ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Simple idea for silent + loud exhaust combined

FF-Cupped 182 '05
Been thinking how nice it would be to have a silent exhaust for city and motorway driving and a loud one for a backroad blast. It gave me the following idea for the 182:

exhaust.JPG

I'm not mechanicly minded so i would like to know from the people who are, if this idea is feasible??and if so, somebody must have thought about this before..(?)

Clio 197
Im not massively technical either but i think it would mean one back box would create a different pressure which would probably create problems when switching between the two or using both at the same time.

An idea that my mate had on his integra was a spoon exhaust which had a removable baffle which you literally stuck in the back box and then used a simple screw to make sure it didnt come out, it made quite a bit of difference but as said when it was in it did restrict the air flow more.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I think that quite a few new cars have this kind of thing as standard, or something similar?

Some kind of valve that opens up as the revs build. Can also get systems where a valve opens to bypass the cat at higher revs, think Astons or Jags had this recently.

Or I'm dreaming it all, but could have sworn something like this had been done.

The system that most car manufacturors opt for, relys on a valve opening at a set RPM its normally done electrically, but the gas then bypasses the silencer straight out hence lots of noise.

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
Yeh afew of the expensive sports cars have something like that, bit of a waste on a clio though lol.

Aston Martin use them as do Lamborghini.

When my mate with his Monaro VXR was enquiring at Vauxhall on the different system, they actually offer this type of system, although I remember the price being around £1500 lol.

Ph 1 172
i think the new jag or aston martin has this sort of like a butter fly valve the harder you put the throttle down more the valve opens making more noise but if you drive slowly stays quite

FF-Cupped 182 '05

At first I thought it was one of those crude exhaust control valve things, which block your gasses almost completely, but it's actually quite an impressive and affordable system.

So, if some carmanufacturers/aftermarket company's use this kind of system, why do company's like Janspeed, K-tec, BTB, Yozza, etc. don't develop something like this? There must be quite a big market for it..