ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

slip differential on 172

Hello,

Just reading a post about a Focus RS and its limited slip diff and then just after read a post about the clio cup racer and that having a LSD to. Is there a LSD available for the clio 172 and if so how much (yes ive used the forum search and couldnt find anything)

How much of a difference would an LSD make to a 172. WOuld it make it more twitchy on un-even surfaces, but better around corners? Would it be worth it?

Cheers in advance.

Max

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

i think quaif etc will make 1 for u, there is also a company called gripper that make some... around 700-1000 i think but will need ya gear box out etc and also a new shorter driveshaft but not 100% sure....

The focus uses an ATB diff, not a traditional limited slip.

THe cliocup racers have a totally different gearbox permitting them to use readily available LSDs.

There isnt a 172 LSD available as such, but some might fit.

Any ideas on the pros and cons Ben? Have you just got up or are you about to go to bed dude? Im just coming to the end of a night shift, an hour to go.

an lsd jus sends the power to both wheels, even if one is slipping. Unlike when youve only got one wheels spinning, like when you see nova boys trying to do a burn out. Would mean you would get more traction if one of your wheels started to slip because all the power wouldnt just go to that wheel.

I personally dont see the need for an LSD in such lowe powered cars on teh road.

it does help with holding a line though.

But LSDs are noisy, wear, you need the right friction modifiers in the box which might work against the actual gearsets and synchros.......and if you have extreem camber it can make the cars twitchy.

O, and i was just going to bed....but some buggers got me up making loads of noise nxt door.

Cheers for all the info guys, was not planning on doing it to my cup, just interested to see what it would do, if anything. I suppose it you went for a turbo conversion on a 172 it would be a much more viable idea. As BenR says, the 172 is not super high powered.