ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

should i buy a 172 now

Clio 182

hey guys, i had a post on a coule of weeks ago about how i was going to view a 172 cup. i did, but then changed my mind. anyway, my current car, a 1.4 RT, every month now when i get paid im having to spend money on it, it now needs the brakes looked at and my local garage reckon my water pump is on its way out. but i bet i get these things fixed, a few weeks later something else will be wrong so i thought, right i need to get rid of it now. i have 8grand to spend but id love a 182 but i cant seem to save anything and 8grand will not buy me a 182 here. cheapest ive seen is £10k. i cant save as my current car seems to be eating my savings up. im not sure if ishould go for second best and buy a 172, but really my heart is set on the 182. i just dont wana regret my decision, buy a 172 now then a few months later wish id bought a 182 when the prices have gone down. is there a massive difference betwen the 2? i dont know what to do.

Clio 182

i love the balck 182s tho with the dark grey wheels. also do you not get more kit in the 182

the 182s come with cruise control where as some 172s dont. Someone posted up a list of all the modifications a few weeks back.

E60 diesel powah

^^ bodystylin is the same, i prefer the 172, not as many people have got them, but i think am gettin a m1 172, they have grown on me alot!!

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer

not really plus you can get a black 172 and put 182 wheels on it. i was gonna get a 182 but decided to get a very low mile 172 and ive got no regrets

Clio 182

where do you think id get the 182 wheels from and how much you think id have to pay for them? im seriously considering doing that now

Quote: Originally posted by d_tyler on 09 September 2005

where do you think id get the 182 wheels from and how much you think id have to pay for them? im seriously considering doing that now
from here... quite often go for around £400.

Quote: Originally posted by d_tyler on 09 September 2005

Have a look on ebay or on the for sale section theres often a set of sale.

Your looking at about £450 I think for a set of wheels and tyres.

the 182s come with cruise control where as some 172s dont. Someone posted up a list of all the modifications a few weeks back.??????

Funny, my 172 had cruise comtrol!!!!

TDI tyre shreader

why would you want cruise on a 172? But then again you could use it as an excuse for speeding with the police!!

Id get a 172 i have one and its an awesome little car i would defo get one over a 182 they are cheaper and the wheels look better imo, the only thing you could miss out on is the cruise and limiter but do you really need those? esp with driving on mways these days

BMW E46 330i Touring

Quote: Originally posted by pmaths on 09 September 2005

the 182s come with cruise control where as some 172s dont. Someone posted up a list of all the modifications a few weeks back.??????

Funny, my 172 had cruise comtrol!!!!

Hence some 172s... ;)

Id say if your heart is set on a 182, then you may find yourself still wanting one even after youve bought a 172, even if the differences are few and fair between.

Mini Cooper S sport

Yeah I must admit, theyre not a lot different, but I LOVE my 182 and I feel its a more complete car than my 172 was. I love the colour, the twin exhausts and the anthracite wheels. I also think the handling is better.

Having said that, my black 172 was a great car, and if you got yourself a 172 with 182 wheels and a Cup spoiler, only a Clio enthusiast would spot the difference. (Lack of twin exhausts and different colour interior and seatbelts and headlight surrounds).

Its up to you whether you hold out for the 182, but I think you might have to wait another year for the price to drop to 8k for a full-fat one as you can still get them new atm.

I reckon Id get a 172, you can always swap it in a years time: I did!

RB182cup&golf gti

no disrespect at all to the 172s - love them - however if you WANT a 182 then my advice is get one/wait to get one - i went for for a compromise car when i bought my vts as really wanted a clio - regretted it and now got the clio - could you not get a small loan to make up the difference - the repayments would be far less than youre shelling out on repairs on your existing car.

both will drop loads when the new clio comes out - sorry its a fact.

d_tyler,
if 8k is your budget, maybe you could get someone to lend you a grand ?? (just an idea) as there are a few on here round the 9k mark, plus a couple on here were less than 9k !!
you will easily get a 53 reg 172 with low miles on for 8k though, then you could add the wheels to it (as they have said) if you wish. The wheels wouldn be hard to get hold of either as they come up for sale both on here & on ebay.

Get a CTR!!! That would be my preference and is my preference after part ex-ing my 172 a few weeks back. Apologies Acrebo "some 172s" temporary text blindness there!!!

Apologies in advance for the unhelpfulness of this posting.

Oh and if anyone comes across my beloved 172 "FH53 BCZ", probably up for resale in the Derby area, let me know. Its nice to have some idea where your previous pride and joy has ended up!!!!