ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sheared Renault Locking Nut - Any Help In West Mids??

421 Cammed 172
Took my alloys off today to send them to ReFurbing and have managed to shear one of the crappy renault locking nuts :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Can anyone recommend somewhere or can anyone (Fred) come and help me get it out if they're situated in the west mids??

Majorly p**sed off now! Everytime i arrange to go to a car show something happens!!!!

Last edited:
  1.2L 8v Clio
Hey, I have a bit of advice on getting it out... I cannot be any help though as i live too far away... What you can try and do is hammer an ordinary socket over it so it fits in then unscrew it.

All depends on what kind of locking nut it is.

421 Cammed 172
The bolt heads in my pocket mate.

Just the thread left in the hub, should've pointed that out really!

1.2L 8v Clio
So if the wheel is off, you could get some one with a welder to weld a new bolt head to the thread.

But i dont know if you know anyone who can weld.

Thats pretty much what they will do in a garag

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
erm best thing to i think if you've taken head of, take it to a garage in morning. they'll be able to unwind the broken bolt out from inside the hub. same thing happened to me they sorted it fine.

421 Cammed 172
Its got no wheels on - lol

I think i'm gonna try chiselling a slot in it and using a big screwdriver to unwind, actually thinking about it that'll widen the thread so it won't turn.

I guess i'll ave to get the bolt remover from screwfix and do it at home!

Any tips from anyone who's done it before??

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Its got no wheels on - lol

I think i'm gonna try chiselling a slot in it and using a big screwdriver to unwind, actually thinking about it that'll widen the thread so it won't turn.

I guess i'll ave to get the bolt remover from screwfix and do it at home!

Any tips from anyone who's done it before??

if you wanna do it yourself have a quick search, theres loads on this. seems to be a real common prob with renault lock wheel nuts.

Bumder With A Buffer
Screw extractor set might be worth a poke if your really stuck. Get rid of the locking wheel nuts they are a royal pain in the arse! I know it makes them that little bit harder to steal but if someone wants to steal your wheels they will get the locking nuts off easily using a socket or simialr!

421 Cammed 172
Its out now.

Thanks for all the advise, i didn't end up buying screw extractors or going to quik fit.

In the end i removed the disc and wound the thread out from the back with some mole grips and WD40.

Just gotta remember where i usually get my brake cleaner from so i can degrease everything after the WD40 useage!

A couple of pics anyway!

090602_175517.gif

090603_173136.gif