ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I go for a V6?

Clio v6 & Atom 300
IMO its a unique ownership proposition.

It is NOT that expensive to run as a daily driver compared to similarly rare mid engined RWD sports cars.

If your a badge snob steer clear, but otherwise if you can't afford a 911 then get one.

Yes the steering lock is pants, and there not much storage space but who buys a car for those things?:nono:

Mine cheers me up every day. I'm already smiling as I walk upto it to drive to work (as it looks so mad!:evil: ). And it only gets better when I slip into the Recaros. And then I turn the key and listen for the lovely bruble just behind me! Its special. :approve:

Peter:)

Yes the steering lock is pants, and there not much storage space but who buys a car for those things?:nono:
Lol, pretty hard to use them in carparks etc due to the turning circle :dapprove:

I get annoyed with the front end being so low, I seem to rub the splitter almost everywhere I go in it.

I still love it though :approve:

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Within a week of getting mine, I had to back out of a multi story car park, because I couldn't get up the ramp :p

Dan

Lol, d'oh.
What gets me is that I know that the car won't fit into where I want it to, so when I have to a 3000 point turn or a few extra manouvers etc, other motorists just look at me in sheer amazement, it's not my fault that the car doesn't turn !

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Within a week of getting mine, I had to back out of a multi story car park, because I couldn't get up the ramp :p

Dan

PMSL! So did i! I was getting absolute daggers from the other 5 cars behind me!

Mines not that low at the front, will clearly catch a kerb, but won't rub on bumps etc!? :S

Lionel Richie
lol i did the same through the local mcd's drive through, 4 cars behind were not impressed!

"why can't you just drive up the curb?"

LY V6 with Recaros
Reading all this is quite off putting!! I find the turning circle on my 182 bad enough! I still want one though!

Can they not get in any multi storey car park then? Craig, you live near me - can you not park on the upper levels in the Lakeside or Bluewater carparks??

* then Fred goes on to say where it now resides, as he couldn't get the thing out into the street again as it's got the turning circle of a bus.

*;)

2002 172 clio
Dont worry about turning circle, just put full lock on, load the revs and drop the clutch, then see it turn! :rasp:

Lionel Richie
they will if you give it a bit of handbrake turn action to get it started
_K3C7999.jpg

2002 172 clio
i used to flick my old 200sx round when i couldnt b arsed to 3 point turn. thought it would apply to the vee, but thinking about it, i can see why it wouldnt work.

there would be really hard to drift!!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R

Rare TICK
Faster TICK

Im not sure about the looks mind ;)

However, I Dont really get the V6 obssession either, I know people dont buy them for their speed/performance, But the problem is, they have so much presence and look so agressive, you expect them to be faster than they are, Not saying they are slow (they are not a slow car by any means, The 255 i went in shocked me, After reading forums etc etc, Iexpected it to be a little faster than a 182, But honestly, its much faster, Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. It sounded the b****cks, Everyone looks at you etc and you just get an awesome buzz being in it. BUT when you look at the thing, You expect it to be silly fast, But its just not as fast as it looks, Does that make sense?

I also wouldnt spend upto £20k (Lets be honest, if you are going to buy one, You are going to want a rare coloured 255 rather than a silver mk1) On a second hand out of warrenty clio that costs a grand for the cambelt (although you cant really factor in maintainance, A Clio V6 is a toy and these things come with the package) When you can go buy a brand spanking specd'd Up Megane 225 Cup R26 LSD F1 or whatever they are called by these days, For less.

Not as much of a toy as a V6, But imo a better buy.

And for the record, £17-20k to spend on 2nd hand car, Id either be a boring sheep of an estate agent in an E46 M3, Or a Hairdresser in poor mans Porsche Boxster.

The last 2 stereotypes are thrown in for fun, I dont class M3 Drivers as boring estate agents, AS they have probably got one of the greatest cars possible on their budget, And the Poor mans Porsche comment just makes me giggle everytime, Especially when it comes up ona Renault Forum.

I can see the appeal of the V6, They make you feel happy and like a big kid, Its the sort of car you drew in the back of your excercise book during maths at school, With mad wide arches and side pods etc, But its OTT looks, IMO are let down by its lack of speed. Again term used loosly, Im just saying it looks like it outperforms 911 turbos, when it doesnt, Not saying its slow.

But its a car you would have to buy with your heart, Not your head.

All in my opinion.

Clio v6 & Atom 300
Please don't be put off by something as minor as the turning circle. Its a proper sports car! A poor turning circle is VERY common on proper sports cars. When they are setting up the suspension its just not a priority! Would you rather have the bigger 18 inch wheels that look better and provide more grip, or the smaller standard wheels but with more lock? I know what i'd prefer!;)

IMO the lock is ok in most multistories.... just!:eek:

For me the low front is much more of an issue (as it actually risks damage). However thats also there for a reason. How many people on here lower their cars or add splitters? Well the Vee has a low front end as standard to improve handling and the keep the front end planted at speed. A definite concern in a mid engine car capable of over 150mph!:eek:

Its upto you but these things are not just random faults, they are specific design choices to make the Vee quicker.

Please don't be put off by something as minor as the turning circle. Its a proper sports car! A poor turning circle is VERY common on proper sports cars. When they are setting up the suspension its just not a priority! Would you rather have the bigger 18 inch wheels that look better and provide more grip, or the smaller standard wheels but with more lock? I know what i'd prefer!;)

IMO the lock is ok in most multistories.... just!:eek:

For me the low front is much more of an issue (as it actually risks damage). However thats also there for a reason. How many people on here lower their cars or add splitters? Well the Vee has a low front end as standard to improve handling and the keep the front end planted at speed. A definite concern in a mid engine car capable of over 150mph!:eek:

Its upto you but these things are not just random faults, they are specific design choices to make the Vee quicker.

Lolololol.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I think the Mk1 would donut better than the Mk2 - I'm not trying it with mine though heh.

Dan

Clio 182.
My mate over the road has a Liquid Yellow V6, its mint, its gorgeous and i love the way it goes and sounds. but honestly, if i had that kind of money to spend on a car, it wouldnt be a V6.... at the end of the day, its still a clio.

My mate over the road has a Liquid Yellow V6, its mint, its gorgeous and i love the way it goes and sounds. but honestly, if i had that kind of money to spend on a car, it wouldnt be a V6.... at the end of the day, its still a clio.

At the end of the day no they aren't, ok they still say clio on the boot, and the interior is just the same as a 172/182 buts that's really about it.

The thing with them is people either get them or they don't. When i'm asked what I drive & I say 'clio v6' those who know what one is always say, what that bonkers rwd thing. I'm like yeah, with a massive grin on my face :approve: I've yet to meet someone who asks why I bought one lol.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
V6 - Amazing, brilliant, perfection, fast, quick....Rattles, fuel station, more rattles, Fuelstation...

And i do agree, i would like about 50brake, but certainly not at this time of yr!!!