ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave's 328i Sport Project

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Well, with job uncertainty around the corner, in January I tentatively put the cup up for sale. It sold within a few days at a decent price to the 1st chap who contacted me. 10 months & 25k after I bought it … at which point I was carless & had to borrow my bros 1.1 106 …

If you're interested, the Cup project thread is here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=372380

And now, onto the current stead. As it happens, jon_r had just bought a lovely red 328i Sport (his journal is here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=384056) and as he brought it along to one of our rolling road days, that got me thinking; sport’s were now considerably cheaper than the £8k i paid in 2004 … Then by pure chance, whilst browsing www.northloop.co.uk I found a 328i Sport that seemed like a bit of a bargain. The pics were awful & in all honesty, it looked like a bit of a shed, but I arranged to go and see it anyway, it was a massive amount cheaper than everything on PH/Autotrader at the time as well …. I turned up to be faced with this:

DSCN1254.jpg

It looked alright tbh, 3 of the wheels were knackered (despite being refurbed 12 months previously) as the lacquer had lifted and water had seaped behind, but it was solid car underneath. The paperwork confirmed a full BMW history, with Munich Legends & the chap that sponsors the technical section of Northloop looking after it for the past 4 years. The chap who was selling it was a pilot, as was the previous owner (his mate), so it had been well looked after over its 125k miles; 90k of which were in the 1st 4 years, with pootling about ever since. My girlfriend proclaimed that it was a shed, but I was blinded by the Avus Blue paintwork, surprisingly high level of spec and, potential …

After some bartering, a deal was done involving 12 months MOT & some cash … so a week later my girlfriend and I went to pick up the beast.
DSC00018.jpg

Car: 328i Sport in Avus Blue, R reg with March ’98 build date, 125k & Alusil block.
Purchase Date: 14th February 2009 - my Valentines present to myself.
Specification: Full black leather inc. doorcards, leather armrest, full climate control, 18 button OBC, electric sunroof, anti-dazzle mirror & heated washers/mirrors.

Was a lovely drive home, I think at 26 I now appreciate the Sport more than I did at 21, effortless mile munching ability & a decent turn of speed when needed. In all seriousness, I probably have a bit more driving ability now as well, so the transition to RWD doesn’t faze me as much, after the Z3M I kinda got used to sideways lol. So, a week went by, I gave it a basic clean:

DSC00030.jpg

Then the rejuvenation started. Firstly with some lovely ebay front indicators, not the last word in fitting, & tbh swopping everything over was a pain, but they improved the front end no end.

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

Next I purchased some new mats from Rossiters to replace the ‘slightly worn’ originals. After being quoted £95 from BMW for new mats I wasn’t expecting much, but the fit & quality is excellent, even coming with new fixing points – much recommended.

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

I also took some time to fit my trusty Pioneer headunit (8 years old!) & ipod connector, Parrot handsfree & Pogo Alert speed camera detector; needless to say, it now looks like the starship enterprise at night lol.

DSC00430.jpg

Now it was getting somewhere, so definitely time to freshen up the leather. After ‘borrowing’ the Liquid Leather cleaner & condition that Sarah bought for her TT, I got to work. As you can see, theres a pretty marked improvement in colour between the before & after shots, although with black leather the difference is obviously not as marked as when used with silver! The feel of the leather is also far better, but that’s quite difficult to show in a photo, so you’ll just have to trust me lol. In all honesty, I thought I was going to have to use the scuffmaster as well tbh, and whilst it might improve it a bit more, im quite lazy …

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00249-1.jpg

The final fix for the interior was the rear boot netting, kindly pilfered from the clio before it was sold, I now have a decent way of stopping all that junk flying around the boot:

DSC00431.jpg

Now the interior was up to an acceptable standard, it was time to move onto the outside. As per usual, ebay came to the rescue & a brand new BBS RC041 (CHECK) appeared complete with an unused Michelin Pilot Sport tyre. When no one else bidded on it I was a rather happy bunny tbh. Unfortunately the tyre was 10 years old, so had to go in the bin, but hey, you cant have everything.

DSC00172.jpg

As luck would have it, after a quick look in the boot, my own spare wheel was also brand new & unused. Bonus. 2 x new Continentals later & I had 3 perfect BBS wheels on the car & a knackered one in the boot as a spare. So now I just need to sort out the other wider rear that’s a little worse for wear – actually it’s the worst ive ever seen one of these wheels – so it’ll be off to BJV Engineering at some point in the near future for a refurb back to original spec. I might add trying to find a new RC042 on ebay is nigh on impossible, the RC041 is easy as they are provided as spares in the boot… The offending wheel is below, truly naff:

DSC00043.jpg

So with most of the little bits sorted on the car & rather a lot of time on my hands – I was made redundant the day before I picked it up – I decided I should go home to Cornwall (near Lands End to be exact) and spend some time with my family. As it happens it was the hottest week of the year so far, so I spent a lazy 4 days out in the sun giving it its first proper clean. Im no detailer, so it consisted of a good pressure wash off, then bucket & sponge (I’ve now purchased a Chemical guys cleaning kit inc. Sheepskin mitt so don’t worry!), followed by Megs Clay/Quick Detailer and 2 coats of Autoglym SRP. Everything was then sealed with Autoglym EGP. Tyres & plastic was then done with Turtle Wax tyre dressing … pikey, but its all I had lol.

To be honest, I think its turned out alright, Avus is such a great colour, changing from light blue to dark blue to purple depending on the angle of the sun. Needless to say, im pretty happy with my ‘shed’ so far.

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00255.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00367.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

My question is & after winning another bargain on ebay, do I fit the avus spoiler or not? My last Sport had one & I originally wanted to get one on it asap, but now its placed on there (perfect colour match I might add), im not so sure … so its currently unfitted and left in my bedroom back in Cornwall.

NoSpoiler.jpg

Spolier.jpg

Unfortunately, whilst I was in Cornwall the windscreen decided to provide itself with an 8” crack overnight, although that was sorted by National Windscreens for my £50 excess, so it wasn’t the end of the world. It also gave me an excuse to buy some funky new flat wiper blades.

So whats next?

Firstly a service, after 3k miles in the past month, the inspection light has appeared, so I’ve bought 8 litres of Motul 8100 X-Cess & an oil filter from Opie Oils, along with the necessary fuel filters & other service items – thanks to e36coupe.com for the service schedule print off! After that, well the rear BBS needs refurbing & I want an M3 Evo lip spoiler to finish off the front. Then its just BOGE springs & ill be happy. Eibachs would be nice, but the drop they give seems to be pure pot luck & they’re extra monies. Everyone fitted the BOGE ones when I first joined in 2004, so they must do something right. I’ve also got some Phoenix Gold Components that I bought for the clio (but never fitted) and some Philips 6x9s that I found in my cupboard in Cornwall, so just need to get some 6x9 adapters now I suppose; ebay no doubt lol. Oh and the parcel shelfs purple, no doubt some satin black paint will sort that though …

After that, well there’s always the BBTB, Manifold, remap & Dave F. That would give me 225bhp or so, but I think that extra £700 would be better off put in the M3 fund to be honest. The 328 engine is never going to give the fireworks that truly excite, its too smooth for its own good & tbh my old Z3M had an engine to die for.

Sorry about the long read, but hey, thought I had better do it properly. It’ll be updated as & when required. Thanks for reading. Dave :D

Last edited by a moderator:
  Turbos.
You've done a great job! Look forward to seeing it with a refurbed wheel and splitter.

I think it looks good without the spoiler, but if you fit the splitter then it needs it to balance it out!

Excellent work.

172, Tiguan
Nice one! Looks nice without the spoiler I think.

Off to the Ring with mine in 2 weeks. Will give it a bit of a run!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I used to HATE these when they were "cool". Now i'm starting to have an attraction.

Without a doubt, dont fit the spoiler. It'll do exactly that imo, spoil it..lol

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
lovely.... wouldnt opt for the spoiler personally.. think it looks fresh and clean without.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
mint mate where about are you from? bjv engineering did my refurb back in the summer would deffinetly recommend them

before:

DSCN0735.jpg

DSCN0745.jpg

after:

P120508_183602.jpg

P120508_183504.jpg

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Looking good matey, nice right up, Diamonds in the ruff are ace when there turned back to the glory days, Keep it up, You need more angles of the spoiler, i'm still 50/50 on it :S

James

M2 Competition
As said, sweet mate :)

Give me a bell when you're next this end or will pop down to you to see it.

I need a go!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Love it! :D Sooo miss my M3.

When you say satin black the parcel shelf, there is a dye that you can buy as the satin black rattle can stuff marks very easily when/if something brushes against it.

If your stuck I can send you some.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Well the spoiler decision has been made, someone bought it off me last night ... the money will come in useful for things that im positive about, ie the wheel refurb (that BJV work looks good!) and some lowering based goodness :approve:

Love it! :D Sooo miss my M3.

When you say satin black the parcel shelf, there is a dye that you can buy as the satin black rattle can stuff marks very easily when/if something brushes against it.

If your stuck I can send you some.

I neeeeeeeeeed an M3 now though lol :( What's the name of the dye then Daniel, would be better to get hold of some of that then i suppose! Dont want it scuffing straight away tbh ...

Black Gold Trophy
always liked these cars, bullet proof engines too from what I've heard from mates in the trade. I would fit the spoiler mate, makes it look more like a sport

M2 Competition
Ha cant believe you sold the spoiler!

Impatience has got the better of me and im going on an adventure today, update you soonest ;)

330i. E30 Touring.
Looks awesome! I'll keep an eye out for you about!

My wheels are in at BJV at the minute. I'll send you a pic once they're done if you want to see some more of their work!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Been a while, but time for a little update now I suppose!!

Serviced the car about 3 months ago now, did the oil & filter, pollen filter, usual checks, etc, then reset it back to 5 green lights via the ‘paperclick’ method, although I’ve done 6k miles since then so im down to 2 already.

After that, the rumbling started, doh! Turned out the front drivers side bearing had gone, no play in it, just noise, so bought a new one from ECP, along with new ATE discs front & rear, some Jurid pads for the front, Textar for the rear & 6 x OE NGK spark plugs. Was expecting it to cost a lot more if im honest, but at £225 it wasn’t bad – especially seeing as it it cost £180 for the just the rear discs on a 172 Cup!! Lots of things to play with:
DSC00541.jpg

Fitted the spark plugs & front brakes a couple of weeks ago, then realised I didn’t have a bearing puller half-way through and so had to get MCP in West Byfleet to sort it out for me. Ended up taking them 2 ½ hours as it was pretty jammed, although they only charged me for an 1 ½ labour and I got to drool over a track spec estoril M3 Evo for a bit, so it wasn’t all bad! Still need to do the rear discs & pads, but that’s planned for this weekend – means I don’t have to go shopping with the girlfriend lol.

Next up, a little parcel arrived from ebay:
DSC00505.jpg

The standard e36 mod it would seem, but I like them, not too sure on having it on the front though if im entirely honest; makes it stick out a little too far for my liking.

Then, about a week later a medium sized parcel appeared, containing:
DSC00501.jpg

Once fitted, its safe to say the noise is really rather nice, or ‘spine-tingling’ as Pep put it. Only problem is, it really highlights the brick wall that the 328 hits at 5k rpm, there really is no point going up there apart from the wail lol. I nearly ended up with a BBTB & manifold a few days later as it irritated me so much, but it just wasn’t meant to be unfortunately. Maybe next time ay!!

Apologies for the state of my engine bay by the way, it’s on the list of things to do:
DSC00503.jpg

Another week and another (huge) parcel arrive from Cotswold BMW:
DSC00531.jpg

Before (also showing the new surround):
DSC00532.jpg

After:
DSC00537.jpg

Very pleased!! Finishes the front off nicely I think, a couple of my friends think I should fit the M3 mesh, but im not so sure, think I prefer the ‘improved upon’ standard look. I can have the mesh when I buy an M3 anyway …

After fitting that on the Saturday, I popped over to Reading to see Peps new 328i Sport. He also went from a 172 Cup to 328i Sport, so we have the same pain/fun. It’s a beautiful car, you really can’t go wrong with red I don’t think:
DSC00540.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

And then, finally, in June, after 3 months of looking, I managed to get hold of an RC042 off ebay (no surprise there tbh), it needed a refurb, but that’s not the end of the world! What is a slight bind however, is that it didn’t have any bolts….

Well, now we’re in July and the final update (maybe) is upon us. Other than new window seals (on order), the car is now back to perfect OEM imho. I’ve even fitted my Philips 6x9’s on the rear shelf (with the adapters) and got my Phoenix components wired up in the front – sounds much better!!

And so, last week I picked up my freshly refurbed wheel from BJV Engineering and it’s absolutely stunning!! Mind you, at just under £185 for the wheel, new nuts/bolts, refurb & tyre fitting, it blooming well should be lol. Strangely, they now bolt the wheel together, then lacquer over the top, so hopefully it might last a little longer than normal … So, along with my most recent ebay purchase, an Mtec steering wheel, I’ve had a good, albeit slightly expensive couple of weeks.

Steering wheel makes a surprisingly big difference to how it drives, whilst looking far better than the bus steering wheel – it does need re-colouring & a good clean mind you!

DSC01527.jpg

All in all, im supremely happy at how the cars turned out, really, really happy in fact, so here are some pictures I took this evening, along with a reminder of what a ‘shed’ it was when I first bought it. Hope you enjoy looking at it as much as i do :D :cool:

DSCN1254.jpg

To:
DSC01502.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

DSC01489.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

DSC01508.jpg

DSC01476.jpg

DSC01510.jpg

DSC01515.jpg

DSC01481.jpg

DSC01498.jpg

DSC01482.jpg

DSC01484.jpg

So there we have it, my pretty much finished sport, coilovers/manifold/bbtb are not happening anymore – I’ve decided to buy an M3 in need of a little love over the winter instead. That and the fact that whilst the 328i can ably keep up with all the Staines lots Clio Sport’s on our ‘little drives’, I really need MPower to stop them swarming all over me … ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Love it.

Cotswold BMW ay? Thats where I buy most of my stock.

M2 Competition
Looks great mate! I have a few little bits to be sorting on mine, but thinking of selling before its done if anyone wants one...

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
i like it defo better without the spoiler aswell ive got a soft spot for them what they like running wise? and pace wise compared to a 172?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
i like it defo better without the spoiler aswell ive got a soft spot for them what they like running wise? and pace wise compared to a 172?

Thanks, i love it to :) Running costs wise, its the cheapest car ive ever run, doesnt depreciate for starters!!! Then parts are peanuts from ECP/GSF. I average 35mpg, but i do spend a lot of time on the motorway, seen 40mpg on some runs lol. Speed wise, its quicker than a 172/182, little slower of the mark due to weight, but once rolling, it will reel them in/pull away ... it was tested lots on the last Staines run ;)

Nice turn around on it. Do you reckon you'll get the M3 soon ? Or is that idea on hold because of the vts ?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Nice turn around on it. Do you reckon you'll get the M3 soon ? Or is that idea on hold because of the vts ?

Probably on hold until i earn my millions tbh, i looked into the 'on-track' running costs of one & scared myself a little :eek: hence the sh1tter instead, much less money to fix when it breaks/needs new tyres ....