ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sluggish / slow

Clio 1.2 16v
i usede to have a 1.2 8V 1995 corsa, and my 55 plate clio seems slow accelration wise compeared to my old 1.2, id have though it would be faster with it being the sport 75BHP model?

could there be a problem with my car?

spark plugs?
air filter?

or is my car just a slow piece of sh!te?

:cool:

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
The "sport" part means nothing unless it comes after "Renault." It's probably a case of it just being heavier.

320d
You must be joking. The old 1.2 8V Corsa's only had 45bhp. A mate had one, I loved it to pieces he was the 1st one of us to drive so we used to go all over in it. Going to Alton Towers was fun, the back wheel would wine over 70mph if it got there.

My 1.2 was a country mile ahead of it once out of 1st.

BMW E92/Audi S3
You must be joking. The old 1.2 8V Corsa's only had 45bhp. A mate had one, I loved it to pieces he was the 1st one of us to drive so we used to go all over in it. Going to Alton Towers was fun, the back wheel would wine over 70mph if it got there.

HOlY Muchkree

Clio 1.2 16v
my old corsa was really good getting to speed i could get to over 70 in no time at all... just seems my clio is so slow compared to it

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
It's a 1.2 ffs what do you expect, they're sh*t slow, save up for a faster car.

Close thread?

E92 M3

same as mine tbh i have neva been betten by any over 1.2 all my mates say its the fastest 1.2 they have been in as well so think it mite just be your car mate just giv it a good service

Rip all of the seats out excpet drivers, strip all of the the rear stuff, dump the spare and tool kit.

Get a set of lightweight alloys and away you go.

Much faster than your corsa.

Shed.
Do you rev the f**k out of it ?

What ima saying is, to get all the 75bhp out of the engine, rev it to just shy of 6000 rpm.

Why all come in here and say "Its because its a 1.2, there s**t, buy a sport" not everyone has the money to buy sports, whether it be the price to buy them, running costs or insurance costs.

The OP is asking a very simple question and answering "Just buy a sport" isnt really helping the matter, if your not going to help him out, dont say anything.

Anyway, back on topic, I would try giving it a really good service mate, did this to mine and the drive improved quite a bit

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
My 1.2 quite easily beats 1.2 Corsas, and that's with the spare tyre and boot junk.

Stripped it very easily beats them.

Maybe there is something wrong with your car.

Whats the mileage on it?
The 1.2's aren't very consistent, mine had just turned 60k with regular servicing, belt change etc, pulled 100mph in 4th was loose as anything and free revved up to the limiter in anything but 5th.
My mates 04 plate with 15k on the clock at the time was slower than ketchup, felt like a different car, give it a good service then get the hammer down for 10k, she will soon loosen up.

Clio 1.2 16v
Whats the mileage on it?
The 1.2's aren't very consistent, mine had just turned 60k with regular servicing, belt change etc, pulled 100mph in 4th was loose as anything and free revved up to the limiter in anything but 5th.
My mates 04 plate with 15k on the clock at the time was slower than ketchup, felt like a different car, give it a good service then get the hammer down for 10k, she will soon loosen up.

theres 32k on the clock, i have a feeling my tires have something to do with it aswell tho, ther REALLY wide,

im going to give the car a look over see whats what and see if theres anything i can do,

ahh after looking over your post again, could this be a problem its still only got 32k on the clock?

Renaultsport 200
Why all come in here and say "Its because its a 1.2, there s**t, buy a sport" not everyone has the money to buy sports, whether it be the price to buy them, running costs or insurance costs.

The OP is asking a very simple question and answering "Just buy a sport" isnt really helping the matter, if your not going to help him out, dont say anything.

Anyway, back on topic, I would try giving it a really good service mate, did this to mine and the drive improved quite a bit

No one said anything of the sort.

The old 1.2 8v engine in the Corsa is very wheezy and the 1.2 16v engine in the Clio should feel much better. As someone already said, they should feel fairly nippy for the engine size.

The 1.2 16v is slightly slower than a 106/saxo 1.1!! Ain't nippy for it's size. A Punto Sporting is nippy for a 1.2 though.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Is it a MK3? Because they are heavier than the MK2... The MK2 is reasonably nippy, the MK3 seems not so unless its the tce version.

Punto sporting ftw!!! I had a Broom Yellow Mk1 before my GT, my god it loved to rev, beat my mate is his older 1.6 sporting. Good lumps them fire engines.

The 1.2 16v is slightly slower than a 106/saxo 1.1!! Ain't nippy for it's size. A Punto Sporting is nippy for a 1.2 though.

Lol that's one of the best things I herd in ages! trust me a 1.1 saxo is never as quick!! and neither is a 1.4 106 or the diesel!!!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Gayest thread ever.

But on a serious note, drove a few 1.2's before I got mine, Punto sporting was by far the nippiest of them all, but the interior is disgraceful.

1.2's are slow. I own one but I just live in the real world, deal with it.

But slow compared to what? 172s are slow, and TBH the Buggati Veyron is slow!
I know my car is slow compared to a 1*2. And i will quite happily say that! but it knocks the socks of my friends 1.1 Saxo.

are you using the standard wheels? when i put alloys on my old clio it slowed it right down! put the original ones that were about as wide as a push bike wheel back on and it was abit faster and a few extra mpg!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
But slow compared to what? 172s are slow, and TBH the Buggati Veyron is slow!
I know my car is slow compared to a 1*2. And i will quite happily say that! but it knocks the socks of my friends 1.1 Saxo.
Didn't think it was possible to go much slower.