ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

small ice upgrade advice

E87 118i

Ive got the standard set up in my mk2 1.6 phase 1 *yawn*

what would you recomend for a small upgrade, please dont say head unit, thats a keeper for various reason, could I add a 10" sub powerd by a small amp ? I dont think there are pre-outs for an amp, can you connect it where the current back speakers are ? Im a little clue less here

thanks

E87 118i

ok, did a bit of a search, seems yu cant conneect an amp to it, should I go the 6x9 route then, had some nice jbls before with a pioneer h/unit, no amp, certainly had more "bass" (i use that term loosley) than I do now ?

what ya think ? from what Ive read before seems most here are aginst 6x9s

so if you have anything else to suggest I will appreciate it.

you can connect a amp to the original head unit, but why? its absolutely dire, even if you only spend £100 on a head unit, it will almost certainly be better than the oem unit

6x9s are a big no-no from me, completely destroy the sound stage in the car, you should only hear treble from the front, bass is not directional, so you can place a sub anywwhere in a car, and in theory, you will hear the same thing

best set-up for any car IMHO

Head Unit
Front Components (2 or 3 way) in Front Doors/Footwell
8/10" Subwoofer in custom enclosure (correct volume)
Amp to Power Sub
Amp to Power Components (optional)

E87 118i

ok, thats good advice, but quality h/unit is too expensive (im in south africa) and soon as theres is an after market unit, someone will try steal it, I like not having to fuss with a clip off face, and the appearance is so drab that it draws no attention to it.

so how do you connect the amp to the unit ? anyone succesfully done it ?

you need to find an amp that offers a high-line in connection

you then disconnect the rear speaker cables and crimp the highline cable to the open end, run the cable to where the amp will be kept, you will also need to put a switchable 12v connection to the amp so that you can dictate when the amp is turned on/off, as a constant 12v draw would drain the battery overnight, all other cables as normal

head unit is your choice, but the after market option is far easier and far more flexible

E87 118i

ok, spoke to a shop here, looks like Im gonna go for a 10" sub + amp. (hopefully one with high level inputs, most seem to have this already or they got a "converter" they can fit)

Ive designed a nice small sealed box that will fit neatly and not take up too much space, question now is, what stops the box from sliding around, is it heavy enough to just it there, even around some fast corners, or do you guys velcro it or something, sotty for all the newbie qs, maybe someone has a good line to a site which explains all these types of things

thanks

velcro to the bottom of the box will hold it in place (most of the time) other than that its a case of making a false floor and screwing it to that

there is a convertor you can get to turn the speaker cable into rca connectors, but im not a fan of them, and personally have never recommended them to anyone

E87 118i

went to another dealer today, looked at some nice JBL stuff (I had JBL speakers in my toyota before, and was happy, 4" 2-ways up fron ta and 3 way 6x9s at the back)

anyways, he recommended I first put a proper set of components up front like the JBL 5 1/4", a little pricey, like twice the price of a 10" sub, question is now, will a notice a proper difference if I hook em up to my std h/unit?

if you are interested in quality, the nthe more yuo pay for the front components, the bestter your system will sounds (generally)

personally im not a fan of jbl, but i know of others that are, its a love them or hate them brand, i find that the equivalently priced infinity speakers are a better bet, both in terms of build quality and sound quality

you will notice a big difference in sound, as the standard speakers are dreadful

but as above with the recommended system, components and sub are easily the best combination for sound quality

E87 118i

ok almost there, will start with the 10" sub and amp combo at back then upgrade comps up front, seems the whole world is in agreement with that set up for a good quality small sound set-up.

remember for the best fitment, remove that luggage netr rail from the back of the boot, its not a structural part of the car, so can be removed without any detrimental effect