ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should i run a secound battery

Just been looking at the price of wire for the power lead to my amp and its a tenner a meter. Just wondering whether its a better idea to have a secound battery in the boot. The money i would save on wire would be enough for a battery.

Ill be running a 300 watt x 2 @ 4 ohms (whatever that means) amp, sub, neons, playstation converted to 12v, electric aerial, and posibble a few other thins off it if i do have one.

Is it worth doing? will i gian any advantages such as getting a better spark at the engine due to less drian on the one battery?

I know how to wire in a split charge system so that not a problem. Also means i wont get interferance from a massive power cable next to the speaker wires.

Also is there any special type of battery i should get?

Many thanks

Mark

Polo + Micra

yeah but youve still got to run the charging cable to the second batt (at a guess it would have to be 10mm2 at least)

yeah you would ideally need a deep cycle batt(but probably get away with a biggish diesel batt)

The wire that comes normally on the split chrage relays ive seen is only a few mm thick. Says to just run that to the + terminal and then connect the - to the car.

Has anybody else set up a split charge system for ICE installs? Does the charging wire have to be thick? Ive only ever set them up for caravans etc.

How much am i looking at for a deep cycle battery?

Mark

Polo + Micra

well i dont know what the charging current is when charging from an alternator.

i think a deep cycle batt can range anywhere between £100-£200

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

£170 for an optima yellow top battery

the split charge system is a good idea... but you really should be running a low gauge cable