ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shift light on 172 Cup & How old are you?

CrazyK said:
I love second gear!!! lol :evil:

Personally i prefer 3rd gear, but second can be good fun too.

Im 22 by the way, and pay £880 on insurance which i dont think is too bad.

I had a Beemer 323 convertible before the cup, and the beemer was just plain boring compared to the clio. So i'd ignore the idiots at work as they clearly have no idea.

Just challenge them to a race (unless of course they drive RS6's and M3's lol)

Black RS200
Im 37, never had any comment about the car i drive for my age BUT. . .
i do get comments saying i must be gay because Clio's are a hairdressers car!
Id love to see a hairdresser drive it like i do :)
most ppl want to get out b4 i reach 3rd gear!

ps, i always wait for the green gear shift light to come on b4 i change gear, its just a pain in 5th gear as i have to sit there looking at it unable to find 6th!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Guilbert said:
Personally i prefer 3rd gear, but second can be good fun too.

Im 22 by the way, and pay £880 on insurance which i dont think is too bad.

I had a Beemer 323 convertible before the cup, and the beemer was just plain boring compared to the clio. So i'd ignore the idiots at work as they clearly have no idea.

Just challenge them to a race (unless of course they drive RS6's and M3's lol)

Mate,

I had a 328I se which I sold because it was sooooo boring to drive!! lovely car, full leather every conceivable mod going! I lost a load of money on it too but much happier with the 172! I see the beema quite often on my way home and have had a few blats with it as I expected the 172 is faster to 100 but 4 gear in them beema is phenominal and there is no keeping up with it! My mates got a 325 ci with the tiptronic box I piss all over him!

Silver 172 PhII
JayJo said:
Hi,
PS, who cares what BMW, Audi drivers say. All they did was made an easy choice because they don't know what else is out there.

Actually I think they go for the badge. Audi make Skodas and seats which are meant to be good cars. Some of them use a lot of common parts but people still go for the Audi badge. Why? Image. Or at least the image they think it gives off. The BMW 1 series is badly spec'd, over priced and doesn't get good reviews, yet people see the badge, get a bulge in their pants and bend over for the salesman. To a certain extent you do get what you pay for (our lovely Clio's aren't that expensive and the compromise in price seems to be on quality) but when it comes to companies such as Audi/Seat/Skoda or Ford/Jag (Jag X type = Mondeo) some people can't see beyond the badge.

I always keep this in mind as I easily manage to halul past anyone driving a poverty spec BMW 316... :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
35 over here.

As for the image conscious tossers at your work...don't give them the satisfaction of thinking that their opinion matters to you.

The ONLY thing that matters is how it drives, and in a 172 Cup (with few exceptions) you'd "own" them all day long :D

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
My dads 42 and he has just got a 182 :) my plan is to buy it when im about 20

172CUP/Fiesta supersport
i'm 31 and I also have a 172CUP, my other car is a mk1 fiesta supersport 1980 W with a 1700cc turbo'd xflow......love it.

Black Mk2 172
Have a 'full fat' 03' plate 172 never noticed a shift light where is it supposed to be? maybe im not driving hard enough! Im 22

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine
I acquaint myself with the shift light everyday; it feels like an opportunity missed if I get through a whole journey without seeing it.

am sure the shift light is on all the later 172`s mine has but its more of a your gonna hit the limiter light. learn 2 shift b4 it. plus its in a s**t place for an `optimal shift light` u really dont wanna be lookin down there on full throttle.

age mmm i am 25, my cars 3 years old who cares we both work

as 4 the bmw & audi boys( sorry MEN) well they just love to pull the pi*s until u blast them ha

172 Cup
Phew, I'm not the oldest here, thats cheered me up no end :D I'm 31 and brough a cup for exactly the same reasons as you, wanted something quick and could never afford it until now.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I've been trying to type this response but my ageing fingers and poor eye sight makes me very slow these days. I have a 172 X reg and it does have that little green light. I noticed it come on the other day when I was driving back after collecting my pension. Off for some warm cocoa now.
BTW I pay just under £300 basic cost for my insurance. But my pension doesn't go very far!

Rob669

Clio Sport 172
Age=26 and pay £800 for insyarnce.

My PH1 172 has a green shift light on the left hand side of the dash, screaming change gear FFS :evil: oh and a alloy bonnet

I thought that was standard on all 172/182

Clio 182
MOZZalba said:
i'm 31 and I also have a 172CUP, my other car is a mk1 fiesta supersport 1980 W with a 1700cc turbo'd xflow......love it.

LOL my first car before I passed my test! a Fiesta Supersport X reg. Only a 1.3 one though. Loved it to bits, did'nt pass my test before having to scrap it cos it would of cost me way to much to get it through the MOT. Gutted to this day !!

Sorry back on topic

I'm nearly 27 with a AWT/GDI 201 BHP 182. I love it, and its rattles!! (adds character and rawness to the driving experience in my opinion) My mate has an Audi A3 1.8T (Personally I think its boring but a bullet proof build still boring tough). I think he secretly prefers my car after I took him out for a spin in it once. I also have a green shift light. I think its more of a warning though. I dont always notice it as i'm normally concentrating on the road and clinging on

172 Cup
Hi everyone - Been a member for a while but never posted before doh.

I'm closer to 39 than 38 and have had my 172 Cup from new. Had BM's in the past but as someone said before they are boring to drive. Had a 330 sport with SMG (flappy paddles) and even that wasn't as much fun as my Cup. Had a bit of a "race" a few months back with a new 330 and he couldn't shake me. Talking of age's etc there is a guy down the road from me who must be the otherside of 60 who drives a Cup, and boy does he keep it clean.

Clio 182
Also, I'm geting loads of stick from my workmates who all drive image conscious Audi's & BMW's or 'sensible family cars' they are saying I'm too old for one of these Clio's and that I'm having a mid-life crisis...(the B***ards) - my response to them is that I have always wanted a car that is fast & handles well but could never afford the insurance, now that I'm 35 and a half I can finally afford to pay & insure (fully comp) my new pride & joy - we all know who'll get the last laugh 'cos I'll be passing all of them on the way home from work ;)

Ive had all that mid life crisis and the oldest boy racer around crap . But when someone pointed out the performance figures and they see me dissapearing from view the smug looks dissapeared and they went away, probably thinking of ways of convincing their other halves that 4 doors and boot space are not really necessary.

Oh nearly forgot I'm 46.

Liquid yellow R26 F1
LOL.. Must admit i get the same... I'm 32 on Sunday..:(

cliostatic3.jpg

Looking for 172/182 Now
This is my first post , but it seemed like a good topic to reply to, I am 32 and currently looking for a 172/182, i have owned to many cars to mention inc Bm's and a scooby last year (bottom end blew), the reason i am looking at the sport range is i want something with good extras (air con etc) and have a bit of go! i like a car to be fun to drive, and i don't think that makes me to old, the other thing is you cant really get a decent insurance quote till over 25 anyway
Tell your mates at work to live a little

ST
Brand new 182, 21....hmm shift light...only really seen it when it flashes on start up.....jus learning to drive it...lol

RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup
53clio_tom said:
shift light on my 182

oh..iam 20 by the way ;) £1183 insurance!

where are the old people then?

I am 20, i paid £1550 (when i was 19) to insure my 182 last year! Which insurance company you with because it's my renewal soon?

If you are giving a 172 a hard time how in the hell do you have time to look at the shift light.......

age 52 and love driving my clio (last car a WRX)

inferno rs 182
53clio_tom said:
shift light on my 182

oh..iam 20 by the way ;) £1183 insurance!

where are the old people then?

am 20 with an 05 182. my insurance is £11?? cant remember exactly, thats with a crash but when i had the fiesta and 1 yrs no claims.

who you insured with clio_tom???

M140i/Orange 182
BUFFALO said:
am 20 with an 05 182. my insurance is £11?? cant remember exactly, thats with a crash but when i had the fiesta and 1 yrs no claims.

who you insured with clio_tom???

hi guys, iam insured with elephant with my mum and dad as name drivers knocked quite a bit off!

my last car was a 1.2 dynamique and my insurance for that was £570 with 2 and a half years no claims...so it comes to insure my fireball and they said it was an extra £613! i said ok then! :)

but....iam on a 10 month bonus accelerator so that may be why? sounds good!

its all good though, f'n love my car! :) :)

inferno rs 182
i'm up for renewal in april, its 10 month bonus thingy. i hope to get itn under 1k with bell direct. no complaints tho. totally agree with clio_tom i luv my baby. would be willing to pay more