ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Securing a sub

after recently having my sub and 6X9s stolen from my car :)@) i have decided to get a stealth shelf and some new 6X9s. Im not sure whether to geta sub yet and i thought id ask u lot for ways of securing a sub to my car (i used velcro strips to stop my last sub from moving around which didnt appear to prove too difficult for those thieving b******s!!!).

So if anyone could tell me how to secure a sub i would be very grateful! :D

Also i looked on auto acoustics and u can buy a stealth shelf with a pair of 6X9 holes and a 12" sub hole. Does that mean it comes with a stealth box or is the sub actually in the shelf?!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

or drill hole through the bottom of car make sure u aint drilling thorugh ne thing like fuel tank and bolt it to the floor and use security screws to screw sub to box.

MaLicE

You make a small hole in the front so you can still unscrew the under-carriage for it.

The wheel is still under the car on the 172 innit?

Daz.

Clio 1.6 16V

.....or you could put a couple of holders on the side of the boot interior for the tyre repair foam canisters! (aka 172 Cup). That spare wheel void will give you a nice rear enclosure for a sub woofer. Just add a hole in the false floor for the tuned reflex port! The weight you gain with amps and speakers will cancel out against the weight of the past spare wheel! ....sorted!

just use something like a star nut to screw it in, just to make it more difficult, but ultimatly if some one knows you have a good stereo, they will knick it anyway, b******s. keep it turned down near anywhere you park it.

couple of observations:

1/ 6x9s and sub dont go, they dont work well together, have one or the other. if you want a sub get some coaxiles of the back

2/ if you want the sub secured, build a false floor. looks good.

3/ dont worry about the spare, you must have 17s, spares are for poofs:)

a flase floor sounds good, but do i need to screw the false floor to the boot or nething? unfortunately i dont have 17s!:( but i think i can get to my spare from underneath neway.

SteveJJH - thanks for the advice mate. i will bear it in mind from now on.

does neone know a step by step guide to building a false floor on the web?

BMW 320d Sport

When I built a false floor for my valver, I just got some wood and built it. first a big bit of paper to trace out the shape of the boot, then cut some hardboard to the same shape as the base layer. Then cut 1x2s out to make the walls of the false floor and the internal supports. Then a thin MDF top layer to be a removable cover secured by pins and R-clips. The whole thing wedges in very tight so no need for it to be secured properly to the floor. Theres also a cutout in the false floor where the sub box sits so that cant move around either.

So when you open the boot you see a sub box which seems recessed into the blue carpeted boot floor by 2 inches. If you undo all the clips around the edge of the floor, the blue part lifts off and you see three separate compartments underneath, one for the amp and its fan, one with electrics in it, and one with tow rope, tyre foam, jump leads, spare bulbs etc. There is a cutout for the spare wheel turn-bolt

Im getting rid of it though in a quest to lose some weight from my Clio. Anyone want to make me an offer? Will fit any Clio boot up to 98.

Clio V6 255

Quote:
3/ dont worry about the spare, you must have 17s, spares are for poofs:)

eh?!! are there some magical properties about 17" tyres that I dont know about?! (although I must admit I have driven some distance on what I thought was a pumped up tyre but was flat!).

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

I did something similar in mine, but I used the original boot carpet as a template. Ive made mine so that you have to slide it under the back seats a bit to get it in. This makes it very secure and it doesnt move around at all.

Rick

Nick,

How do you stop the amp overheating when its in an enclosed space like that?

Also, what size sub is that? and what size is that box?

SimonNOS, Usually, people use Computer Fans... £10 or so from Maplin.. Does the job!

Nick, Thanks! I think I need to start making mine. :)

Daz.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

;)Nick - you been scuba diving? ;) someones put a funny tank in your boot

BMW 320d Sport

One of the compartments holds the amp and it has two cutouts in the wall to allow cool air in from the passenger area. The other side of the amp has one cutout in the wall with a computer fan fitted perfectly in the cutout. The next compartment vents out to the boot floor ventilation flap. When you switch the system on, the trigger that switches on the amp also triggers a relay which switches on the fan, drawing air through across the amp casing and out through the boot vents. All invisible though!

BTW Dave what do you secure the velcro to?

yea, they will stop it moving about, but by reading the post, I think he wants it too stop them going walkabouts.

At least if its bolted down, and you cant actually lift it out of the boot easily, it wont be moving very far quick.

Daz.

BMW 320d Sport

Im thinking of making a complete false floor behind the front seats in the rear footwell, so the level of the rear bench carries on up to the backs of the front seats. One side will be a sealed compartment for the sub, the other side will be an opening compartment containing the amp and a little thing for tools and stuff.