ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sell for a VX yes/no!

Renault ChaVio

Tiff has a good point. When we are comparing the VX and Clio it is not like comparing a Corsa and a Clio or a VX and the Lotus.

One is practical and respected for being a great hot hatch that can chase down the best of them. Great handling, cheap running costs. The other is a pure mid engined sports car. The Lotus that it is based on is accepted as one of the best handling cars of all time – but you get bugger all else. not even a proper roof.

I dont know the guy who has the dilema, but looking at the mods on his car I suspect he likes going quickly and probably has no use for the rear seats. Take the VX or a Lotus.

Winter wont be a problem for you. Just drive like an OAP when it is wet or icy – at least until the following year when you should have the hang of it. So what if the roof leaks a bit? keep a cloth in the car, the heater works great as the cabin space is so small and there is nothing better than wrapping up warm, whipping off the roof and blasting around the countryside of a cold sunny morning with all that mist hovering over the fields. Just remember to take some lip balm as we girly/gay car owners hate chapped lips.

Then when your done with it move onto a V6 Clio if it was too much for you or a Noble if it wasnt enough. I doubt youll go back to a practical front wheel drive car again once you hit the sweet spot and realise what all the fuss is about.

Back to this badge thing. Surely no one with a renault can be accused of being a badge snob? I have to agree though, Vauxhall has the worst image of any of the manufacturers. Those adverts with Rhys Jones was the cherry. At least with a Renault you get some exciting design flair and a potential F1 world Champion. I hate to admit it, but there is no way Id buy the VX purely because of the image – but as a car the VX is superb (and so it should be, it is a Lotus).

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by Jay@auto-mods on 27 August 2005

Rip3z-lol i have thought about how i will look:eek: but i realy dont care cos its all about the drive and i like the look of it very much but i got called a "chav!" in my car the other day it realy pi**ed me off cos its not like im in a f**king nova!! :mad: oh an i was a girl!

i know what alot "lotus fans say!" i read once on a forum that i was all about the pub talk! like if you was telling a girl "oh i have a lotus an they would go wow!" but if you had the vx220 you would have to explane "you know the one its the sporty vauxhall 2 seater" lol such snobs! but i think the vx220 looks nicer than the S1 but the S2 i think is as nice but different to the vauxhall but also i liked the engine in the VX bigger and more power also im sure the are cams head work ect: just like the clio lump (recon BenR could sort me out?
I get the impression that you are another one of these people that have already made their mind up that they want the car. It is pretty easy to spot people like that because when someone says "yes its a great car buy it" you say "thanks for your opinion I appreciate it" but when someone says "no dont buy it because x,y,z" you start defending the car and justifying why those flaws are not a problem.

I dont know why people bother asking when they have already made their mind up.

All I can tell you is that from 30-100 the NA is slower than your 5 seater shopping trolleys (CTR/LCR/182/FRS) and the top speed is the same as my cr*ppy old 2.2 litre Vectra.

To me that level of performance is totally unacceptable from something as heavily compromised as a two seater mid engine rear wheel drive "sports" car.

So I will say it again, either get a turbo, a Caterham or dont bother and just get a quicker hot hatch or stick with what you have. I can only think you want the car for image because I sure as hell wouldnt want to spend that much on a second hand car with such poor performance and if you want an image instead of performance then you cant really knock those in favour of the Lotus badge. As I see it if you just want to use the car for showing off or sitting in pubs talking about mickey mouse zero to sixty figures all day you might as well get an Elise.

Renault ChaVio

LOL :D

The car is all about handling. You carry speed into and though corners.

I was on a track day recently where there was a 182 – I locked onto him from quite a long way back and started reeling him in faster than you can imagine but wherever there was a straight I could do nothing. So, I new the main straight was coming and started pushing even harder to close down the distance only to spin the Elise on the final corner before the straight. A lesson for me there – the 182 came out the winner that day.

Someone said Vauxhalls have the worst reputation of all car manufacturers. Dont forget Rover/MG! Also I am sure the new facelift vx220 is coming out soon. Its not a totally new car, just has new headlights to freshen it up.

If you do buy it remeber its been on sale for around 4-5 years now and in my opinion externally it is starting to look really dated and tired. The original 2.2 alloys look really bad. I said it looked like a hairdressers car ok maybe thats not really the case but it

Ok so im not an expert but another memory of me driving one was the coarseness of the engine behind me. Isnt that engine really old? If I was to spend that money on a out and out sports car, I would also want something with a bit more pedigree and heritage.

Yaris Hybrid

The 2.2 engine is no older than the 172/182 engine and I wouldnt say it was coarse. Its as smooth as any 4 cylinder engine can be with a nice spread of power and torque.

However that nice spread of power and torque is also its problem in a sports car application. It was designed for the Vectra and carrying 5 people and a load of luggage on normal roads without having to rev the nuts off it. With a sports car engine you want to sacrifice that driveability for more outright power at high revs.

145bhp is not enough for a sports car, bear in mind that the far lighter Caterham superlights start at 160 ish. The VX has the same power to weight as a 182 and the RWD gives it a fairly decent 0-60 time which helps the owners save face in the "bar stool grand prix" but in the real world the lack of power hurts.

Of course the original NA VX was marketed more as a fun Roadster like the MR2 than as a full on sports car. For that sort of usage its a nice engine and the turbo was introduced for those hard core sports car fanatics.

Agree with many of the points on there, but I reckon 145 is enough for a sports car, I thought Caterhams started at approx 130 bhp for the 1.4 and they still hit 60 is 6 ish seconds. And im sure the 2.2 is abit older than the clio 172 engine I remember them using it in the big people carrier they made and that was S reg 1998 - cant remember its name another exciting memorable vauxhall..er no.

Yaris Hybrid

The very basic Caterhams start at a lot less, the superlights are a bit more hardcore and start higher.

You have to get away from mickey mouse 0-60 figures, they can be deceiving and have no bearing on real world performance. Some people like 0-100 or quarter miles but I feel that standing starts are mickey mouse full stop. Best to look at 30 to 70 or preferably 30-100 as that better simulates the speeds most people will do on the road and track.

Remember power to weight is most useful up to 70 or 80. Once you reach that point the pure power figures (and of course aero) start to take over in significance.

Renault ChaVio

Youre both missing the point a little bit. I cant think of many cars with a better chassis that communicates so much and can be adjusted with the steering and throttle as easily. Around a track these cars are in a different league. sh*t for popping down the shops though.

The K-series in the Elise sounds agricultural to me so Im not surprised the Vauxhall does as well – there is bugger all soundproofing as well. With a decent exhaust drowning it out they are great.

Tiff, it took me a long time to get used to my car. At first I was scared in it I felt so vugnerable. And the handling took some learning with me exiting roundabouts looking up the carridgeway through the passenger window. Some of what you say fit with some of my early memories.

Wheres the guy with the dilema? Surely he has been test driving this weekend?

Either way youre a lucky boy to be in such a position.

If you could I was still suggest trying a Caterham to see what you think - if only to rule it out.

If youre buying a car for the everyday that is half tidy on the track, a VX220 is a nice little buy.

If youre buying a car with the thought of "genuine speed and control" then youll be disappointed with the VX having driven a Caterham.

Its a personal preference. A similar priced Caterham will laugh at any VX for all but everyday driveability - and even then that comes down to a personal preference. I know of someone who does use it as any everyday car and must be nearing the 100k mile mark now:

http://www.mycaterham.com/http://www.mycaterham.com/

Good luck with whatever you choose - hopefully I will be in the same position in a couple of years time.

Yaris Hybrid

I figure if I had a garage I could live with one all year round, it certainly would be easier to use in ice and snow than the bike.

The trouble is without a garage it would last all of five minutes outside my house in Bristol...

If they could just design a hard top roof that still allowed you to get in and out! Perhaps something that hinged up and locked in place.

Renault ChaVio

There is one for the Elise. Some sort of gull-winged top thing. Opens up the ownership for the old folks.

I am here! im just having a realy good read! i cant realy say much:oops: you all seem to know what ur saying an i know that a caterham will be a bit much to live with as an all year everyday car! the vx is so much fun it handles so well and feels real solid it is quick id say as quick as my cup on a straight and quicker round corners so that makes me happy! i have mad my mind up iv found a 2001 VX Only 6000miles:eek: garaged all its life and very clean i have tst driven it an the engine did feel "tight" but im sure a few more miles will loosen it up! + a few mods, its a Blue one.

id just like to say thats again for the feedback and opitions (when i ask "should i buy a vx i realy ment it! cos i realy didnt know its only the past few days that i realy have made my mind up "hence" why my car + bits are for sale:) i will miss the car alot and has been so much fun but reason why im getting to change is cos the cost are the same as the cup. i will post some pics up when i get the car but i need to sell the car yet. can i just say its been very well looked after and is in the for sale section:D £7995*with full de-cated system + ITG MAXOGEN filter also its got climate control A/C

Yep Ant V6, vunurable is a perfect description of how I felt, but im sure you would get used to it and gain more confidence after having the car for a week or two.

All I can say is enjoy it and have fun!