ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 front wiper mechanism failed a second time

Renault Clio RS 182
Shortly before I bought the car, the owner had replaced the front wiper mechanism - he gave me the one he removed in a box. The replacement one now appears to have failed today [in the pouring rain :(]. I haven't taken it apart yet, so don't know what's gone wrong but it would seem the driver's side is not connected to the motor etc... only the passenger side. A few questions :

o Could this just be extraordinary bad luck or is there something to watch out for elsewhere with fitting etc... ?

o Is the 182 mechanism different from a normal Clio 2 ? Do all Clios wipe the screen 'as an LHD car' so to speak ?

Thanks in advance.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
The only thing I've ever had fail is the small circlips holding the splined drive part up, they are identical on all mk2 uk clios iirc

Renault Clio RS 182
Thanks for getting back to me... hope it's something simple like that.

You mean the entire assembly is identical on all UK Mk2 Clios ? They all have the left hand drive wipe i.e, clear the passenger side more than the driver's side ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mine failed about 18 months ago also on the driver's side, not good when it just started pissing down on the motorway lol.
The mechanism is a ball and socket , it had completely worn through the socket. I got a 2nd hand one off eBay and has been ok since ( touch wood ).
There's no way to repair it.

There are usually a few people breaking cars on here, have a look.

Renault Clio RS 182
Thanks for this Billy, really helpful. I'll have put a shout out to see if anyone's breaking a 182... there are a few standard Mk2 Clio ones on eBay which is why I was wondering if they were the same as the 182.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks for this Billy, really helpful. I'll have put a shout out to see if anyone's breaking a 182... there are a few standard Mk2 Clio ones on eBay which is why I was wondering if they were the same as the 182.
I think , I'm not 100% sure though that there are different mechanisms.
I remember when I bought mine off eBay some mention of the colour of the plug and it being black.
The part number you need if you go down the eBay route is 82 002 58 328.

There are a couple of people on here breaking 182's at moment.

Renault Clio RS 182
Thanks so much Billy... that's the same part number on the assembly that was given to me with the car. Are there links to the the people breaking 182s here ?

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I had issues with my wiper mechanism - wipers flying off on the motorway etc, the solution was due to the fitment...

When fitting, the wiper mech needs to be located onto a pin on the firewall for the wipers to work properly. This can be seen if you look up beneath the scuttle with the mechanism removed. It can be fitted without the pin located and the wipers will work for a while, however the whole mech will be slightly twisted which can cause the ball joints to separate.

Hope this helps!

Renault Clio RS 182
That's a really interesting piece of information... I'm going to take the mechanism out tomorrow and check to see. It does feel like something's snapped or come off though because the driver side feels like it isn't connected to anything [I can move it around with my hand] while the passenger side feels like it's connected to the motor [I can't move it with my hand].

MrCube182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
One of the ball joints in the linkage will have popped out most likely, usually you can pop them back together with pliers and add some grease whilst doing so. Most important to check the fitment of the mech otherwise the issue will reoccur (y)

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah and sometimes the joints wear so they go all floppy too so just have a wiggle on them and check for too much play mate

You can usually tell if they have play as one part of the mech will have metal on metal scrape marks where the paint has been removed lol