ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Serious problem :( whirrin sound??

Well i'm sat here in car in the cold and all alone waitin for car to get here to tow me lol

Basically started car and whirrin sound comin from engine, thought hmmm i'll get home and look at it tomoz. Anyway it got louder and louder then started smellin hot so pulled over and opened bonnet to find smoke comin from alternater kind of area and a really weird smell. So Erm yea... Any ideas whats gone wrong? :(

well at home now, being towed is scary, i had engine on so had lights and power steering and brakes woop. battery light and stop/handbrake light came on, so im guessin alternator is fucked?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
That sounds like the altenator tbh, when mine started to go the car sounded like it had a supercharger! :evil:

How many miles has it done, iirc mine was on about 80k when it went??

Mondeo TDCI 130
Howdy! Yep sounds like the alt! Worrying thing is it was only replaced last year, by us on the 15 / 4 / 08, had done 39K.

Thats the second renault alternator we have replaced that as lasted no time at all!

They must be crap, there reconditioned units, as brand new ones from renault are £300 + iirc!!

Unfortunately its over 12 months ago, so renault are not going to want to know about parts warranty.

Hope you get it soted soon!! :)

Mondeo TDCI 130
£175.57 for a recon unit from renault. new renault unit, £385! there all plus vat, lol!! Good old renault!

53 Clio's & counting
what parts warranty do Renault have? I work for VW ands every part has a to year warranty ( well a few dont) so worth contacting Renault to check?

Def sounds like the alternator's seized, iv seen one blow itself apart before on a Golf

M

mini-valver

Easy enough to change if you're confident. Not much room either, lol.

Gem

Racing Blue 182
I wouldn't have the first f**king clue about changing the alternator....if you don't know what you're doing, take it to a garage.

M

mini-valver

Back in the kitchen. Spanners are like advanced utensils so women can learn to use them too.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
iirc, 3x10 or 13mm bolts to remove the alternator :)

Give it a go Lou if you fail, atleast it hasnt cost you anythin, as the garage will have to take it off anywayz.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
But if shes only goin to get it towed to the garage no powersteering will be ok, but shes is a girl so better t keep it on :rasp:

Gem

Racing Blue 182
Back in the kitchen. Spanners are like advanced utensils so women can learn to use them too.

Oh get back under your rock.

Good job I already have spanner knowledge.....

But I'd rather observe someone doing it, then know for next time, rather than be a tool and fook it up. Women only have to be told once ;)

M

mini-valver

They usually have to be the victim of domestic violence too, which is just forceful learning IIRC.

Gem

Racing Blue 182
A gentle slap never hurt anyone.......LOL.

TBH, if mine ever breaks I'm going to bring it to you and watch a pro at work. ;)

Mondeo TDCI 130
iirc, 3x10 or 13mm bolts to remove the alternator :)

Give it a go Lou if you fail, atleast it hasnt cost you anythin, as the garage will have to take it off anywayz.

You have never put an alternator on a 172 have you?! lol!!

There ok'ish, aux belt is the worst bit, if you have no tool to do the tensioner its hard work!

Gem

Racing Blue 182
So basically you're getting a 172 and are going to attempt to change the alternator for the very first time?

Good luck :D

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
^ changed a alternator before Gem,

& im doin a conversion, were the engine will be out, fron end will be completly off, so i wont have any problems,

God your in a foul mood today, always pickin on people ffs lol

Gem

Racing Blue 182
:eek:

You're just a bit too easy to wind up! (Welsh *cough*)
Good on you for doing a conversion, I do hope you've set up a project thread? (I should check if you have really first....)

Cliolou, is it sorted yet?

tiTTy & SV650
defo one for a garage rather than attempting as a first DIY effort cause if the aux belt goes on a 2.0 we all know it can take the timing belt with it...