ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I? opinions please

Clio 200 Cup
I have a 172Cup with 63k on the clock, which I have owned for the last 3 years. Bog standard with no mods. This is a great car but...

Last weekend I test-drove a Clio RS200 Cup and bloody loved it.

So, the dilemma....

Do I keep the 172 Cup, which I own outright, buy some mental brake pads and do some track days.

Or,

Do I sell the 172 (got a buyer) and go for the RS200 Cup, which I won't use on track because I will be paying for it on the drip.

What should I do?

53 Clio's & counting
All depends on a lot of factors, can you afford it? Do you want to be loosing a lot of money on a nwer car? etc

Crappy work hire car
Depends mate, personally I'd have the 200 'cos I'm not into track days - have you done track days before? Did you enjoy it if you have?

Clio 200 Cup
Depends mate, personally I'd have the 200 'cos I'm not into track days - have you done track days before? Did you enjoy it if you have?

I've never done a track day but used to race karts, so I kinda miss the track time. I'd like to start doing some.

I can afford the payments on the 200 quite comfortably, I just dont know if if its wise to rope myself in. If I didnt already have the 172 Cup, or if I was paying cash, I'd definately have ordered a 200 already. The depreciation wouldnt bother me.

Iceberg 172
Get the 200... You only live once and it sounds like you can afford it.

As soon as I've paid my loan off (which has paid of my credit cards cos I was z c**k when I was younger!) I'll be getting a 200 probably. I've fallen for them tbh.

Lotus Exige, 182
A question - why can you not use the 200 on track if you finance it? you can get trackday insurance to cover damage to it, and otherwise how is the finance co going to know and why are they going to care? I ask as I am contemplating a similar change shortly, but would want to track the 200!

Clio 200 Cup
Thanks, that's fair enough, but presumably there's nothing (as a general rule) contained in finance agreements which would prohibit track use?

Theres nothing in the finance agreement, but you are on dodgy ground.

The problem comes if you have a crash. Trackday insurance is available but it comes with a big excess and is often expensive - it's sometimes only worth having if you write the car off - and I dont care how good the trackday insurance provider says their policy is.

There are people who have taken cars up the road after a trackday crash, parked the car against a tree, and claimed they crashed the car on the road. BUT, this is insurance fraud. It used to happen a lot with motorbikes which is why insurance companies started to deploy photographers to track days to take pictures of cars/bikes (and their numberplates) on track.
This is also why you sometimes see people covering up or removing their numberplates at trackdays.

So, its not illegal to take a car you've bought on the drip on a trackday. However you could end up paying off the finance for something that you cannot afford to repair.

Sorry to sound like a grandad!

In summary, the 172 Cup is staying and I intend to track the fook out of it.