ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slow CUP!!

well not really, shes been locked away for bout 3 weeks in the garage waitin for money for insurance renewal!! doh! anyway thought id take her for a spin as its not really gr8 to leave it unloved for such a time.
She felt sluggish at first, i reckond it was prob as the optimax had lost its octane rating as it had been left for so long, so she was prob runnin norm unleaded, so i decided to run this out! (typical btw, when you dont want the petrol it stays for ages!!!) anyway i managed a mad 0-60 run from a rolling 0mph (on the clock readin) whilst tryin to run the petrol out which i was impressed by and the car started to feel betta, but i still wanted to empty the tank to refill with fresh optimax. filled it up and when i drove her again last nite, she felt really sluggish! sounds real good, but doesnt really feel like its goin as usual! just loads of noise and no go.......maybe its just me, cos my mate says its doesnt really feel any diff. hmmmmmmm
Views anyone!??!!

H22A7 Accord Type R

i find that if i drive my car nice n easy, pottering about 2-3000 rpm, when i put the foot down after a while, it feels sliggish. With it being sitting for so long, it probably needs a good run. take it a jaunt up the motorway, get it nicely settled in again, then once ur finished on the motorway, 2ng gear it of the rounabout at the end of the slip road, and it should feel better! works for me as i leave mine sitting quite a lot in this weather...cheers, Rob

Yeah i thought that, but believe me she went for a spin, bout 5-6 miles, a bit of a road, whippin to !00, but felt like 3rd and 4th took ages to get there! :(

H22A7 Accord Type R

no.................30-40miles constant motorway works for me........ if it feels sluggish, take my 1.2 and ill take ur cup for a bit n let u know ;) lol

Id say the 6 miles you did werent enough, you need to take it on the motorway for around 20 minutes so the oils all ok.

Always fe3els quicker on a B road - closer to the hedges - visual perception - on the motorway its harder to judge aceleration, but if you look at the speedo - that shoul;d tell you!

change oil and filter put helix ultra in or something similar then fill with optimax and put one bottle of STP power booster in and give it some.......

Clio v6

When I take my car out. I feels a bit strangled for a fair few miles. Its always before it gets loosened up I get someone egging me on to race them. Mine is at its best after a good run, but not after a very long run ( if that makes any sense? )

I left the car on the drive for a whole week while the garage was being used by builders. When I got around to starting it up, it sounded like a lawnmower :confused:

Mine is very similar I take mine on the motorway a lot now, but like you say after about 10 mins of pottering at 2 - 3000 rpm it pulls nicely.,......

I only put in normal elf / total fuel, does this optimax stuff make a real difference?

S2000

Abbs, you serious?

Optimax is rated at 98 RON the stuff your putting in is only 95 RON. The 172s ECU is optimised for 98 RON, hence it should feel/go faster on Optimax.

Danny,

I know exactly what you are saying, occasionally my car is very slucggish before 4KRPM, it only comes alive after that. On a good day(thats most days I may add), it has great pickup from 2KRPM, Ive never figured out why it does this and Ive had the car for a year now!

Shell actually claim that there Optimax is higher than a 98RON rating!!!

not that its very interesting, but not a lot of people know that!!

Optimax is 98.6 ron, and is based on 95ron (normal unleaded) with chemicals added to increase octane rating.

Super Unleaded 97ron, is specifically refine to be 97ron

I use Super unleaded in the scoob, not optimax

S2000

Jonto there was a post on Scoobynet in which one of the guys had written to Shell and got a reply back saying basically the exact oppisote of what youve just said!?

I use optimax of just standard Super UL. I seem to get better running on standard UL, it always feels sluggish on the Shell stuff, though I do tend to get better MPG...

That said I normally get 35 - 36 MPG anyway, not bad for a Cup, it only dropped to below 30 on the track.

Twit

Quote: Originally posted by teady172 on 20 February 2003

Jonto there was a post on Scoobynet in which one of the guys had written to Shell and got a reply back saying basically the exact oppisote of what youve just said!?
Yeah i have read that thread, but at this moment in time, i cant remeber who posted it. In reality Shell and not goin to come back and admit that there product is inferior, but the jury is still out on optimax. There have been numerous threads about it. Some people say there cars fly with the stuff in, others reckon there car stutters, hesitates etc. Mine is the later. I have tried optimax over the past six months, from 4 or 5 different garages all with similar effects. Thats my experience of opitmax anyway.

About 4 months ago my car was rolling road at john nobles. Bearing in mind my car is an MY00 with 215bhp as standard, my car made 210bhp and 211lb/ft on optimax, thats with a scoobysport decat downpipe, decat centre pipe and magnex bax box. With these mods i should have been looking at about 240bhp. Anyway, its getting rolling road at john nobles a week on saturday (if i still have the car, as its for sale, if anyone is interested) It is now been run on superunleaded, for a while so the ecu has had time to adjust. Will post the results when i get them !

Maybe my AE802 ecu just doesnt like the stuff !

Cheers

Jonathan