ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky versus Virgin

A4 Avant
My contract has expired with Sky, currently on the full package except Movies, costs £59 per month inc. line rental. I want to try and reduce my outgoings a bit as I'm fed up of paying £60 a month when I only really watch the footy and use the internet. I'm thinking of downgrading to 4 mixes, losing the HD but sticking with skysports which works out at £47.50 per month inc. line rental.

Virgin are offering XL video, L broadband and M phone for £23.50 for 3 months followed by £35 for 9 months. If I went for this I'd have Setanta rather than skysports. I can also get £50 cashback from Virgin and £48 cashback from wepromiseto.

Has anyone any experience of switching over? Is Virgin as good? Any problems?

Two other related items are:

I have just been given a new HD box with 12 month warranty from sky, I'm now out of contract, so can I cancel the contract and legally sell the box? Whats the going rate for them?

My main dilema going to Virgin is how much football they'll have on setanta for the 09/10 season, does anyone know this?

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
Yes the Sky HD box belongs to you so you can do with is as you like. Football on Setanta is going to be very poor next season as they have lost the package they currently have. How much will Virgin charge for you to have Sky Sports added?

A4 Avant
I think it's about £15. The lack of football on setanta is whats worrying me, I've been googling the 09/10 footy rights but I'm struggling to make out what sky or setanta actually have.

I can't make my mind up if it's worth nearly halving my monthly bill but having a lack of footy.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Hmmm Could you not switch to virgin, get the lowest package for homephone, internet and tv then get a dodgey box ?

They do HD dodgey box's now aswell so you can have everything you have on sky.

and there not illegal ?

A4 Avant
I'm going to speak to them this afternoon as my house has never had cable before. They are offering £50 for ordering online though.

My brother has one of the new V+ box's, whilst I prefer the sky EPG, the new virgin one is getting better.

Can you use 3rd eyes with Virgin?

Octy VRS
They are pretty good and the broadband is pretty quick. Plus they've just upgraded my bog standard 2MB up to 10MB for free!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Hmmm Could you not switch to virgin, get the lowest package for homephone, internet and tv then get a dodgey box ?

They do HD dodgey box's now aswell so you can have everything you have on sky.

and there not illegal ?

That would be great if Virgin had any HD channels other than BBC HD. So no, you wouldn't have all that you did with Sky. And you are better off paying for it anyway.

And they are illegal.

Clio
Biggest mistake of my life moving to Virgin, I've had nothing but problems with them for the last 3 months. Bills anywhere between £6-£41, then when I phone up to correct them, they deny the offer they give me exists. Well over 3 hours in phone calls.

A4 Avant
Not interested in dodgey boxes really.

That doesn't sound good Mace. I hate having to chase things like that! My brother went 2 months without internet, which also worries me.

A4 Avant
Thats also good to know. lol.

It'll save me about £200 a year switching, but can I live with less footy?

Clio
Not interested in dodgey boxes really.

That doesn't sound good Mace. I hate having to chase things like that! My brother went 2 months without internet, which also worries me.

Was shocking customer service, worst I've ever had and I'm with 3 mobile so that means it must be bad.

The departments don't speak to each other, they even took all my details to get a manager to call be back, when he never I rang again and they said 'He must have lied, We don't do call backs'. Constantly being passed from department to department having to tell the same story over and over again.

Don't even get me started on the landline they gave me, thats a whole different story.

Broadband is fine though:cool:

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
I switched to virgin from sky because I had nothing but hassle. Never had any problems with virgin. Broadband is excellent and the on demand tv is a big advantage over sky.

A4 Avant
Ah man, I really don't know what to do. I'd really miss remote record from sky, but like the sound of virgin on demand.

I suppose if I really hate virgin, I can swap back in 12 months.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
put 30 day notice period in with sky and take virgin. You get a 28 day right to cancel so as long as they overlap you can try virgin for a month and then cancel and go straight back to sky with no loss of service if you aren't happy.

Virgin broadband is far superior to sky, the phone is the same as about anywhere else and the TV doesn't have as many channels, but if all you watch is sports then the XL package (and maybe add sky sports when next season starts) will be more than enough for your needs.

Remember, the v+ box upscales standard channels unlike the sky HD box which only upscales the HD channels

Scirocco GT 2.0
just wondering how its far superior?

i pay £10/month for 16mb, no downtime at all.

Do you actually get the ful 16meg though?

Virgin if superiour because it is cable not DSL.

We've been with C&W/Telewest/VM for nearly 14 years and never had any problems really except one dodgey box.

We have a special deal: All channels, V+ Box, Another box upstairs, Unlimited phone + Mobile & International addons, 20MB Broadband all for £65

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
^ You don't get 20mb all the time though. Once you hit your daily download limit, your speed is capped.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
I work for virgin and if I didn't get all the channels for free (Sports + movies) I would probably have Sky (although I don't watch football as its a puffs game). I don't think you can knock the broadband though and I don't know many people who are happy with their ADSL connection, through sky/BT or anyone else.

Last edited:
  Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Id go with Virgin. I dont deal with the bill side, but my parents have the XL package. I am an avid online gamer, and at least four of us can use the Net whilst im gaming and I still get great performance. We never get downtime, and the support team are great. The TV package is great, and the on-demand is very good, use it most days to catch up on missed programs, plus we can record over 50hours of TV, so its great for films. I would get Virgin+ maybe just add Sky Sports, dunno how much it would cost mind you. But from my experience, Virgin are very good.