ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smart watches.. talk to me?

Mk1
Hi chaps, due to the epic response in my other thread about Mac's, I now need to hone your advice on decent smartwatches haha!!

I've had a Samsung gear fit 2 for a while, which has served it's purpose I guess, never really excited me. Good for counting steps with S health and that's about it, the HR monitor is gash on it.

Then came the gear S3 which looks far better but again didn't excite me enough to make a purchase. Plus it didn't seem that good for HR monitor stuff. Too pricey for what it is.

Now.. the Gear (S4) called the galaxy watch has literally just come out, it looks nice and similar to the S3 but is it actually any good?

I want a watch to sync with my phone (Likely always a Samsung../whore) I do a fair bit of running and gym so would benefit from steps / GPS (Strava usage) and even workout tracking maybe. Being waterproof would be a bonus.

From what I've seen, Garmin do very nice pieces of kit, but would these work nicely with Samsung phones / S health?

Cheers lads!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I have the gear S3...how is the HR monitor gash on it? I can't fault it...it's reliable and accurate...and as a device does enough of the things I want one to do.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Garmin, I've had a vivoactive HR for years now, great bit of kit and use it for swimming etc and Bluetooth to the phone for notifications etc.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I really liked the Gear S2 but they've just got too big now for my puny wrists!

Currently rocking a Microsoft Band, but will be upgrading to Apple Watch next year... the new one just looks amazing.

Only other consideration I'm having is the new Withings. I know a couple of other people with the older ones and they're very happy with them for more basic stuff (good if you like the look of normal watches)

steel-hr-sport.jpg

Mk1
I have the gear S3...how is the HR monitor gash on it? I can't fault it...it's reliable and accurate...and as a device does enough of the things I want one to do.
Sorry bud I said the HR monitor was Gash on the S2 not the S3. It just seems very random and not very accurate compared with a proper HR monitor I have worn on my chest. I read various reviews saying similar for the S3 so had assumed it wasn't all that..!

Those saying garmin, is the forerunner 235 a viable option? Ive read goof stuff about it, but it seems pretty old now? Is there a new one coming? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Forerunner is very targeted at... well... runners ;)

If you want a more generalised fitness/smart watch the Vivoactive 3 Music is supposed to be very good, currently £240 on Amazon. My Vivosmart HR is over two years old now and giving up the ghost (it’s had a hard life, so I’m pretty impressed it’s lasted this long) so I’ll need a replacement soon. If I can’t stretch to an Apple Watch, and TBH I really don’t need to, then that’s what I’ll get.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Just resurrecting this thread - I just bought a Ticwatch E for £115 from Amazon.

Runs Wear OS 2, dirt cheap, fitness tracking works really well, screen is decent, battery life is gash but lasts a day at least.

For the money, I'm amazed. Check out the reviews.

Mk1
Thanks mate, I still haven't got one as I was holding out for the new samsung galaxy watch

Unfortunately most of the reviews are VERY hit and miss. Apparently it's worse than the S3 watch as they took some NST monitor thing off it. So many reports of it not working correctly which is disappointing

I'm swaying towards a garmin now tbh but annoying to have yet another fitness app installed...

That ticwatch does look exceptionally good value for money!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Thread bump.

The Missus is contemplating getting one.

Samsung's offerings any good? She does a lot of running but think the Garmin is a bit expensive.

I'm clueless on these things.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I'm in the market for an android smart watch, any recommendations?

Thd fitbit one looks Hood