ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Simon Norris.... FAIL.

M2 / Golf GTI
not really giving himself the best rep. Nice cars tho fair play for getting back in it!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
mental note, if simon norris is on a trackday with you stay behind him, check...

Clio 1.2 16v
I've been at Combe every time that he has binned it, to be fair people love to hate him just because he's successful. Other drivers bin it too, but no-one makes a fuss.

All drivers make mistakes, Simon has been unlucky to have a few crashes close together due to human error and mechanical failure, but 4-5 incidents in 9 years is pretty respectable. He's a gent and always apologises/does whatever he can within reason to help the situation.

Most regular Combers will agree that the AWD cars are becoming 'too fast' for the circuit, especially when regularly passing backmarkers and battling for position, so incidents are bound to happen!

If you want an idiot to laugh at, try Mark Harrison of Owens Developments!

[youtube]7mQLrta9RZQ[/youtube]

I actually recieved cuts and bruises from this crash, as I was standing near the armco (marshaling). Crash is at 1:35, Harrison rams Ballard out of the way :nono:

LANGUAGE WARNING: NAUGHTY WORDS AT THE END OF THE VIDEO (2:16 I think?)

Last edited:
Most regular Combers will agree that the AWD cars are becoming 'too fast' for the circuit, especially when regularly passing backmarkers and battling for position, so incidents are bound to happen!

The speed differential in the Saloons is smaller than many other championships (including the CC Special GTs) so I don't honestly think speed is the issue, there are a couple of Class A drivers that rarely put a foot wrong. The front running Class B cars aren't exactly slow either.

ValverInBits
The girl who's 106 gti he takes out in that video got very little in the way of compensation from norris.

About 2/3 the value of her car iirc. I'd be pissed off.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've been at Combe every time that he has binned it, to be fair people love to hate him just because he's successful. Other drivers bin it too, but no-one makes a fuss.

Successful in what?? He's a property developer that employs people to build fast cars!!

There will be a lot of pissed off people if he races again next year. It won't be long until he seriously injures someone.

Clio 1.2 16v
The speed differential in the Saloons is smaller than many other championships (including the CC Special GTs) so I don't honestly think speed is the issue, there are a couple of Class A drivers that rarely put a foot wrong. The front running Class B cars aren't exactly slow either.

The differential may be smaller, but with the type of drivers Class A seems to attract (very determined, rarely backing off even when passing traffic in dodgy situations) the speed becomes an important factor to consider.

Both experienced marshals and circuit staff agree with this. I agree with you that there are Class A drivers that very rarely make mistakes, and these drivers are the ones that keep within their limits. Norris and the other front-runners (often drivers who can 'afford' to write off a car) are pushing their limits to the maximum and this is when mistakes happen.

320d
He was well out of order, the pug was well out of his way doing as she should have been off the racing line allowing faster drivers to pass. He caused what could have been a serious accident.

Clio 1.2 16v
The girl who's 106 gti he takes out in that video got very little in the way of compensation from norris.

About 2/3 the value of her car iirc. I'd be pissed off.

Successful in what?? He's a property developer that employs people to build fast cars!!

There will be a lot of pissed off people if he races again next year. It won't be long until he seriously injures someone.

In reply to Mark: IMO he should of paid the full value of the car, but at least he did pay over half of it. I've seen plenty of cases when the driver at fault has coffed up pennies in comparison.

In reply to Daniel: Successful in life... he has nice cars, the money to race nice cars, etc. Some people hate the fact that he's 'made it' in life and use his mistakes as a chance to get at him :rolleyes:.

TBH this is a hate thread, being posted long after the crashes/discussions have ended and conclusions have been reached. Seems you just want to start it all off again.

I'd be annoyed if anyone got injured due to a mistake on his part, but at the end of the day this is racing. You take part at your own risk, and expect that injuries/incidents will happen.

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
in racing whether its your fault or not you don't cough up a penny, most teams have insurance that covers the car (well the first £10k or so IIRC)

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't hate him, how can i hate him i've never met him!!

I was just searching for Evo videos on YT and his name kept cropping up with the words 'crash' or 'spin' next to it.

Lionel Richie
TBH most would struggle RACING a car with that power! you should see me in the Murcilagos at work, i can't keep the f*****s in a straight line and thats with the traction control ON! i think i hold the record for the most spins in one of those! LOL

bad luck and OK yeah some actions are poor to say the last, but that green evo takes some handling i can vouch for that personally, had a passenger ride with him and its foo-king crazy!!!........+ i was damp at castle combe..............wet+boost dont match!!:D

53 Clio's & counting
iv seen him at combe, and iv seen plenty of vids, taking nothing away from him as its gotta be hard to drive something that fast but surely driving it one handed is a no no?!

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Hes a nob

he got someone else to build the bogey shell and called it his own work then got jun to build his engine and again called it his own

Hes a danger to others on the track and drives well beyond his capabilities

Turbos.
He shouldn't pay for anyone elses damage, i'm afraid 'thats racing' and everyone is aware of that.

He is a prime example of all the gear, no idea though! He should get in a simpler car and learn some car control. Having said that i would call no Evo a hard car to drive.

Clio 1.2 16v
He shouldn't pay for anyone elses damage, i'm afraid 'thats racing' and everyone is aware of that.

He is a prime example of all the gear, no idea though! He should get in a simpler car and learn some car control. Having said that i would call no Evo a hard car to drive.

It's paddock courtesy to help repair/pay for damage that was 100% your fault.

He is in no way 'All the gear, no idea'. Anyone who can drive a car that fast has plenty of idea of what they're doing. If you think driving an Evo with that kind of power as fast as he does isn't hard, why not have a go yourself? I doubt you could do it.

You may think to yourself 'oh, it's AWD, must be a breeze' but we all know it isn't.

Glanza
Simon Norris, doesn't claim to be the best driver in the world. He's more of a gentlemen racer, got the money to do it so he does it for fun. Maybe he can't handle the car, or maybe he just runs out of talent in the race situation either way. Incidents like this happen for one reason or another.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Duck, I think you are just a bit defensive because you work/marshall there or whatever.

It would also appear that you have never watched Norris race.

Braking mid corner?? Changing gear mid corner? Braking under steering correction?? All of these things would not be possible if A) the car was at the limit or B) you were a capable and competent driver.

He is pap. End.

Elise/VX220/R26
I think given the cars are there to promote the business he should really be hiring a driver as he is clearly a total liability on the track.

astra coupe on coilovers
thats orange evo that he hit didnt it only get rebuilt the week before ? in my opion why drive a car with that much power if you cant handle it on track ?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Duck, I think you are just a bit defensive because you work/marshall there or whatever.

It would also appear that you have never watched Norris race.

Braking mid corner?? Changing gear mid corner? Braking under steering correction?? All of these things would not be possible if A) the car was at the limit or B) you were a capable and competent driver.

He is pap. End.

+1

His driving is shockingly bad at times...and that combined with the bad luck don't do him any favours whatsoever.

a burnt one
Why couldnt he wait untill he was on the straight before passing the pug?

Ive never done a track day and dont understand why he didnt, the pug left plenty room at the corner yet he still managed to wipe it out.

If i was to do a track day and seen him there id be seriously worried.

Yeah accidents happen but what seperates a good driver from a normal driver in a fast car is the ability to learn from them.