ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SLTA58 or EOS 600D

330Ci cab
i am a novice but pick things up quick, and have used a DSLR a few times and these 2 have caught my eye in the right price bracket.

​any help/advice welcomed

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
My guess would be that the Sony is better specs wise, but if you're investing in a system that you will take further I'd go for the Canon. It's a safe choice basically, a lot of people go for Canon so there's lots of resources and forums to do with it too should you need any help/advice.

I'm sure Brazo will come and object to this but if it was me I'd go for the Canon.

My guess would be that the Sony is better specs wise, but if you're investing in a system that you will take further I'd go for the Canon. It's a safe choice basically, a lot of people go for Canon so there's lots of resources and forums to do with it too should you need any help/advice.

I'm sure Brazo will come and object to this but if it was me I'd go for the Canon.

LOl I'd probably say go for neither ;)

The 600d is nothing to write home about and the Sony A58 is a strange model which doesn't fit the regular entry/mid level/prosumer range of any camera manufacturer. If your starting out I'd look at Nikon models ("as well") especially the 5100/5200.

As for Sony theres plenty of resources, google dyxum for one!

330Ci cab
so, i went to the local store, had a few cameras in front of me to play around with settings wise, get a handle of, and as much as i wanted to, the 600D just wasnt for me. i also looked at a nikon for around the £500 mark and i felt it was a really tough choice between that and the A58. was in there a good hour, took a few snaps and pondered for a while, the bank account took over and said save £100 so i walked out with the A58.

it feels good and sturdy to hold, and the viewfinder took me a little while to adjust to, but it just seems to work well; can instantly see what is focussed, light balance etc (if that makes sense) took a few pics with different settings etc just to get an idea of how it performs, and for a beginner i think it's going to be a very good introduction. part of me thinks maybe i should have given the nikon the benefit of the doubt, but im also pleased with my purchase.

​and cheers for the help and advice guys, it was all taken on board :)