ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Single Point v Multipoint Injection

Ok, whats the difference apart from one having more injectors than the other? I would imagine multipoint is quicker, but is it? And is it possible to multipoint a singlepoint engine?

Paul

Nissan R35 GT-R

The difference is that with multipoint, a correct amount of air/fuel is mixed for each cylinder. With single point, one lot is mixed, and then distributed to each of the cylinders.

The problem with singlepoint is that it retains some of the shortcomings of the carb. For example, the car tends to run slightly richer than a multipoint car as the cylinder furthest away from the injector will get the least amount of fuel, so in order to not underfuel this cylinder, the rest tend to run slightly rich.

This is all just info I have read from various places - correct any of it if its wrong.

Mk2 172

I know it is possible to change SPI rover K-series engines to MPI with a few of the MPI components (& ECU). Takes the 1.4 from 75bhp to 104bhp.

I dont know about the 1.4 clio energy engine though. Sorry.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

The MPI in mk1 Clio actually had less bhp then the SPI, but it did have more torque and was quicker to 60 then the SPI. The MPI engine in the RT was put in on late phase 2 and phase 3 mk1 Clios as far as Im aware. 99% on mk1 phase 1 1.4 were SPI, cept a few early carb models.

Dont see the point in changing engine bits to make it MPI from SPI, just buy a MPI engine from a scrapper for £50 and whack in if you really must have a MPI 1.4!! Get the S gearbox an all, shorter ratios, quicker again to 60!

Was just wondering thats all. I am after making it a bit more happy with future mods. Not that there is really point. GTT engine will be sitting in there in a about a year. Yum Yum.

Paul

Sorry just to butt in, there were no mk1 1.4 multipoint injection clios, they are all single point injection.

I have one of the latest mk 1s (1998 1.4S) and it is the same engine as the earlier RTs as far as I can tell.

Although as mentioned it is supposed to be down 5bhp on the earlier engine but half second quicker to 60.

Golf GTTDI 130PD

Hey Mr P, as you know I have a P reg single point as well and I do believe you are spot on there.

yeah it was the carbd energies that were about 5bhp quicker than the SPI version. zedx - dont you have to change the ECU for an MPI as the mapping would, i imagine, be diff? correct me if im wrong!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Quote: Originally posted by Ben P on 26 August 2003

Sorry just to butt in, there were no mk1 1.4 multipoint injection clios, they are all single point injection.

I have one of the latest mk 1s (1998 1.4S) and it is the same engine as the earlier RTs as far as I can tell.

Although as mentioned it is supposed to be down 5bhp on the earlier engine but half second quicker to 60.
Yes there was!! Yours is more then likely MPI, some late phase 2 were MPI as well. Yours also has the short ratio gearbox an all, now knowing Renault they could have used to SPI on the S and just switched the MPI on phase 3 RTs. Who knows with Renault!!! Who knows why the hell they decided to make that sh*tty mk1 Night and Day Clio with a 1.1 Carb engine out a R5 innit. Why oh why!!!!

Whats the engine bay laid out like in yours then Ben P? Where abouts is the air filter located?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Quote: Originally posted by steve_rt on 27 August 2003

yeah it was the carbd energies that were about 5bhp quicker than the SPI version. zedx - dont you have to change the ECU for an MPI as the mapping would, i imagine, be diff? correct me if im wrong!
God knows, would have thought so though, gonna be different fueling for a start innit.

Zed I am not trying to start an arguement but there were not any 1.4 MPi mark one clios ever made (in this country at least.)

How do I know mine is SPi? Because I can see that there is only 1 injector.

Air filter is mounted on top of engine as with all 1.4 Energy units.

Yes my car has close ratio box but it still only spi.

Tell me (or show me) one mk1 clio with a 1.4 MPi engine.

Zed I am not trying to start an arguement but there were not any 1.4 MPi mark one clios ever made (in this country at least.)

How do I know mine is SPi? Because I can see that there is only 1 injector.

Air filter is mounted on top of engine as with all 1.4 Energy units.

Yes my car has close ratio box but it still only spi.

Tell me (or show me) one mk1 clio with a 1.4 MPi engine.

Ha! Just to clarify, my post isnt meant to sound arsey or anything. (Just re-read it and it sounds a bit patronising :oops: )

what the fcuck is going on with this thread?

Is auto double post enabled or something?

Regards,

a very drunk Ben P

(You see even if you are pissed, if you take 20 mins to make 1 post you can prevent any typos!)

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

LMAO, talk about spam, anyway, lemme find some proof for you!

Grrrrr, why is it half the sites at work are blocked! Anyway, heres summit

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/performance/performance.aspx?model_id=238http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/performance/performance.aspx?model_id=238

Pre 96, 80bhp, post 96, 75bhp, doesnt actually say MPI/SPI on there but the MPI engine did have 5bhp less but more torque. (I can see another arugment starting now asking why the same car with less power is 1 second quicker to 60!) As I said though, strange Renault stuff might not have put the MPI engine into the S, i dunno why but you know Renault, lets put 2 different types of calipers on the same car, same year, same model just to annoy people, lets make a 1.8 Auto thats really slow, lets make a lighter version of the 172 then decide to add the weight back into it as a opition and destroy the exclusivity by whacking another colour in for a laugh. Lets make a limited edition Williams of 500, then decide to really piss off all the people that bought that by making the Williams 2 and 3. (Rant over)

Now if ya want arsey, you dickhead, listen to me now boy, there were mk1 MPI 1.4 Clios and I still dont believe the c**k and bull about a DOHC 1.2 16v.