ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slicks

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels
With rumours of slicks putting a lot more stress on the car than 'normal' tyres, how much of that is true???

Itching to get some slicks but unsure with all this extra stress the car would take!!

Turbos.
The amount of grip you can generate could cause oil and petrol surge.

To be honest i don't see the point. As with any modification, i would urge people to invest in themselves rather than make up for their incompetence with modifications.

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels
To be honest i don't see the point. As with any modification, i would urge people to invest in themselves rather than make up for their incompetence with modifications.

Could u elaborate on this please???

Turbos.
Well, modifying your car will make it quicker, but it doesn't make you quicker as a driver. It just masks the mistakes you will make.

So i'd get a race instructor instead!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
my mate went to the pod at the weekend in his nova 2.0 1st time with the slicks on, so much grip he riped both CV joints out on the line

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels
Well, modifying your car will make it quicker, but it doesn't make you quicker as a driver. It just masks the mistakes you will make.

So i'd get a race instructor instead!

Ermmm...Ok..:S

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels
my mate went to the pod at the weekend in his nova 2.0 1st time with the slicks on, so much grip he riped both CV joints out on the line

Yeah but it doesn't help that he's trying to stick say 150+ ponies all down at once.

I'd be doing Track Days anyway.

www.renparts.co.uk
Ive been thinking the same thing. Cliobuyer.. what sort of answer is that? slicks give you a positive advantage on the track.... Doesn't show a drivers incompitence... whatever your skill level the level of grip will be higher on slicks on a dry track surface?

Turbos.
Ive been thinking the same thing. Cliobuyer.. what sort of answer is that? slicks give you a positive advantage on the track.... Doesn't show a drivers incompitence... whatever your skill level the level of grip will be higher on slicks on a dry track surface?

I'm saying it's a waste of money.

So you're saying more grip means you're having a better time? I'm saying having less grip will mean more fun at a slower speed. You learn more about your car and your abilities.

Otherwise i don't know what you're chatting about.

535d / t5 caravelle

So you're saying more grip means you're having a better time? I'm saying having less grip will mean more fun at a slower speed. You learn more about your car and your abilities.

how is it a waste of money if it makes you lap quicker?

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274

i'm with Cliobuyer. Pound for pound your miles better off spending money on tuition from a race instructor than any mods at all. It'll make more difference than any mod you'd care to throw at it and it'll last a lot longer than the car will.

When you've had the instruction you'll know what i'm talking about. Saved me 3 sconds a lap. You tell me what mod can do that? I wasn't a slouch before either!

535d / t5 caravelle
well, an instructor is obviously going to be beneficial, but so are slicks, which was what was being asked originally!

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels
:S ....Ermmm...I think u guys (cliobuyer/cue) are taking this a little out of perspective, I go out with an Insturctor at every track day I attend, and I agree that it's well worth it, unbelievable how much difference it makes going out with an Instructor but I think your missing the point.

I've done quite a few track days in the last 12+ months on normal tyres and think I've learn't quite a lot about the car and my abilities (not everything) and I'm a lot more confident about my abilities in the car BUT even so every circuit is different and your always learning, even if u go back to the same circuit time and time again, there is always something new to learn.

Now I would like to give slicks a try and see how the car (and me) perform with a different set up, no harm in trying something new???

Nobody mentioned about instruction, as above I'll be the first to agree that instruction is the way forward but there is also no harm in trying something new no matter what it be.

Turbos.
But Bill you said it makes you quicker. My point is why would you want to be quicker? Who are you racing, your shadow?

I know people get a kick out of beating Porsches in their souped up Clios but at the end of day it's just a trackday.

Turbos.
Nobody mentioned about instruction, as above I'll be the first to agree that instruction is the way forward but there is also no harm in trying something new no matter what it be.

Was only trying to give advice though...i always presume people are at square one, that's all.

If you haven't uprated the brakes then you should. Then think about suspension and an oil cooler. Slicks don't give any other benefit other than giving you a quicker lap time...

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
well, an instructor is obviously going to be beneficial, but so are slicks, which was what was being asked originally!

so's driving a 911 GT3, the point is if you're after more speed on track an instructor is the first point of call. It's like with golf, tennis etc. No point in spending money on decent kit until you know what to do with it.

Slicks can hurt the car yes, but probably wont have any noticable effect on the internals until it's too late. It's more a case of the grip levels can cause the fluids of the engine to hurt by not being there when the engine needs them - g-force causes oil surges etc. So you need bolt on things to make sure it's got what it needs when it needs it. like an upgraded fuel pump.

Then there's the shocks and brakes that take a bit more hammering, transmission wear will double also.

Ph1
But Bill you said it makes you quicker. My point is why would you want to be quicker? Who are you racing, your shadow?

I know people get a kick out of beating Porsches in their souped up Clios but at the end of day it's just a trackday.

Ive never read so much shite in my life

535d / t5 caravelle

why would you want to be quicker..................... erm now let me think,( i would imagine 99.9999999999 % of people on this forum want and aim for there car to be quicker ) except for your good self apparently ;) to me a track day is all about being competitive and "RACING/COMPETING" against other cars, surely? to see how your car compares to other hot hatches etc.

i'm not saying an instructor is a bad idea, i'm sure its an awesome idea, but that wasn't really the topic

2005 Nissan Navara
Where does an oil cooler come into it??

His oil temps maybe spot-on as they are...why cool them??

As for slicks...yes they generate more grip....they will allow u to push the car further. best thing to do mate is try them...if something breaks..fix it! if u dont like them change them.

Maybe try and get bur hands on some semi worn ones to try out first? get a feel for them? also cheaper. and they maybe wont be as savage as fresh ones, so a bit gentler on the old girl.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
I was once told by a certain Williams enthusiast that the Williams has a baffled sump, which means the risks of oil starvation from the increased g-forces created running slicks should be reduced :)

Rob talks a lot of sense though, people do sometimes worry too much about going faster on trackdays, and sometimes forget to actually relax and just have fun. Not what your topic was about though I agree.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
As for slicks...yes they generate more grip....they will allow u to push the car further. best thing to do mate is try them...if something breaks..fix it! if u dont like them change them.

Maybe try and get bur hands on some semi worn ones to try out first? get a feel for them? also cheaper. and they maybe wont be as savage as fresh ones, so a bit gentler on the old girl.

if your going to do it, yes good advice. I'd still say if your trying to get more speed, know what your doing first.

Slicks take some of the fun out of track days. I'm talking from experience not theory. You can't have as much fun with them and when you hit the limit your gone before you know it, you don't get the same warnings as with road tyres. More dangerous to fit slicks than stay on road tyres, make sure you get track insurance.

Clio f7r Trackcar
LMAO

Sounds like a lot of people dont have a clue.

Get some worn slicks gaz, go out and have fun with them. Its not like a totally different driving experience, just learn how they react and you'll be fine.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Slicks require more skill, they wont mask a poor driver.

Driver training is benificial and overlooked but fail to see the relevance in this thread :~

2005 Nissan Navara
With rumours of slicks putting a lot more stress on the car than 'normal' tyres, how much of that is true???

Itching to get some slicks but unsure with all this extra stress the car would take!!

Lads...THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^was the question.

The question wasnt "should i try slicks?", or "are slicks any better for handling?".

He has come to the conclusion HIMSELF that he wants to try slick tyres....

HE WANTS TO TRY THEM!!!

Posting comments about driver ability and training is irrelavent...maybe to one of my example questions above, but not this one!

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels
I so won't to put a constructive reply but I just can't be bothered...lol

Thanks for your advice people whether it helped me or not...;)

CTR--VX220D
Fact....

Slicks or very sticky rubber such as Yoko A048's will put huge stresses on the suspension joints and hub. If fitted you should check your joints, but more importantly upgrade them.

My VX's hub carrier bolts were shagged and needed replacing [no thread left on them]

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL at this - here's your answer Gaz...

I've done most of my trackdays on semi slick soft compound track tyres. Lots of hard trackdays, and 71k miles in total over three years.

I'm still on the original front wheel bearings.

All this crap about slicks wearing out the car...it's the driver that does that by not being smooth with them. Popping out driveshafts on start lines LMAO - try feeding in the clutch more smooooooothly.

Having said that I did call a Goodwood day early as I was getting fuel surge round Lavant (useless Tesco 99).

Lionel Richie
never had a problem on any of our clios (apart from me cooking them by doing a 30min flat out stint at donnington and nearly killing myself through paddock!)

we can get scrubbed slicks no bother Gaz, ring his Lordship

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
never had a problem on any of our clios (apart from me cooking them by doing a 30min flat out stint at donnington and nearly killing myself through paddock!)

we can get scrubbed slicks no bother Gaz, ring his Lordship

ballpark cost?