ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should my new waterpump be sounding like this?!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
It sounds worse in real life, but you can hear it in the video between 30 and 50 seconds. My old one used to wine a bit upon first start, but this one has a very harsh, metallic like sound, like a bearing breaking up? Got to drive it up to London on the weekend and a bit worried now... :/

I will take another video later when everything has gone cold again as i started the car twice last time to get the video camera.

@Dan@SJM

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Tried taking another video a short while ago but things were still warm so it didn't do it. I will take one tomorrow when everything properly cold again. Wouldn't PAS pump be constant and not become better like this does? Or doe that also fit the bill?

Could it also be the alternator?

if its got to come back to you @Dan@SJM for a PAS pump replacement, will I also need another new aux belt (kit)? Do you think the pressure of the new aux belt kit has caused the pump to fail? Or coincidence? thanks.

Last edited:
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
@Dan@SJM - your ears were spot on! Just checked the fluid level for the power steering any its empty! eek!! Did you notice any leaks whilst playing?

FF Titanium 182
Ok thanks Dan. I will top it up and see how fast it goes down again. hopefully no permanent damage to pas pump (power steering was still working so guess it must of has some in there lower down)!
Where do you check the PAS fluid levels? My car sounds exactly the same want to check this before getting a nee PAS pump!

FF Titanium 182
to the right of the coolant in a yellowish brown tank - odd shape.

I have filled mine just level with the top of the prongs as I expect it will go down again soon!
Cheers! If it is low can you recommend a good fluid to use?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
@The Fatty On one of my old 182's the pas fluid leaked a little and had to top up every few months. It was a small leak on the pressure sensor which is located on a pipe to the left of the oil filter. Have a look to see if looks like a leak around that area. The sensor was pretty cheap and was replaced easily.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
@The Fatty On one of my old 182's the pas fluid leaked a little and had to top up every few months. It was a small leak on the pressure sensor which is located on a pipe to the left of the oil filter. Have a look to see if looks like a leak around that area. The sensor was pretty cheap and was replaced easily.
thanks optical, I will have a look when i get the change. I hope its something small like this :up:

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
no worries, incase it is the sensor these are the prices off adam at wolverhampton renault:
d2 £6 per litre
power steering sensor £21