ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Short Shift...Real World Experiance

Don't worry all, I have used the search function!

Now I've been thinking of getting a short shifter for my 182, but after searching on here most people recommend it, as it's not good for the gearbox, which makes sense and is fair enough

What I'm wondering though is how many if you have actually had or seen a gearbox fail due to a having a short shift fitted?

I'm just finding the throw on the 182 quite long, and if I'm honest much prefer my Corsa's gear shift (completely standard) - just feels shorter and more positive

When searching I saw people spoke highly of Yanoo's base kits, helping the gear change be more positive - I've just sent him a PM to see if he's still doing them

Many Thanks

James

Having done a bit more research, seems the Megane Scenic shifter is quite a popular mod, especially with a Yanoo stiff shift

What I'm interested in is what advantage the scenic shifter offers?

If in theory it has the same throw as the original, the only advantage I can see is that it's closer to the steering wheel, I.e less distance to move your hands

Or is there another advantage I'm missing?

I have the scenic shifter, the modded one by ash on here.

Makes a huge difference! Its a lot taller, angled back towards driver, and just overall feels way way better to use.
Standard ones horrible, 3rd and 5th you almost punch the dash and I only realised sfter fitting new shifter now much I slouched forward to compensate for the low and distant gear shifts.

Lovely relaxed position now, feels much more natural! Can't recommend one enough. Pms also do a similar style shifter... there's a waiting list with ash as he does them in his spare time.

Only thing I'd say is if you buy scienic one, buy and fit the yanoo stiff shift the same time, would tighten it up even more. I'm looking to do this soon which means taking it off again to do so.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'm thinking towards the scenic shifter by ash. I know what you mean regarding 3rd and fifth, noticeable in the track car the way I'm strapped in

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah pms shifter is out of a justifiable reach, although very nice. How much are the ones ash do? I may get one and do it in my own time as the car doesn't get used that much so no panic

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
The scenic shifters are a bit more expensive now as he turns an alloy shaft sleeve rather than using the original and it looks so much better, especially with the white quaife type gear knob.
I've got one, but it's not fitted yet as I'm still building my shell.

Thanks all, especially Dan, some useful information there buddy

So the advantage in reality is just a lot more natural and comfortable position?

I think I read on another thread that with the scenic shifter you can fit a shorter gear linkage, which reduces the throw my 10%, which on the scenic shifter will bring it back to the same throw as standard

I'll have to get in touch with Ash on here and see what current pricing and waiting time is

Yeah he's stopped doing plastic shafts now. I opted for the plastic and prefered the chunky look of it.

Ashs scenic one is around same throw, if not a touch less than standard clio.

He does 3 mods to it. He angles it back, extends the bottom end of the lever (which in turn shortens throw to compensate the extra length of top section) and something else which I can't remember.

I can't recommend one enough. Higher up and angled back.... Its easy reach, natural, looks good and just really adds a lot to the drive when pressing on.

You could fit a standard scenic shaft and see how that feels, maybe fit a shorter linkage to that and try bending it back yourself?
Or just leave it as it is and try it out and if you don't like it post it on to ash and he can charge what ever to modify it for you.

Yeah. These are 100. I'd Definately recommend getting the yanoo stiff shift with it too.
Would feel amazing with the 2 items combined.
Thanks for the link Dan,

Do you think you think you need the Yanoo stiff shift with it?

Reading Ash's thread it says it has a shorter throw (short shift), Is that the case or not? His latest one says 25%, original ones said 40%

I've asked on his thread and just waiting to hear...

Thanks for the link Dan,

Do you think you think you need the Yanoo stiff shift with it?

Reading Ash's thread it says it has a shorter throw (short shift), Is that the case or not? His latest one says 25%, original ones said 40%

I've asked on his thread and just waiting to hear...
No probs [emoji5]

You don't need it, more I think it'd add to an already great product.
Don't forget it's technically a 2nd hand gear lever, so the standard ball joint may have a bit of play, as mine does. Even if it was brand new the yanoo ball joint would still stiffen it up and give an even better tighter shift.

The throw seems to be about same as std clio, maybe a little shorter.

Its been shortened to compensate, as the lever is so long it just makes it the equivalent throw as standard clio.

Try it without yanoo and see how you get on perhaps, it shifts well now but the yanoo would add a more weighty feel to the shift I'd imagine.

Edit: @dann2707 has the scenic shifter combined with the yanoo fitted. He'd probably be able to advise you more.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Ive got a scenic shift lever which I am rebuilding with standard bits (available on ebay), will be doing the linkage mod to tilt it back slightly, and adding a 10% shift pin to reduce the throw slightly. I need a new knob though!