANANT FIX AND I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS REPAIR. IF YOU DONT ACCEPT THAT....DONT DO IT. ( but start saving up for a replacement.)

Take the belt out of the car.

Look at the side with all the screws, about 20 of them. You will need the special bit for these, available from Snap-On. etc.

Remove the black plastic cap and watch your fingers as the spring comes into play. carefully turn it to release the tension and COUNT the turns.

Remove the cap and spring and undo the remaining screws.
Prise off the cover.
What you see is the spring foil and discharged explosive (white powder) this is very nasty corrosive stuff so wear a mask.

Cut the foil and remove it all. there will be a number of small red plastic pegs, remove these also.
Clear all the dust out (Wear that mask) spray the inside lightly with WD40 and reassemble the cover. Replace the outer housing after engaging the spring and winding on the samer number of turns you let go.

Replace all the screws and test.

Do not touch the other side of the belt assembly or you will be in trouble getting it back.

THIS IS NOT A PERMANANT FIX AND I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS REPAIR. IF YOU DONT ACCEPT THAT....DONT DO IT.

clio 182
thanks for the help not sure if i trust myself to do it, im gonna have to get it replaced anyway at some point, just not in time for my MOT on tuesday.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
go to a scrap yard and just buy any old seatbelt and bolt it in. i am sure you can get one for a couple of quid, old fiesta one or something, superglue it on to the metal behind the plastic covering so the mot people won't look. alternatively, take the rear seats out, then they can't fail it on the seatbelt not working

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
HANG ON! ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT A FRONT OR REAR BELT HERE ?

They can and will fail it on front seatbelts not working.

What you can do is fit a non SRS type from another Clio of the same style.
The front SRS belts are £470 each.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Most vehicles after 1965 must have seat belts. Irrespective of that requirement, all seat belts fitted to any vehicle must be inspected for:
  • security of seat belt mountings and locking stalks
  • security and operation of the locking/release mechanism
  • condition of webbing
  • retraction of the belt (it is allowed to manually feed it in). Notes: 1. For technical reasons the inertia locking mechanism is not checked. 2. On some vehicles the belt is attached to the seat, in which case the security of the seat to the vehicle would also constitute part of the seat belt check.

172 Cup 2003
just go to the scrappy bound to have a few clios knocking around, not worth super gluing etc...coz if the worst was to happen n a member of your famly / friends happened to be sat there...would you trust £3 pot of glue over someones life?

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
He only wants it to pass the MOT, he's had a few "misshaps" in the car recently lol, and is gonna get it repaired soon, but the MOT needs doing first. So only needs a temporary fix.

Dont think I like the idea of glue though anyway lol

172 Cup 2003
LOL all good then..seriously go to the scrappy chat to the lads sure they be able to sort you out