ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smashed iPhone 4 screen

The other half dropped her 4 onto a tiled floor... resulting in the screen shattering into lots of pieces. The screen protector is holding it all together, and the phone still works fine. Touch screen works fine.

Now, as much as I bugged her to insure it through her bank, she never did it. Does anyone know how much Apple charge to replace the screen? The phone is 4 months new on Vodafone.

Ta.

Just a case of taking it in and leaving it with them? Is the work warranted?

I considered getting it insured, then claiming next week... but there's a £60 excess so may as well do it legit.

Wicked... Genius appointment made for next weekend.
She'll be happy with a refurb, or even just a new sheet of glass stuck on tbh.

Ta.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, they won't repair it there and then, they'll just exchange her device. Make sure she backs up.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Ballache, but fine if you're strapped for cash I believe.
Now the glass back, 2 screws and push, 1 min tops.

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Good call. She was at home when she dropped it, too.

Just a £50 excess. (Assuming she didn't increase it!) Check her documents though, alot of company's only cover phones up to £250 or something daft like that. If she has personal possession cover aswell she's cover anywhere in the world, not just in the house :cool:

Rav4
Apple charge 129 I think mate.

Revels, is this still the case (cost wise)?

I have a colleague who's smashed their iPhone 4 front screen, there is a place near by that replaces the screen for £90.

Research on the internet states that with apple, it's the full cost for a replacement, I don't see how that is right.

Have booked an appointment today @ covent garden just in case.

Thanks,

G.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Don't get an ebay screen. If anything fails then you cannot go back to apple with it under warranty still. I do all my own repairs on iPhone's but I know a re-seller and authorized apple repair center who can do it anyway and get me the parts myself.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
£129 mate. It's an exchange service direct from Apple with 90 days Apple warrantee IIRC.

This has always confused me. If say I bought a brand new iPhone from them yesterday, today i drop it and go back to them for a like for like replacement. Do I then only get the 90 warranty even though i have 364 days left on my standard 1 year apple care?

Rav4
This has always confused me. If say I bought a brand new iPhone from them yesterday, today i drop it and go back to them for a like for like replacement. Do I then only get the 90 warranty even though i have 364 days left on my standard 1 year apple care?

+1

! I have no idea what would happen on this instance. The iPhone that's going for repair is outside it's warranty status, but wonder what would happen with the example above.

It isn't being repaired. It's being replaced.

Warranty has nothing to do with it. You're paying for the new screen.

My other half went to Apple after smashing her iphone4 no insurance either. They said it would cost £139 then when we got to the tech guys they gave it her for free as it was her first time.

Everyone in the trafford centre that day got free replacements 3gs, ipad, macs etc.

True story :)

Rav4
Phone replaced for brand new one.

£139, however, apparently if it was within the warranty (12 days out) and depending on how it broke + the Apple guru feels, you can get a discount of that £139.

Waited 30 minutes over my appointment, the lady was really polite.

As the phone was out of Warranty, this new one has 3 extra months now :) sadly, wasn't able to purchase apple care.

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
I know this. But hypothetically speaking, why do I only get 90days warranty with the new one when I bought one yesterday with 1 year?

Any remanufactured unit through the Genius Bar gets a 90 day warranty or the remainder of your initial warranty... (whichever is longest.)

however, seeing as your iPhone was only a day old, why on Earth didnt you just get it swapped for a brand new handset through your 14 days faulty return policy?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Any remanufactured unit through the Genius Bar gets a 90 day warranty or the remainder of your initial warranty... (whichever is longest.)

however, seeing as your iPhone was only a day old, why on Earth didnt you just get it swapped for a brand new handset through your 14 days faulty return policy?

Because it was a hypothetical situation as stated lol.

But thanks for clearing that up for me.