ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I get a Mac?

White R26/Stripped Valver
Sorry but you slating me as a graphic designer, saying your better than me is out of order. Designing is one of the hardest things to do, the 'people' your referring to with the "apple c + V" are ordinary people who have got their hands on photoshop, that doesn't necessarily make them 'Graphic Designers'.

I doubt I have a quarter of the skills you do on quark or illustrator or in general with graphic design buddy, wind your neck in I'm having a play.

It's just a minority I'm refering to, the same way that someone one who once drew a picture or whatever calls themselves an 'illustrator' and it offends me. We are both artists and passionate about our stuff, dont let me being a tw*t wind you up. :)

The topic of macs vs pc can bring out an ugly side in people, which we have seen :rasp:. But yea you did wind me up pretty well lol, but who doesn't like a good b**ch. And Im sure your probably alot better than me at what you do. Im glad that has past us and out the system, truce...

A red missile
Yes, but only if you want to pay over the odds for something thats based on style over content. I've had to use them professionally for about 12 years now, and every revision of Mac OS is the same - just like the last one (with all its bugs and problems) only with more features added (hence more bugs).

On a small aside, designers? i've s**t em, they produce something that looks ok on an A4 piece of paper - I have to make that work on a press, be it dry offset, litho, flexo, gravure etc. My life is haunted by people chucking files around that have no idea about the end process.

And you can shove Quark/illustrator/Freehand/InDesign as well - Artpro FTW!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My bro just got an iMac thingy and he's trying to talk me into buying a mac book...He's off sking at the mo and is offering to pick me one up at Gatwick duty free, now I do really kinda need a new laptop...my dell bad boy is 5 years old now! However, I'm not sure about making the switch from Windows....I only really use my PC for the net- cliosport/facebook and pistonheads lol, Pictures (of cars) Word processing, excel etc will be needed...also what about pdf's and stuff online is that all gonna work fine? Isn't safari a bit crap??

Thanks

I think of your requirements above, the Mac would be spot on. And if your brother is happy to do the donkey-work and pick one up for you - why the hell not! :cool:

D.

Get a Mac Gary, once you've had mac you wont go back IMO. And if you dont go mac just make sure you dont buy a "PC" with a Bill Gates w**k OS on it, windows is s**t vista is just MS' poor attempt at copying the far superior apple OS.

Fiesta ST
Use a Mac (8-core beast - you can't spec a PC for the same money) in work for design and pre-press - Miles better than a windows based pc.

Use my girlfriends new Macbook for website and email checking at home - Best laptop I ever used.

Use my home gaming PC for games - PC is fantastic for running games and keeping upgrades cheap :)

Megane Mk4
This might answer it better ;)
[youtube]pBeuKagEiKk[/youtube]

Joking aside though, I've run both a Mac notebook and a pc laptop and I found the mac easier to use.

197-I love!!!
I've used Macs for 7 years and PC's on and off.For me Macs are the best.You very rarely get any virus problems,the operating system is brilliant and on the whole they are easy to use and the build quality is excellent.They may be a little more expensive but they're worth every penny.

2004 1.2 Dynamique
They are cool bird im seeing has one im tempted to get one those new airbooks look cool but no cd drive in them :(

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
i'm running a new hp laptop, and old imac [dome version] i like both mac and windows for different reasons.

very tempted atm with the mac book air.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
how many times has your windows based pc or laptop crashed or had compatability issues! How many times has us mac owners had those problems?

A red missile
how many times has your windows based pc or laptop crashed or had compatability issues! How many times has us mac owners had those problems?

Try doing something other than listening to MP3's or surfing for p**n and then see what happens.

I spent £1500 on a Macbook Pro, because it looked nice..
I then sold it for £600 (no seriously, I lost £900 in a year), and bought a Dell D420, again because it looks nice, but also much more functional for my needs :p

So, buy what you want, and what will suit you more.

Last edited:
It doesn't have compatability issues as it only allows certain specific hardware. Windows supports most hardware and is rediculously backwards compatible, hardly a fair comparison! If Windows were to specify what small amount of hardware it ran on then we wouldn't even be mentioning it. I'd hate to see Apple attempting to try and make their OS run on 95% of PC hardware and fully backwards compatable.

We have two emacs in work. They both only run Safari and Firefox for testing browser compatability. They crash constantly, it's rediculous. How can an OS which is only running two programmes max crash so much? My PCs, however, never crash despite me normally having 10+ apps running and me using it extensively for 8+ hours a day 5 days a week.

If PCs are crashing it's down to the user imo, I never have crashes and I never get viruses.