ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sluggish 182

clio 182
Ive had my standard 182 ff for a week now and found it to be quite sluggish up until about 4500 rpms, is this normal? if yes what could i do to improve performance, not looking to spend too much tho as im skint off buying it!
cheers

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
you've pinched Joe's avatar for a kick-off! ;)

they really pick up when you give them some revs, some basic mods would help it out.

inlet work
decat
exhaust
remap
...etc

a lot of owners, myself included tend to go down this route

Rsport182Cup'd
Slugish, WTF check the boot for a dead body, what was you previously driving that wasnt so slugish?

A4 Avant
I wouldn't say it slow before 4500rpm. But things definately get going after then.

Mine pulls a lot better from low down with decat and stainless exhaust fitted.

It it sluggish from cold to 4500rpm?? if it is you'll need to wait till its proper warm before booting it as the ecu is still protecting the engine from high revs when cold.

320d
Liam in crude terms a remap is balancing out the electronic brain of the car (ECU) to give optimum performance in relation to the any modifications that might be on the vehicle. Basic breathing mods as mentioned above such as decat, inlet, exhaust and air filter slightly alter the fuel / air ratio of the car. To get the best performance out of the mods recalibration of the ECU is recommended

What car were you driving before the 182?

clio 182
i was driving a saxo vtr, i know the 182 is alot faster than that but it seems to have an increase in power after 4500 rpms, i didnt know if this was normal as i thought it would deliver the same power thro all the revs.

BMW M3
The cam profile changes at 5000 rpm, prob why you feel a sudden kick. And the characteristic of the engine is that they are a lot faster at high revs.

A remap is the setting in you ECU changed, like fueling/ air mix etc..... Speak to RS Tuning for more info. They are highly recommended on here for that.

To try make the pick up a bit faster, i would improve air flow. Like Sportscat or decat, exhaust, inlet match, ITG panel filter. Might help.

Edit:

Just relised Rich pretty much said it all.

I think the reason you think its sluggish at lower revs is due to the 5 k kick. This is well known and everyones does it ( although not so much with some mods).

182 Trophy
Its the VVT kicking in mate! ;)

I don't think it is a VVT engine...the kick is to do with the Cam profile - complicated mechanical s**t.

Could anyone with a remap tell me how good the torque gains are at about 3500rpm? It would be nicer to drive if there was a bit more torque lower in the revs...

it shouldnt be sluggish at low revs i find my 172 very snappy low down all the way from 2000-5000rpm makes it very nice to drive and it should be streets ahead of a vtr

drive a B series vtec angine and u would see a big difference before it comes on cam.....so little torque in them and def sluggish low down

BMW M3
Its the VVT kicking in mate! ;)

I don't think it is a VVT engine...the kick is to do with the Cam profile - complicated mechanical s**t.

Could anyone with a remap tell me how good the torque gains are at about 3500rpm? It would be nicer to drive if there was a bit more torque lower in the revs...

I think he was joking mate, its is the cam profile but people say VVT for a laugh as alot of people say it by just guessing.

It is a VVT engine but just starts working at around 1800 rpm and not related to the kick.

I noticed a big diff low down in power after a remap. I think its more to do how the power if delivered, so a remap should help.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
i came from a saxo VTR as well and i must say that there is not much in it until you get to the 5K "KICK" then the clio really come to life!

the saxo is not that slow, it only takes 9sec 0-60 because you need to be in 3rd to do it;)

ps dont get me wrong the clio is much better:D

i think vtr's feel quicker than they are given that they are 8v engines and quite snappy low down as they are not waiting on a kick the way a 16v does...mate of mine had one years ago and it was nippy and "felt" sharp but in real speed terms they arent that quick...the sport clios dont give a great sensation of going at speed the way lighter cars do and they have 50lb/ft more torque on average which is quite a bit

320d
The 5k kick is simply due to the profile of the cams

At 5000rpm they come 'on song' aka 'on cam' resulting in the sudden surge of power

clio 182
another quick question for you guys
The steering on my 182 is quite heavy, is that normal? When put on full lock i have to pull the steering wheel back to straighten off while accelerating, i know most cars iv driven the steering wheels will straighten themselves out when exiting a corner
cheers

MINI JCW
another quick question for you guys
The steering on my 182 is quite heavy, is that normal? When put on full lock i have to pull the steering wheel back to straighten off while accelerating, i know most cars iv driven the steering wheels will straighten themselves out when exiting a corner
cheers

The performance in the 182 below 4k isnt what Id describe as really fast, the key is to keep the revs up making sure you are always in the correct gear to make good progress.

The steering in the 182 is very heavy and the turning circle is shocking (not as bad as the V6 though), if you think there is a problem then get it to your local dealer to have a look at.

titanium 182,
to be brutally honest ive driven hundreds of clio sports and they are quite flat low down though rocket off later in the rev range i have just sold my mint astra gte 16v to a friend which was my daily transport i cant emphasize how much more torque it had low down and carried on to 7k
basically it was much faster than a 172/182 all over the rev range sorry to offend but thats the way it is, the clio is still a quick car and to be fair the gte was re mapped, but was sooo much quicker. and before all the neggative well you should of kept it then brigade pipes up:rolleyes: i new this was the case before i purchased the clio,

MINI JCW
Was it deffo faster or did it 'feel' much faster?

The Meg 225 feels alot faster than the 182 but in reality its about a sec quicker to 100 so not a great deal in it

true my vti civic felt faster than the 172 but i know in reality the clio is quicker, they dont feel quick though which is the prob and tbh i always thought mine felt really torquey low down moreso than my rs2000 which had 145 lb/ft the clio has 158lb/ft though i found out on the rolling road