ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I use high octae fuel

Clio Dynamic S 2.0VVT
I use BP Ultimate Unleaded mainly because of the cleaning properties.

The picture is of the inlet valves of my GSXR 600 bike after 4000 miles only on BP Ultimate Unleaded - they are much cleaner than on other bikes run for a similar mileage.

Sorry about the c++p picture

Attachments

• GSXR valves 4000 miles.jpg
    GSXR valves 4000 miles.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 48
  Black Gold 182
since the recent price hikes ive switched from Bt ultimate to BP standard.
the standard unleaded seems to do more to the gallon, although its prob just the fact that I get alot more petrol for the money!

vers le haut doigt milieu
If you wanna blow a spark plug out the top our ur engine then fill up with 95 and drive from Germany back and you'll then understand why they make 98 octane!

Trophy 182
I use V power as thats all ive used for the past few year on my previous evo's and thought Id carry on in the clio. Cant do any harm (Only to my wallet)

It's all to do with compression ratio and 'knocking' isn't it? IIRC the compression ratio on an RS Clio is 11:1 (please correct me if I'm wrong) and this results in a recommendation of 98RON but can run ok on 95RON without any real damage (unless you're driving hard in the power band all the time, where the detrimental effects are at their highest). You certainly won't be getting the engine running at it's best on 95RON as the ECU will alter it's settings to compensate for any 'knocking' it detects which would be caused by the lower RON fuel.

Somebody once told me the engine in the 172s was set up at 11:1 so that Renault could sell the car outside the european market where higher octane fuels are often not as available.

I'm no expert tho that's just some info I picked up when researching before buying my car!!

White clique
i have started to use 95 in mine now, i have noticed a few flat spots around the rev range, but its only town driving anyway so no big deal.

Sainsburys Super ftw - Better mpg smooth idle.

Tescos 99ron. Good when moving but it seems to idle rough. I dont like using it much due to some hippy telling me the ethanol element in the fuel comes from areas of cleared rainforest.

Poverty spec 95 only when I'm on the red light and no fuel for miles.

Somebody once told me the engine in the 172s was set up at 11:1 so that Renault could sell the car outside the european market where higher octane fuels are often not as available.

True enough fella. All new cars have to run on 95 by law.

Last edited:
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Mine definately runs better on higher octane, especially on cold tickover. I normally use Vpower but think the car feels better with Tesco 99 but that could just be my imagination. The car should be ran on 98 so I think a little over rather than under suggested octane would be more beneficial.