ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shift light wiring help

Clio 182
Hi All
I need help!
It has 3 wires, 1 to ignition live, 1 to negative on the battery, but I need to find where the green wire goes from the shift light. It says either to the negative of the coil or crane connect wire to tach terminal??!!
It has

Clio 182
I fact I'd like to take it from the back of my clocks inside the car so which wire is it on the back of the clocks?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That wire needs to go onto one of the coil pack wires. The rev counter is controlled by canbus so there isn't an engine rpm signal going into the clocks as such.

@Martin. and I fitted one of these a couple of weeks ago. We ran the wire through the bulkhead and into the engine loom sheathing around the thermostat. The wire then went up and joined the spark signal wire going to the coilpack. We made sure not to break the wire going to the coilpack, removed the insulation and soldered the shift light wire to maintain reliability of the coilpack wiring. Because the cylinders fire two at a time you can connect it to either the orange or beige wire. These wires also come out of pins 1 and 32 on the ecu. As there are 2 wires for spark signal (on the coil pack) you need to set the shift light up as a 2 cylinder (1 signal pulse per revolution).

The live and ground can be taken from any ignition live/ground in the car dash loom.

Don't have any pics sorry!

Clio 182
That's superb info but!!! My shift light is for 4, 6 & 8 cylinder engines!!! It ain't going to work on 4 is it?!

That wire needs to go onto one of the coil pack wires. The rev counter is controlled by canbus so there isn't an engine rpm signal going into the clocks as such.

@Martin. and I fitted one of these a couple of weeks ago. We ran the wire through the bulkhead and into the engine loom sheathing around the thermostat. The wire then went up and joined the spark signal wire going to the coilpack. We made sure not to break the wire going to the coilpack, removed the insulation and soldered the shift light wire to maintain reliability of the coilpack wiring. Because the cylinders fire two at a time you can connect it to either the orange or beige wire. These wires also come out of pins 1 and 32 on the ecu. As there are 2 wires for spark signal (on the coil pack) you need to set the shift light up as a 2 cylinder (1 signal pulse per revolution).

The live and ground can be taken from any ignition live/ground in the car dash loom.

Don't have any pics sorry!

What he said ^ LOL

My Shift light is compatible for 1-12 cylinder engines. And the F4R is classed as a 2 cylinder on the shift light because of the cylinders firing in pairs.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Brainwave. What about connecting a wire from the 2-3 cylinder signal and one from the 1-4 line into the signal wire for the shift light and then putting a diode in each wire to stop back flow of the current sparking the wrong cylinders.

Does it say on the instructions how many pulses it expect to see per revolution?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Perfect then!
My first move would be to run a diode set up. I've included a really basic diagram which I hope is easy to understand. It's the first time I've used the software so it might be turd.

Otherwise you need to double the rpm at which the light flashes as the light will think the engine is doing half the rpm it actually is. I don't think this is possible though as the limit is 11k from the listing.

The light on 4 cylinder function is expecting to see 2 signals per revolution but when connected to only 1 signal wire it will see just one. Diode method is best from what I can see as you need to double the signal frequency.

Capture_zpsqng4zvwi.png

Clio 182
So I'm basically joining the green wire from the shift light to the White wire and orange wire on the coil pack? The non live wires?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
So I'm basically joining the green wire from the shift light to the White wire and orange wire on the coil pack? The non live wires?
Sorry I missed your post that would be my idea yeah although you NEED to have the diodes in there to prevent the signal going from one coil wire to the other and firing the wrong cylinders at the wrong time. It should work but I can't promise anything of course!

Clio 182 race car
Sorry about the thread from the dead lol! But did this work? Thinking of buying one of these for the race car and don't want to spend a fortune on a omex etc...

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Sorry about the thread from the dead lol! But did this work? Thinking of buying one of these for the race car and don't want to spend a fortune on a omex etc...
mine and Martins shift lights work so yes! DRE shift light if you want to buy one.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Cheers, I'll give it a try! What diodes did you use?
well that depends which light you have. If you buy a DRE you don't need them because it has sufficient settings to adjust. The above diagram is for the cheapy light the OP used.

Clio 182 race car
I was going to try a cheap one, I can't justify the 80 odd quid for a flashing LED lol!