ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SLR Opinion

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Not much love for samsung around then. I've only experienced their phone cameras, which are shite.

Admittedly I know feck all about the Samsung DSLR 's but there's probably a good reason, you could get a semi-pro Canon body for that money!!

Wouldnt touch that if you paid me. Personally I use Olympus and am very happy with it, most people on here will tell you Nikon and Canon, any of the large old camera manufacturs will be good though

Cupra
It is the size of the sensors in an SLR that make the quality of the picture as much as anything.

3 MP Camera phone = Tiny sensor
3 MP Point and shoot = Small sensor
4MP Canon 1D SLR = Heeeuge sensor... that can take better quality pics than most point and shoots, regardless of their Megapixels.

Megapixels dont count for much with SLRs as you can get large, good quality prints from a 6 megapixel body without breaking a sweat.

I have owned the Olympus E300 and the E1, both very good DSLR and very good value 2nd hand on E-bay.

You won't go far wrong with the Canon 400D, I ran an early 350D when it was released.

Good advice on the MP nonsense, don't get drawn into the amount of pixels, it's the size of the sensor that counts.

Its the QUALITY of the sensor that makes all the difference, doesnt matter how big or small, how many pixiels or not, if its 5 high quality megapixel on a small sensor (eg Olympus E1) then it will blow a higher megapixel larger sensor sized camera out the water.

What matters in photography is not JUST the camera body, you also need to be concerend with quality of glass, and you arent gonna get good quality glass for anything other than Olympus, Nikon and Canon.

I have owned the Olympus E300 and the E1, both very good DSLR and very good value 2nd hand on E-bay.

You won't go far wrong with the Canon 400D, I ran an early 350D when it was released.

Good advice on the MP nonsense, don't get drawn into the amount of pixels, it's the size of the sensor that counts.

Ex-oly user should know better

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
anyone who buys a d40 when they could get the 400d from canon outlet for the same price needs their heads checking. It is an awesome piece of kit for the money and easy to use and im a complete n00b

cant wait to use mine properly over easter

anyone who buys a d40 when they could get the 400d from canon outlet for the same price needs their heads checking. It is an awesome piece of kit for the money and easy to use and im a complete n00b

as a complete noob do you really think you are fit to comment on which is the better piece of equipment?

as a complete noob do you really think you are fit to comment on which is the better piece of equipment?

No but as a fast & wide prime user who likes auto focus I'm going to back him up :clown:

Cupra
Its the QUALITY of the sensor that makes all the difference

Agreed of course. Most consumers think along the lines of megapixels being the be all and end all of cameras. They overlook other factors like size and quality believing that the higher the MP count, the better the camera.

There are plenty of other factors to take into consideration, glass, type of sensor and quality all combined.

dpreview.com said:
123di_comp_3m.gif

This diagram shows the typical sensor sizes compared to 35mm film. The sensor sizes of digital SLRs are typically 40% to 100% of the surface of 35mm film. Digital compact cameras have substantially smaller sensors offering a similar number of pixels. As a consequence, the pixels are much smaller, which is a key reason for the image quality difference, especially in terms of noise and dynamic range.

Sensor Type Designation

Sensors are often referred to with a "type" designation using imperial fractions such as 1/1.8" or 2/3" which are larger than the actual sensor diameters. The type designation harks back to a set of standard sizes given to TV camera tubes in the 50's. These sizes were typically 1/2", 2/3" etc. The size designation does not define the diagonal of the sensor area but rather the outer diameter of the long glass envelope of the tube. Engineers soon discovered that for various reasons the usable area of this imaging plane was approximately two thirds of the designated size. This designation has clearly stuck (although it should have been thrown out long ago). There appears to be no specific mathematical relationship between the diameter of the imaging circle and the sensor size, although it is always roughly two thirds.

ccdsizes.gif

Source: http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensor sizes

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

lol, I would go as far as to say that out of the box, with the kit lens, the D40 will produce better images.

If you don't beleive me, we can compare your first pics with mine when you post them up.

lol, I would go as far as to say that out of the box, with the kit lens, the D40 will produce better images.

If you don't beleive me, we can compare your first pics with mine when you post them up.

+1!!!

The 400D may have some fancy extras but it will not produce any better pics than the D40 (when using same spec lenses). Many prefer the D40 for its grip, ease of use and the quality of the kit lens. I'm not saying the D40 is better, its just a case of what people prefer. There is probably a 50/50 split between the D40 & 400d on here, just do a search. As mentioned... best bet... go to jessops and try both. Its the best bit of advice you will ever get.

Just because a camera looks pretty in a picture, it may not suit the way you want to hold it. They all look similar, but the weight and grip sizes differ and make a difference.

As for the megapixel argument.... lol!! Must mean the K850i produces shots near to the D40 ;)

Last edited:

Yeah lets have a comp to see which is the better pic?

VaVa

How can comparing images taken by two different people at different times in different locations be a fair comparison of a camera ffs!! Come on!!

I am now thinking of getting the D40 with the twin lens pack

Personally I think you should just get it with the kit lens. Save some money and get to grips with the camera first.

Learn more about it and then think about more lenses.

I think its a touch overkill to spend so much when you know so little atm.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

How can comparing images taken by two different people at different times in different locations be a fair comparison of a camera ffs!! Come on!!

He's implying the d40 is crap compared to the 400d, which i'm prepared to help prove isn't the case. I'm all ears to hear your better idea sweetness...

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I am now thinking of getting the D40 with the twin lens pack

Personally I think you should just get it with the kit lens. Save some money and get to grips with the camera first.

Learn more about it and then think about more lenses.

I think its a touch overkill to spend so much when you know so little atm.

I'm still waiting for some images from you on flickr! get ur finger out boyo