ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

short shifter ?? is it a good thing ??

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Nope, don't do it! They look nice and give the change a much more mechanical feel but the damage they can inflict on the internals is not worth the risk (IMO).

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
when changing gear with sychromesh you need to give things time to engage properly. You should not force the gearchange but should take a smooth and lazy approach. Time everything right and everything flows into place.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Nope, don't do it! They look nice and give the change a much more mechanical feel but the damage they can inflict on the internals is not worth the risk (IMO).

That's why I haven't fitted one yet. I much prefer the gear change with one fitted, but not at the risk of damaging the box TBH.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've run the B&M unit in my old ITB'd 19 and it was fine providing you didn't rush the change or force it. It came cheap, gave 100% improvement in the selector 'feel' but I wouldn't fit another one if I had to buy it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
But the one Yanoo sells is okay? Ive still not got round to fitting mine yet,, Edit Birchdown to fit mine yet

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've not seen it but I assume it works on a similar principal to every other short shifter out there for these cars which will rush the change

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Think the one ive got is to stop the movement of the gearstick and to make it more precise.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
I've not seen it but I assume it works on a similar principal to every other short shifter out there for these cars which will rush the change

I've made a 'base' conversion kit for the Renault gear linkage. This kit replaces the sloppy ball joint housing in the gear stick housing, the flexible ball insert (on the gear stick) and the small metal bush in the elbow joint at the gearbox. This base kit stop the movement/play of the gear linkage, gives very precise shift feel without the risk of damaging the gearbox. It's 'invisible' when it's fitted.
This kit maybe supplemented by brass bushes. These ones replace the red nylon bushes in the bottom of the gear stick.
Additionaly, short shift link may be used together with this kit. Faster gear change may damage the sinchro rings, it's fact. This is why I've made 2 versions of the short shift link. The shorter one is identical to the the well-known short shift links (made by other companies), it gives approx. 15% shorter shift throw (although other people say it can shorten the shift throw up to 30% in itself...) and probably will decrease the lifespan of the gearbox. The other type of mine is a longer short shift link, it gives approx. 10% shorter shift throw. I think it's a good balance between shorter throw and lifespan. It doesn't cause too much extra stress for the synchro rings but you can feel the difference in the shift throw, compared to the genuine shift throw.

I've made a 'base' conversion kit for the Renault gear linkage. This kit replaces the sloppy ball joint housing in the gear stick housing, the flexible ball insert (on the gear stick) and the small metal bush in the elbow joint at the gearbox. This base kit stop the movement/play of the gear linkage, gives very precise shift feel without the risk of damaging the gearbox. It's 'invisible' when it's fitted.
This kit maybe supplemented by brass bushes. These ones replace the red nylon bushes in the bottom of the gear stick.
Additionaly, short shift link may be used together with this kit. Faster gear change may damage the sinchro rings, it's fact. This is why I've made 2 versions of the short shift link. The shorter one is identical to the the well-known short shift links (made by other companies), it gives approx. 15% shorter shift throw (although other people say it can shorten the shift throw up to 30% in itself...) and probably will decrease the lifespan of the gearbox. The other type of mine is a longer short shift link, it gives approx. 10% shorter shift throw. I think it's a good balance between shorter throw and lifespan. It doesn't cause too much extra stress for the synchro rings but you can feel the difference in the shift throw, compared to the genuine shift throw.

How much is the 2nd kit Yanoo?

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
How much is the 2nd kit Yanoo?

It always depends on the current HUF/GBP exchange ratio. Usually the base kit is 48£. The base kit with brass bushes is 55£. The extra cost of the longer short shift link is 20£. Postage included (recorded mail with tracking number)

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
im looking at getting one of yanoo's kits to work along side my powerflex dog bone bush so it should be a good enough change with out going down the short shift route and damageing the box

Evo
Gearbox starting crunching after 3000 miles into fourth, a few months later 2nd followed. Now the box is being rebuilt. On the 182, not the 197.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
The Yanoo kit is excellent, been on my car for a few days now and I love it. I wouldn't think twice about getting one mate, really good piece of kit, excellent customer service and good detailed guides to complete the job yourself

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Another thumbs up for Yanoo kit here.. 20k and 3 trackdays (115k on the gearbox) and all good still!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
My lever has developed a little "sloppiness" of later. Yanoo, do I need to order a stiff base kit AND a brass bush?

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Base kit in itself is the suggested kit if you would like to tighten your gear linkage up. No need to use brass bushes if your car is low mileaged (under 60-70k miles), these brass bushes are only an extra option. They can give noticeable stiffer/more precise feel if the genuine red, plastic gear stick bottom bushes are worn.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I have cliosports-ph2's short shifter, good bit of kit comes with a shorter bar to replace the standard (under the gearbox)aswell, but abit of a nightmare to re-aline the selector as there is very little tollarace between gears coz of the reduced throw.

Have given it a short road test when taking the car for MOT and it all seamed solid no slack and precise gear changes so all good.

Clio 172 rs
Post revival 🤣
You still doing these kits?