ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I return the car back to stock sized wheels?

I bought a Phase 1 172 with 17s on it (205/40/17)
The steering is very heavy, I get some rubbing on full right lock, tramlining and as for pot holes I might as well smash my face into the pavement for all the comfort the wheels and tyre offer :eek:
I've driven Phase 2s with stock wheels on and although the steering was weighty it seemed a lot lighter than my car.

Admittedly the car is lowered 40mm so I would expect the ride to be harsher than stock.
But would I notice a big difference in replacing my wheels with stock sized wheels and tyres?
I get the impression that 17s may offer more grip but they screw the handling of the car.
Might having some cash coming in and my car needs two new front tyres as well I thought now would be the time to buy new wheels with tyres if I'm going to do it.

Thank you.
I pretty much expected that but I've always kept standard sized wheels on my previous cars so never experienced the deterioration in ride quality before.