ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I trust my Renault Servce Dept?

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Ok heres my problem:

Last wkend I took my 182 down to my local renault for an oil/oil filter change. My cars just done 5K and wanted to put some new fully synthetic oil in her after having just been run in. (Before you start saying why not do it yourself - I was particularly busy and lazy last wkend!)

My problem is that I supplied Renault with my own oil (Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic) which wasnt cheap - but a damn site cheaper than Renault would charge. However when I lifted my bonnet the other day I found they had left an oil container cap under my bonnet (tw*ts!) This is not my biggest concern though, as the cap was black - yet all caps on the Mobil 1 oil i supplied them are gold???

Should I be concerned that Renault did not put the oil in I gave them, and if so what actions should I take? Unfortunately it didnt hit me at the time that the oil cap was not right - so have thrown it away - therefore what proof do i have!?

cock mobile.
Go and have a moan!!

It certainly sounds as if they may have taken the decent oil for themselves and filled you up with some other crap!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Daz i knew someone would ask that, but i just felt that after running in etc i should probly change the oil, also drive my car quite hard at times so regular oil changes are probly neccessary

The Jinx
Never trust any dealership. I'd put money on it that they've had that oil away for themselves and put the cheapo stuff in.

GRAND PRIX CLIO
Telling you now m8 they took ur good oil and gave you crap!!!got a m8 that works at a dealer garage and you wouldnt belive the things that go on !

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Cheers for the advice guys - I thought as much anyway but now im def gonna go kick some ass down at Renault!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
One problem i can foresee though, is that there going to turn around and say that of course they put the right oil in, we are a Renault dealer blah blah blah...

And seeing as I have no proof what can i do about it???

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
I always change my oil every 6000mls.

I know ppl will say modern oil & modern engines and all that, but working in service dept's for i long time i have seen what old oil does when left in an engine for a long time.

Dave

GRAND PRIX CLIO
there's not much u can do just tell them what u think and at least then they know that you know!!.Next time u give a bottle of oil ask to have the bottle back this way you know what they use !

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Stupid Question Alert:

Is there any way of telling what oil is in my engine - ie. fully synthetic or cheap renault crap???

I think i already know the answer to this but here goes!

One with a few more
I dont trust dealerships. Mine lied to me and trading standards on several occasions and were verbally insulting just so they could try to get out of trouble with small claims over Items I bought which werent correct and they wouldnt return

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
recaro182 said:
Stupid Question Alert:

Is there any way of telling what oil is in my engine - ie. fully synthetic or cheap renault crap???

I think i already know the answer to this but here goes!

i have always noticed that synthetic oil has a sweeter smell to it than normal oil

I stay at the dealers when the service mine and go talk to the mechanic, this way you can talk about any probs with the car and check he`s doing it right.
I had my oil changed at 1500 miles then every 8K miles after that, first off to get rid of all the metal deposits from running the engine in and secondly to ensure it`s got good oil init, can`t do the engine any harm, if it were an Evo (just for comparason)then it`d have had oil changed at 1st 1000miles then every 4500miles.

Dirty E91
I took my car in as I thought the tracking was bit off after the missus had a coming together with a kerb! Anyway, picked the car up and the car was pulling to the right quite severly when the steering wheel was held straight! This is after being told that the tracking had been out and had been sorted!!

So booked it in again! Was told by the service desk that it was out and had been fixed, which thankfully it has but my faith has been dented.
Talk about making work for yourself!

Megane Mk4
martynh said:
the car was pulling to the right quite severly when the steering wheel was held straight! This is after being told that the tracking had been out and had been sorted!!
This seems to be a comman fault with clios... I've NEVER kerb'ed my 182 but the steering wheels out already, mind you... My 172 and My RSi had the same problem, an off-centre steering wheel..

One with a few more
After having had my original wheel off and seeing the placement without the column part with the 'teeth' - I have already concluded the wheel is way off centre. If the teeth are off centre - then the wheel will be. And thats definitely the problem in my case

Dirty E91
l!ckeldev!l_2k1 said:
This seems to be a comman fault with clios... I've NEVER kerb'ed my 182 but the steering wheels out already, mind you... My 172 and My RSi had the same problem, an off-centre steering wheel..

Thing was there wasn't anything with the steering wheel positon when it went in, only after the dealer had it! Sorted now though.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Only a small point MOBIL 1 size is 4l????
If my memory is correct!!!!!!!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
g40steve said:
Only a small point MOBIL 1 size is 4l????
If my memory is correct!!!!!!!

Steve - i gave them a 4l container and a 1l container - should be enough right?

cheers for the advice guys will be going down there either today or tomoro to have a moan!

You should ask for the empty bottles back. I know that they might decant it but that is more trouble for them. I provide the oil for my cars & always get the emptys back, usually with a little left for top ups as well :thumb:

re checking the oil. The only way is a lab test, it can be done but would cost a bit I recon. If they have put the wrong oil in & stolen yours you could then try & claim for the costs + sue them for it but how far you get is anybodies guess!!

was 172 Cup now 197
Hi Everyone, I recently bought a 172 cup and the "Serv" light and Airbag light came on this morning when I started it up. I called renault this morning and they have advised me that I need to bring it in to be looked at for a small charge of £85!! I rang my usual garage which is Lucas Autotech who are very good, but they can't deal with it as they don't have the correct diagnostic kit. After reading all the other posts I am extremely reluctant to take it in at all, let alone for some mechanic to hook it up to a computer and then tell me there's a faulty wire/connection and by the sounds of it create a few problems in the process. The car is conveniently 2 weeks outside of its warranty!! Does anyone have any suggestions, or experience of this??

I would try to avoid renault if you can-most cars i hear about seem to come out with more faults than they went in with. Ask Lucas (or a garage you trust) to recommend someone local. Thats what i did and got someone very professional, knowledgable and helpful.

The airbag light is normally extinguished by fiddling with the loose wires under the drivers seat!

Good luck! :)

was 172 Cup now 197
Cheers mate, i'll give Lucas another try. Hopefully I can find someone who can save me a lot of time, hassle and money!! Apart from this minor problem the car is great, v.fast. Does anyone know any good garages in the Manchester area??

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
You should never trust a renault dealer. I got stung taking my car in for a service, was over charged and a catlogue of problems with their work. In one minor service this happened:
- charged me for an air filter despite me having an ITG panel filter, which thankfully they didnt replace but still charged.
- put in wrong oil, gave me cheapskate 15w-40 semi.
- This takes the biscuit though, I purposely left my petrol tank with maybe 1 litre of fuel left to stop them joyriding it. They go and pour in 2 bottles of forte engine cleaner. On my way home the car was pinking and stuttering from running on virtually neat forte. Luckily I dont think the engine is damaged and was ok once i filled up.

I went to the manager at the dealer who kept me waiting in his office for over an hour before giving me refunds for oil , filters and forte. But i did get my own back, I feel like a ten year old saying this, but I disconnected his router fromfrom the wallsocket, I pulled it out 2-3 mm so that it still looks like its in its place but doesnt get a connection. I hope it took them days to get that figured out. b******s..

was 172 Cup now 197
Thats crazy, I cant believe they can get away with it. I've read quite a lot about them taking peoples cars out and ragging them, you were wise to do what you did. I find it hard to comprehend that they wouldn't check how much petrol was in your tank before putting forte in!! I think i'll be giving them a wide birth, just need to find another garage that can help. Will any other garages have the diagnostic computers to read the renault ECU?

Serv light coming on is common fault. it's just wiring under the seat that needs tightening. I got mine done under warranty, they knew about the fault. You can do it yourself by getting under the seat and disconnect/reconnect the white plug/socket thing