ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clio 182 Cup Racing Blue

RacingBeaut

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Hello, first time posting as a new member.

Recently I decided that I wanted to return to something cheaper to own. Having driven my brother's Clio 172, the decision was made.

I purchased the car in November, from a gentleman near Gainsborough. The car was being sold on behalf of his son, who had owned the car for six years. There is a good amount of paperwork and practically full history with the car, including the original bill of sale. The odometer readout was 140k miles.

The spec of the car as I purchased it was: Eibach Sportline springs; Whiteline rear anti-roll bar; cat-back Scorpion RS 192 exhaust; Powerflex dog bone mount; Team Heko wind deflectors; braided front brake lines; upgraded front brake pads; driver's Sparco bucket seat; a Pioneer stereo; front Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R tyres and rear Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres.

It had been serviced recently, however there was no receipt or invoice for the timing belt present though the owner assured me it had been replaced during his son's ownership. So, being happy with the car I purchased it and drove it to my parents' home. That week, the OSF wheel bearing and ABS sensor were replaced, and wind deflectors removed.

This week, I returned to my parents' home having received my delivery from Renault Parts Direct and the following was replaced: timing belt; water pump; aux belt; dephaser; oil; oil filter; air filter; pollen filter; spark plugs and coolant. Then we refitted the factory stereo and aligned the rear plate. In addition, we cleared the driver's side sill drains, then removed the OSF inner arch liner and removed said build up:

IMG_0253.png

Having already checked beneath the scuttle panel which was clear, this should remedy my footwell being damp. We also applied sealant around the grommets adjacent to the rear lights, as the boot mat was damp (I've removed this to allow it to dry and make it easier to see if water returns).

The car was then given its first clean in my ownership:

IMG_0264.png

Here it is with my brother's Clio 172:

IMG_0267.png

Mechanically the car is sorted for now.

There are a few jobs I'd like to do in the future:
  • Replace the steering wheel (Volantech with cruise panel)
  • Replace the wheels (Speedline Turinis or 2118s in 15 inch)
  • Fit a reduced front registration plate
  • Fit a Fabia vRs splitter (missing the original)
  • Remove the stripes (unsure as they are original)
  • Fit a new OS exhaust bush (currently perished)
  • Change the gearbox oil
  • Replace the Sparco seat with a standard item
  • Have marks and minor dents touched in
This forum has been very useful so far, hence I thought I'd sign up and contribute.

RacingBeaut

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Looks like a good purchase! My boot had water coming in too. It was from these plastic bungs. Might be worth checking yours. I replaced them with nylon bolts.

Hi, yes those are the bungs I applied silicone sealant to. Hopefully it’s stopped the leak, otherwise I’ll try your method:)

RacingBeaut

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Nice work so far mate.

Welcome btw. Plenty of useful information and helpful members on here. Plus theres plenty of banter flowing around to make you smile.
Thanks, its been very useful so far. Lots of build threads to binge read as well which I enjoy

RacingBeaut

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Great cars. Plenty of helpful advise on here. Bought mine standard 14*months ago done a few bits and love it. Main thing is to enjoy it
Hi, enjoying it so far it’s good to be back in something more of a drivers car than my previous car. Track days are definitely something I want to get into next year.

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
They are so much fun on track, esp the shorter tighter ones. That's main reason I stick to brands indy and the fact it's just to local. Need to venture further afield next year Bedford is def happening

RacingBeaut

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
They are so much fun on track, esp the shorter tighter ones. That's main reason I stick to brands indy and the fact it's just to local. Need to venture further afield next year Bedford is def happening
Yeah they really come alive on twisty bits of road. I’m lucky that Teesside Autodrome is local to my parents home, so I’ll probably have my first track experience there with my brother.

RacingBeaut

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Update time.

Purchased and fitted an aluminium footrest:

49352035437_c34511601e_o.jpg
Untitled by Joshua Tarnai, on Flickr

Replaced the key battery as well.

49362393512_673aa10270_o.jpg

Then made the trip to collect some new wheels courtesy of @mossyv6 . These were recently refurbed and came with 2 Nankangs and 2 Goodyears fitted.

49367138677_472df536ba_o.jpg

As much as I liked them, I wasn't happy with the condition of the stripes:

49351413648_de7fa84bcd_o.jpg

49351875586_e9f77797f3_o.jpg

49351415213_40e5fcd445_o.jpg

So, booked in at Total Valeting in Thornaby to have them removed, as well as the cup decals on the side skirts and the Renault badge from the bottled. Very happy with the outcome.

49384061096_dd47b34c49_o.jpg

49384060191_9729c1b232_o.jpg

49384256477_c718278f5c_o.jpg

49384256507_bd796e329c_o.jpg

Much happier with how it looks now, I know some will mourn the loss of the stripes but they were passed their best. Next post will be detailing attacking the small amount of surface rust inside the rear sills.

Stuflac

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Looks good without the stripes. Is there much difference between the paint where the stripes were?

RacingBeaut

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Looks good without the stripes. Is there much difference between the paint where the stripes were?
I expected the paint beneath the stripes to be quite different, and it was so I’m glad I booked it in. They had to go further than simply machining and actually wet sanded to get it to blend in. There’s still a slight difference but it’s very subtle.

The bonnet has some rust on the leading edge, so whenever I get round to having that repaired I’ll likely get the rest painted too.

RacingBeaut

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
So after reading and seeing that some Clios suffer from rust in the inner arches, I had a look at mine. My brother recently did his which kind of spurred me on to inspect my own, seeing as my car has done twice the mileage.

Drivers side:

49356818628_823a4525f0_o.jpg

Passenger side:

49357279026_13e3dfb15e_o.jpg

Nothing major really and not as bad as some I'd seen. Made a start wire brushing what was there, then vacuuming the loose debris before applying some Bilt Hamber goodness:

49379019576_9393700ded_o.jpg

49389894831_78bd203282_o.jpg

49390091497_ce5e7159e8_o.jpg

Left this to dry before adding a second coat, then finished with a few coats of the following:

49389894801_3f1b93eb7b_o.jpg

49394178683_8be9a8d48f_o.jpg

49394855057_c11cfc7723_o.jpg

Overall not too bad of a job and I'm glad I've done it now for the peace of mind. Gave the rear of the interior a quick clean up whilst it was all out as well

49357482457_5eb3535ae9_o.jpg

49357477612_be3f105b1c_o.jpg

Well worth having a look at your inner arches if you haven't, took about 20 minutes to remove the rear bench and door cards, most annoying part being the stupid torx where the threads are exposed to the bottom of the car.